Saturday 11-28-2015 K1 on hold till 9am

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

shortski
Site Admin

Saturday 11-28-2015 K1 on hold till 9am

Post by shortski »

Conditions report show K1 on hold till 9AM.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Saturday 11-28-2015 K1 on hold till 9am

Post by skiadikt »

weather doesn't look good but certainly not helpful.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

shortski wrote:Conditions report show K1 on hold till 9AM.
K-1 Express Gondola is on temporary hold with a time estimate of 10:30 a.m.
So much for another control systems "upgrade" this year... :roll:
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Creative "challenging visibility" skiing off Superstar - had fun until newbies started coming out and it just got scary . . . although Killington does all they can to keep our sport going . . . we need Mother Nature to get her part done!!!!

Think snow :wink:
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Did they get the fog horn operational :wink:

Resounding affirmation on the 'think' comment !

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Spyderman
Bumper

Post by Spyderman »

Knowing K-1 was down till 9, then extended till 9:30am and then 10:30am we went direct to Snowden Quad. Skied immediately to North Ridge. Took five foggy but bearable visibility runs in soft heavy snow. Middle of Upper East Fall worn with lots of dirt spots to navigate . Rime & Reason held up as did Bunny Buster & Chute at Snowden. The visibility / snow surface rate a 4 out of 10. As more newbies arrived, it was time to escape safe and wait till tomorrow when dropping temps and clearer skies should yield a more typical ski experience. We are so lucky to have Killington pulling out all the stops to make lemon aid out of the lemons Mother Nature has delt us for the holiday. Think snow! :lol:
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I started skiing at 8 AM and was disappointed that the K1 was not running. Headed to the Superstar quad and did laps on that. Visibility was low due to the fog so we did not know if the K1 had started running but decided to go over that way and check it out. Since it was still on hold, we headed for Snowdon quad and since there were quite a few people on those trails and the poma was also down, we went over to the North Ridge triple where the line was non-existent and did laps there until the K1 started running and the line got long. We then chose to do some laps off the quad. This whole time the fog was present. Decided to quit when I almost had a collision with a boarder on Lower Bunny. It just is not worth it to get injured this early in the season and besides I had already skied for 4 hours.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Hazy misty fog cover settled over the mountain for the day. Started on the Snowdon quad as the K1 Gondola took the first couple of hours off. Snow surface stayed fairly soft overnight. Laps on the North Ridge found the temperature dropping making some freezing fog. Before the morning was over the guns were turned back on Double Dipper. Bumps on Lower Skyelark had many delightful lines with some thin spots that required careful navigation. Made an early exit to hit the farmers market as the holiday crowd filled the slopes.

Grade B-

Quote of the Day - We will have anything to eat as long as it is not turkey.
Attachments
Clearing out.jpg
Clearing out.jpg (33.5 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Superstar Awaits.jpg
Superstar Awaits.jpg (64.05 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Guns back on.jpg
Guns back on.jpg (38.51 KiB) Viewed 588 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

It is days like these that really highlight how crappy the Killington trail intersection designs are. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam. But it is really bad early season. I am now calling the bunny buster, mouse trap, lower chute, great northern intersection collision corner. They really need to rethink that intersection. It is downright dangerous. Trying to get from mouse trap to lower chute is crazy. They really need to figure out how to manage traffic there. Rime, reason, upper east fall, great northern intersection is not much better either.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

I am now calling the bunny buster, mouse trap, lower chute, great northern intersection collision corner.
It has been historically been called the "bowling alley".
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Woodsrider wrote:It is days like these that really highlight how crappy the Killington trail intersection designs are. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam. But it is really bad early season. I am now calling the bunny buster, mouse trap, lower chute, great northern intersection collision corner. They really need to rethink that intersection. It is downright dangerous. Trying to get from mouse trap to lower chute is crazy. They really need to figure out how to manage traffic there. Rime, reason, upper east fall, great northern intersection is not much better either.
Whatza matter? The woods aren't in yet?
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

GSKI wrote:
I am now calling the bunny buster, mouse trap, lower chute, great northern intersection collision corner.
Oh yeah I forgot. Appropriate name. I wonder how many lost ticket sales result from the poor trail layout. Everyone in my family, except me of course, took one run and said hell with this. They were too afraid of getting hit to ski. Fixing it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. Separate mouse trap and racers edge from chute and great northern with a long fence. If your on chute or great northern you either go down great northern, chute or caper. If your on Mouse trap or racers edge you go down Bunny buster or mouse run. Maybe leave a small opening for crossing over down lower by mouse run.
Or just don't use snowdon for early season. Blow Ramshead instead and use east fall for early ttb.
blakeslee_a
Black Carver

Post by blakeslee_a »

Woodsrider wrote:
GSKI wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot. Appropriate name. I wonder how many lost ticket sales result from the poor trail layout. Everyone in my family, except me of course, took one run and said hell with this. They were too afraid of getting hit to ski. Fixing it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. Separate mouse trap and racers edge from chute and great northern with a long fence. If your on chute or great northern you either go down great northern, chute or caper. If your on Mouse trap or racers edge you go down Bunny buster or mouse run. Maybe leave a small opening for crossing over down lower by mouse run.
Or just don't use snowdon for early season. Blow Ramshead instead and use east fall for early ttb.
They typically have speed gates where chute and MT intersect with GN. Were they in place? While very annoying and the gaps between always get scraped off, it is a decent solution to get people to slow down and avoid collisions
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

blakeslee_a wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:
GSKI wrote:
They typically have speed gates where chute and MT intersect with GN. Were they in place? While very annoying and the gaps between always get scraped off, it is a decent solution to get people to slow down and avoid collisions
they had them mid-week.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

blakeslee_a wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:
GSKI wrote:
Yes they were in place. Like a band aid on a bullet wound.