MOUNTAIN BIKING AT KILLINGTON - DEDICATED THREAD

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

MOUNTAIN BIKING AT KILLINGTON - DEDICATED THREAD

Post by Highway Star »

Hi everybody, just wanted to start a thread to discuss Killington's mountain biking! From what I hear about how smooth and easy some of the new trails are, I'll now be able to take my NEXT up there and hit it some time in the coming weeks!

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread ... he-trails-!" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Re: MOUNTAIN BIKING AT KILLINGTON - DEDICATED THREAD

Post by johnny the jibber »

NEXT is good quality! rip that shiz...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Griswold
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Griswold »

I tried mountain biking for the 1st time yesterday and had a ton of fun. Really liked the blue and black trails off of k1 and down through Skye peak. No idea what the trail names are but we crossed the Stash a few times. Was not a fan of the trails on snowdon. They had the race yesterday in that area so we had to detour a few times and lost the trails. Yeah, I didn't know the area with it being my first time biking but at one point we ended up way down near the snowdon quad and had to bike up the hill to get back to the gondola. Think there could have been better markings for people who aren't familiar with the bike trails. If I did it again I would spend more time on snowshed. I thought those trails were awesome.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Is there much opportunity for those of us that are fans of the up as much as the down? I always liked riding up Snowshed crossover to Bear to the old gondi line to the peak BEFORE the lift opened. That route was bad once the newbies started bombing it.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

spanky wrote:Is there much opportunity for those of us that are fans of the up as much as the down? I always liked riding up Snowshed crossover to Bear to the old gondi line to the peak BEFORE the lift opened. That route was bad once the newbies started bombing it.
You can find plenty of uphill sections...
ImageImageImageImage
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Stormchaser wrote:
spanky wrote:Is there much opportunity for those of us that are fans of the up as much as the down? I always liked riding up Snowshed crossover to Bear to the old gondi line to the peak BEFORE the lift opened. That route was bad once the newbies started bombing it.
You can find plenty of uphill sections...
plenty of climbing at pittsfield and ascutney too...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

I'm happy to see you have the initiative to climb uphill. Most don't.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

I see people riding up the work roads but you really need to be careful because people, myself included, haul holy ass down those roads heading to the single tracks in some locations.
hollywood
Black Carver

Post by hollywood »

I will be heading up to VT this weekend, and plan to ride K both Saturday and Sunday. If anyone is interested in riding let me know and we can meet up. I'm looking forward to riding the new Snowshed terrain. Also seeing the big K busy with Summer activities. Most times I have been up in the summer it is pretty much a ghost town.
Happy hour's come and gone -
much too short and much too long
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

It's not about biking at K but I checked out a couple new places down here in NY. Actually one was in Joisey. Ringwood park in Ringwood, NJ. Very big area with a lot of trails. Very technical riding. All rocks. Like miles and miles of baby head rock gardens. Lot of switch backs and good flow. Tough climbs too. Great place but easy to get lost if you are not with someone who knows the area. Full suspension is highly recommended but a decent XC bike would be fine. Not a lot of jumps or drops that I could find but there was some cool rollers and again, very technical.
The other new spot was Sprain Ridge state park in Yonkers. Small, compact area but awesome trails. Not very technical for the most part and not very rocky compared to everywhere else north of Joisey and east of the Hudson River. Lots of huge boulders and granite ridges to ride. But not a lot of small rocks. But loads and loads of sick drops and jumps and some really cool skinnys. The drops made this place awesome!! I was launching my enduro. I even dropped a nice 6 footer with a tough approach but I endoed and almost lost it. There was a 4 footer followed by a 3 footer followed by another 4 footer. I did it with some control the for the 1st try. For the second attempt I just let it fly and almost crashed on the last 4 footer. One if the guys had a helmet cam. I can't wait to see the look on my face launching off the 6 footer and almost crashing. That should be good for a laugh.
hollywood
Black Carver

Post by hollywood »

Woodsrider wrote:It's not about biking at K but I checked out a couple new places down here in NY. Actually one was in Joisey. Ringwood park in Ringwood, NJ. Very big area with a lot of trails. Very technical riding. All rocks. Like miles and miles of baby head rock gardens. Lot of switch backs and good flow. Tough climbs too. Great place but easy to get lost if you are not with someone who knows the area. Full suspension is highly recommended but a decent XC bike would be fine. Not a lot of jumps or drops that I could find but there was some cool rollers and again, very technical.
The other new spot was Sprain Ridge state park in Yonkers. Small, compact area but awesome trails. Not very technical for the most part and not very rocky compared to everywhere else north of Joisey and east of the Hudson River. Lots of huge boulders and granite ridges to ride. But not a lot of small rocks. But loads and loads of sick drops and jumps and some really cool skinnys. The drops made this place awesome!! I was launching my enduro. I even dropped a nice 6 footer with a tough approach but I endoed and almost lost it. There was a 4 footer followed by a 3 footer followed by another 4 footer. I did it with some control the for the 1st try. For the second attempt I just let it fly and almost crashed on the last 4 footer. One if the guys had a helmet cam. I can't wait to see the look on my face launching off the 6 footer and almost crashing. That should be good for a laugh.
Your description of Ringwood is spot on. Hadn't been there in over 5 years, but me and a buddy went in June and had a great ride - they definitely added a lot of trails recently.

Rocks, rocks and more rocks is what you get in Northern Jersey and ROCKland county NY.

I rode the big K on Sunday. I did four trips up Snowshed and 2 up the K1. I like the new, fast stuff at Snowshed - it's a good change of pace, but I still prefer the more technical riding you can get to from K1. Hoping to get back there in a few weeks.
Happy hour's come and gone -
much too short and much too long
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Does Killington close the mountain biking operation during the Spartan Race on Sept 19-20?
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

Highway Star wrote:Does Killington close the mountain biking operation during the Spartan Race on Sept 19-20?
I believe they do.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Specialized makes some great mountain bikes!

Devils Fiddle
Black Carver

Post by Devils Fiddle »

Been riding the Beast the last few weekends. Kudos to Gravity Logic and the Killington Staff. What a turn around. Great flow trails and some great additions to some of the older trails with new banks and a few drops.

Does anyone know how much more will be added or are they near the end of there budget with Gravity Logic?