Largest crowd in K history?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

livia01
Green Skidder

Re: Largest crowd in K history?

Post by livia01 »

I'd think a HSQ at Snowden should be at the top of the list!
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

livia01 wrote:I'd think a HSQ at Snowden should be at the top of the list!
I disagree. Something, anything, even a fricken T-bar to cover the bottom of Pipe Dream back to the giggle turn, or just above it.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

The crowds of the 1990s will never be repeated unless we have some kind of economic revival.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

SnoBrdr wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Mike Solimano gave a talk at the Ski Club this afternoon. He said the number for today was 17,500. He also talked about the good possibility of getting the World Cup again for Thanksgiving weekend. He mentioned that Bear Lodge may be redone sometime soon. Also in the works is redoing the K1 base lodge. A Southridge lift maybe in two years. I had to leave so not sure what else he talked about.
I'm sure the # was even higher.

We never got scanned once today and we started out at Skyeship Stage and hit other lifts where we should have been scanned at least once but never were.
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

SkiDork wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Mike Solimano gave a talk at the Ski Club this afternoon. He said the number for today was 17,500. He also talked about the good possibility of getting the World Cup again for Thanksgiving weekend. He mentioned that Bear Lodge may be redone sometime soon. Also in the works is redoing the K1 base lodge. A Southridge lift maybe in two years. I had to leave so not sure what else he talked about.
I'm sure the # was even higher.

We never got scanned once today and we started out at Skyeship Stage and hit other lifts where we should have been scanned at least once but never were.
Two of us, so 17502
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

>17506 :wink:
Forever .. Goat Path
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

frankieski wrote:Looks like they need a replacement for the Devil's Fiddle Quad. just needs to be in a different line. Long walk to get to that lift. Made no sense. You'd have to be coming down Fiddle or coming from Falls Brook... but most of those people coming from Falls Brook weren't seeking Expert terrain and the lift probably scared them off since it went up the fiddle so people past it by. Hence the long lines at Bear Quad back in the day and ZERO line at the Fiddle Quad.
In the old days, the DF4 was there to catch all the skier traffic that was entering the resort thru the Northeast Passage/Sunrise Triple. We used to park there all the time right next to the lift, then ride the Triple to the DF4, to the South Ridge Triple. Then you could go anywhere. It saved standing in line at the Skyepeak or Bear chairs. The only other option was to take Lower Juggernaut down to Skyeship/Killington Gondola, but why as you should've just started there in the first place.

When they shut down Northeast Passage, shortened the Sunrise3, there wasn't any further need for for DF4, especially after Nyberg removed SR3.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Mike Solimano gave a talk at the Ski Club this afternoon. He said the number for today was 17,500. He also talked about the good possibilit

y of getting the World Cup again for Thanksgiving weekend. He mentioned that Bear Lodge may be redone sometime soon. Also in the works is redoing the K1 base lodge. A Southridge lift maybe in two years. I had to leave so not sure what else he talked about.
Same story with Southridge, a couple years... a couple years... once in a while they'll throw in "maybe we'll move the Snowdon4 over there when we replace it..."

Well, the Village has the green light. It's time to poop, or get off the pot. (Cue Humpty) Redo of K1 Lodge and Snowdon lifts should be started and completed before the first phase of the village gets completed.

Continue showing VISIBLE improvements (and providing an excellent product) to the resort, and the crowds will keep coming, further funding WC races, better infrastructure, and events. Rope climbs, roller coasters, and bike trails are a great start, but the winter crowd wants their share too.

And don't shortcut or trim projects... Imagine the Peak Lodge if they had actually built the top floor...
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Mike Solimano gave a talk at the Ski Club this afternoon. He said the number for today was 17,500. He also talked about the good possibilit

y of getting the World Cup again for Thanksgiving weekend. He mentioned that Bear Lodge may be redone sometime soon. Also in the works is redoing the K1 base lodge. A Southridge lift maybe in two years. I had to leave so not sure what else he talked about.
Same story with Southridge, a couple years... a couple years... once in a while they'll throw in "maybe we'll move the Snowdon4 over there when we replace it..."

Well, the Village has the green light. It's time to poop, or get off the pot. (Cue Humpty) Redo of K1 Lodge and Snowdon lifts should be started and completed before the first phase of the village gets completed.

Continue showing VISIBLE improvements (and providing an excellent product) to the resort, and the crowds will keep coming, further funding WC races, better infrastructure, and events. Rope climbs, roller coasters, and bike trails are a great start, but the winter crowd wants their share too.

And don't shortcut or trim projects... Imagine the Peak Lodge if they had actually built the top floor...
Based on the record, Cumming rarely makes long term investments in any of his resorts. He puts money into items he can expense immediately, or depreciate quickly. The exceptions are the SPE and the Peak Lodge. The latter had a rotting foundation and was close to falling down of its own accord. At this point, I'd say it's more likely K will be sold than he'll put a lift in at South Ridge in two years. Mike's a good guy and runs Killington well, but he isn't calling the shots on this. The pathetic thing is, all the faithful want is a short fixed grip double; half the towers are already there. It is literally the least expensive install you could ask for and Cumming's too cheap to even throw us that bone.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Attendance is great, butt I'd like to know what they grossed yesterday. Also how many gallons of beer consumed at the resort and on access road.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

freeski wrote:Attendance is great, butt I'd like to know what they grossed yesterday. Also how many gallons of beer consumed at the resort and on access road.
When we drove up the Access Road both yesterday and today we noticed that the parking lots for most of the restaurants were pretty full so I assume that those businesses are doing very well this weekend.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

From what I saw Saturday yes I agree that uphill capacity was below safe trail capacity at Bear, Skye Peak, Needles, Snowdon. What is safe trail capacity? You'll never please everyone, but we can all identify unsafe conditions when we see it and only the choke points would get too dicey on Saturday.

So maybe a new South Ridge chair would be the most beneficial, while the POS Snowdon quad is left to stagger to the top a while longer. Probably linking that improvement to Village access plans.

Saturday was a great day for K, but it will bring back that reputation as an overcrowded mountain. With good snow and weather, it showed that K can attract the customers. It will be most interesting to hear bonafide claims from the competitors, since there was good snow and weather everywhere and I would love to know how K fared alongside Okemo, MT Snow, SBush, Stowe. If everyone else also had record or close to record attendance, then it's all relative and the crowds only served to identify weak points in the systems of Ops, food, beverage, ski schools, lodging, etc. And all the areas already know their weak points. What you do about them is what makes you a leader. Or not.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

From what I have heard, everywhere was crowded this weekend. Even the places in PA.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Stache wrote:MLK Saturday 2013 was supposed to be 17,500. That was the weekend I pinched a nerve in my back always twisting and looking back uphill to check on my charges. Number I heard/saw in the lodge this afternoon was 15,400 for today but tracking at 17,500 at 11 am.

Ditto on what someone else said, the trails were not as crowded as the lift lines. SPE was so bad at 2:30 I took the shuttle bus down to Skyeship base to get back to Ramshead.
Throw a small amount of money into a new bridge or tunnel, and go back to using Lower Juggernaut... Should have been able to be opened with the recent snowfall. Why waste shuttles/fuel/driver, making people wait...

No Southridge, and only opening the Crossover late season. They'll never face up to the problem that they don't have enough lift capacity for exiting Bear back to the Basin.
Last edited by ME2VTSkier on Feb 20th, '17, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
skimom
Beginner On Rentals

Post by skimom »

Great to see the mountain do good. If they don't do well, no of us does well. Same for the local businesses. My qustion is the 17,500 count. Is that tickets sold or number of people scanned. I know people who stayed with me bought their $55 passes long ago, along with all the various season pass holders would make for a much larger count than 17.5 on the hill. Just curious.