Transitioning to bike Season

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Re: Transitioning to bike Season

Post by Woodsrider »

That video looked real enough to me. The grizzly just wasn't hungry. Probably being territorial. It sound like someone else was shooting at it and that's why it took off. If I rode in woods populated with grizzly bears I would have nothing smaller than a 45 within easy reach at all times.

I did encounter a black bear while riding my dirtbike years ago and it scared the bejesus out of me. Fraction of the size of that monster grizzly. I was hauling down some winding single track with thick brush on both sides and came around a blind fast corner to find a big old black bear on the trail right in front of me. I had no time to stop and no place to turn. My first thought was if I don't kill it when I hit it, its going to maul the crap out of me. Fortunately it turned and ran down the trail and I just missed hitting it. It ran about a hundred feet down the trail and turned into the woods and disappeared.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

http://www.bearcozy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-went-s ... 00543.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Wow! That's scary. I love the bear cozy invention and now I'm thinking bear spray in a ski pole may be a good invention too. Guess that won't help us snowboarders though.
I may be getting paranoid but I rode with a machete in my camel back yesterday when I went out alone.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

finally finished my "trail" bike refurb....2x9 SRAM/Avid to 2x10 full XT...only a quick rip around the yard for testing purposes... wish I took the pic before I got the tries dirty...they looked badass all new shiny black rubber...

mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

madhatter wrote:finally finished my "trail" bike refurb....2x9 SRAM/Avid to 2x10 full XT...only a quick rip around the yard for testing purposes... wish I took the pic before I got the tries dirty...they looked badass all new shiny black rubber...

Nice setup! Trail King front and back? I was looking at those also. Decided to go for the Maxxis Ardent front and back. Awesome tire and got an awesome deal at Bike Nashbar...
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

RENO wrote:
madhatter wrote:finally finished my "trail" bike refurb....2x9 SRAM/Avid to 2x10 full XT...only a quick rip around the yard for testing purposes... wish I took the pic before I got the tries dirty...they looked badass all new shiny black rubber...

Nice setup! Trail King front and back? I was looking at those also. Decided to go for the Maxxis Ardent front and back. Awesome tire and got an awesome deal at Bike Nashbar...
I had them on the original build and really liked them so I went w another set, they are full UST on UST rims...ice tehc xt brakes are supposed to be the schnizz, we'll see, the elixir cr's were pretty lame... I wasn't impressed...I have Formula TheOne on my Knolly, those ARE the schnizz...

I'll post some pics of my Knolly build, which was once a pink bike, that I bought from pinkbike...as a bare frame...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

What are your likes and dislikes with the TK and MA tires? I have been reading up on them. I've been running Hans Dampf front and rear and while traction is awesome in a wide variety of conditions, the rear wears out real fast and side knobs tear up with aggressive use. Rear isn't the best rolling tire either. But it still pretty damn good for a lightweight enduro tire. Once slightly worn they loose their traction edge. I just bought a Nobby Nic for the rear. So I'm going to try out a HD/NN combo in snakeskin trailstar compound. Hoping for a magic northeast combo.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Woodsrider wrote:What are your likes and dislikes with the TK and MA tires? I have been reading up on them. I've been running Hans Dampf front and rear and while traction is awesome in a wide variety of conditions, the rear wears out real fast and side knobs tear up with aggressive use. Rear isn't the best rolling tire either. But it still pretty damn good for a lightweight enduro tire. Once slightly worn they loose their traction edge. I just bought a Nobby Nic for the rear. So I'm going to try out a HD/NN combo in snakeskin trailstar compound. Hoping for a magic northeast combo.
trail kings seem to work well in all conditions IMO, and they roll nice too...The wife has a hans dampf front on her ibis, just put one on the back too... Guess I'll have some side by side comparison material eventually... Kenda El moco's on my DH bike, they been fine too....back tire gets chewed up and de-knobbed by end of the season for sure... par I assume...
mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

knolly build I bought this as a bare frame and picked all the bits and parts myself....quite time consuming but it's a sweet ride and I;ve done almost nothing since then except change brake pads and tires outside of the weekly post ride wash and lube...

mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

madhatter wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:What are your likes and dislikes with the TK and MA tires? I have been reading up on them. I've been running Hans Dampf front and rear and while traction is awesome in a wide variety of conditions, the rear wears out real fast and side knobs tear up with aggressive use. Rear isn't the best rolling tire either. But it still pretty damn good for a lightweight enduro tire. Once slightly worn they loose their traction edge. I just bought a Nobby Nic for the rear. So I'm going to try out a HD/NN combo in snakeskin trailstar compound. Hoping for a magic northeast combo.
trail kings seem to work well in all conditions IMO, and they roll nice too...The wife has a hans dampf front on her ibis, just put one on the back too... Guess I'll have some side by side comparison material eventually... Kenda El moco's on my DH bike, they been fine too....back tire gets chewed up and de-knobbed by end of the season for sure... par I assume...
initial testing on @ 1hr dirt road ride has the trail kings w significantly less rolling resistance vs the hans dampf...both bikes had the tires super inflated for ease of pedaling on what we knew would be just dirt road w little to no technical aspect...all things equal the TK's were much easier to get rolling and keep rolling while the hans dampf provided a more damp, plush feeling even w them inflated to about 50lbs...For trail riding we are both pretty light weight and run 28-32 lbs tubeless in most conditions...won't have a trail ride report for a little while longer but will update when I do....
mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

http://www.killington.com/site/culture/ ... rk-preview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted by The Beast on April 27, 2016
More trails, more lifts and more flow at the Killington Bike Park.

3 lifts, 27 miles, 35 trails, 1,972 vertical drop – it’s the summer of send.

OPENING WEEKEND

Killington Bike Park trails in the Snowshed area open for the season on Saturday, May 28, 2016, served by the Snowshed Express on weekends and holidays until daily lift operations of the Snowshed Express Quad and K-1 Express Gondola kickoff on June 18. Additional lift service for mountain biking via the Ramshead Express Quad chairlift will begin in late July as the first new downhill mountain bike trails in that area open.

v v v v

BEAST OF THE EAST PRO GRT
KILLINGTON / WINTER ACTIVITIES / EVENTS / EVENTS CALENDAR / BEAST OF THE EAST PRO GRT
Killington Bike Park
Thu Jul 28 - Sun Jul 31
The USA Cycling Pro Gravity Tour will be stopping at the Killington Bike Park for a Downhill event.

The Pro GRT is a USA Cycling sanctioned event.

DATES
July 28 - 31, 2016

Stay tuned for more details
mach es sehr schnell

jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I find it interesting that they are committed to operating 3 lifts in the summer. Having never done any DH MTB, is there really enough business to sustain 3 lift operations?
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

jimmywilson69 wrote:I find it interesting that they are committed to operating 3 lifts in the summer. Having never done any DH MTB, is there really enough business to sustain 3 lift operations?
Put it this way. Snowshed quad gets really long lines in the summer weekends and that's only for the new trails.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

jimmywilson69 wrote:I find it interesting that they are committed to operating 3 lifts in the summer. Having never done any DH MTB, is there really enough business to sustain 3 lift operations?
I'd say yes. If they continue to build the mountain bike stuff right I can see it become a massive east coast bike attraction! It already is an excellent bike setup, but it can be much bigger and better. Look at places like Whistler and Park City in the summer? It will never be like K's winter business, but I think it can come close. They're definitely using the right people to build it over the next few years. It also doesn't require a lot of workers, massive infrastructure and NO snowmaking! :P