Opening Day Contest 2016

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Opening Day Contest 2016

Post by Bubba »

Starting the contest a little early this year and with an earlier entry deadline as well so please take note:

It's time for this year's Killington Zone Opening Day Contest. For the price of a bottle of wine, priced in the range of $12 - $20, you get to enter your guess as to what date Killington will officially open for the season this Fall. It's not the day they blow out the mice, if they even bother to do so, it's the day they open for skiing and riding, even if it's just for pass holders and even if they have to close shortly thereafter. Here are the rules:

Each entrant must pick a date and state their wine offering. There can be more than one entry choosing the same date. The winner will be the person or persons who pick the date closest to the actual opening date without opening day having passed them by. (Example: Opening day is 11/1. There is an entry of 10/31 and another of 11/2. The winner is the person who guessed 11/2.) The winner(s) will receive half of the wine bottles; the other half will go toward a season opening party, the date and place to be determined. If opening day comes after the last entry date, there will be no winner and all of the wine will go toward drowning our depression about the late opening.

Entrants do not have to be of legal drinking age, however, if an underage entrant wins the contest, the wine will have to be picked up by a parent or guardian. (KillingtonZone does not condone nor contribute to underage drinking.)

Entries will be accepted through 2359 hours EDT on Monday, October 3, 2016. Contestants may change their entries up until the close of the contest after which all entries will be final.

Wine entries will be delivered to my house in Killington and will be held in my specially constructed, bomb and wino proof wine cellar until the wine party. The winner(s) will select their half of the entries at the party or before. As we have tried to do the past several years, the wine you pledge with your entry should be the wine delivered. "To Be Determined" as an entry is discouraged, although enforcing this as a hard rule has become a losing battle.

Post your dates and wines in this thread and I will record them. Please post your entry only. Admins reserve the right to remove or edit any posts deemed unrelated to this contest.

Please make sure to have your wine delivered to me no later than December 1st. Thank you.

Let the games begin!
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Opening Day Contest 2016

Post by skiadikt »

right move on earlier deadline.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I am trying to be optimistic and will go with Saturday, October 15, 2016. I may change it before the deadline if this hot weather continues into the fall. My entry will be a Cabernet Sauvignon.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Friday, October 14th - Mid Day Opening.
Hudson Valley Cabernet (Unless GIS wins again. Then it will be some other variety of "wine")
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Since it is on a Friday this year, I'll go with November 11th, Veteran's Day. Open for pass holders and Express Card holders. Saturday for the general public and the zoo. Usual quality Chardonnay.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Killington is handicapped with the World Cup draining snowmaking resources, and Sunday River is handicapped with the Locke Mountain Triple needing to have it's return station replaced. Still, I think Killington will come out on top.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

snoloco wrote:Killington is handicapped with the World Cup draining snowmaking resources, WRONGand Sunday River is handicapped with the Locke Mountain Triple needing to have it's return station replaced. Still, I think Killington will come out on top.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
blakeslee_a
Black Carver

Post by blakeslee_a »

wont be able to deliver wine i wont be up much.. but october 24th
Last edited by blakeslee_a on Oct 1st, '16, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Less than 2 months to Opening Day?! :shock:

:like
K42
Green Skidder

Post by K42 »

October 29th no wine
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

October 28. Possibly Naia, a Spanish Verdejo. Or a buttery Chard.
RedRider
Postaholic

Post by RedRider »

November 5th, Macari Rose from Long Island
http://www.macariwines.com/
Go that way, really fast.
If something gets in your way, turn.

Shortski is the Supreme Master of the Universe!!
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

19th of Oct with a nice Vermont wine.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

October 27 . . . with all these State wines - I'll go California :wink:
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I'm going to be optimistic this year and go with October 20th. Wine will be a big red from Spain, TBD which one.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe