Post by throbster »

WTF!?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: No Canyon Quad Today

Post by madhatter »

he Canyon Quad will not operate this weekend due to an issue with the auxillary drive. We hope to have it repaired shortly.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Thanks for the update.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Another example of older infrastructure that missed the boat for maintenance, mainly preventive. Like running a car with a timing belt past 200,000 miles thinking that "it still runs OK why replace that belt - we will do it when we have to". Which means at the expense of the customer. It's been long enough since ASC left, POWDR can't blame them for not investing when all they use is crummy band aids themselves. Oh, but wait - the Snowdon Triple just got improved (with someone else's money). You know, that lift that hardly runs and will still be as slow as new.

Loved to see the lift tech on top of a K1 cabin with tools first thing this morning 8am. I know stuff happens and all that. It's just that stuff happens to Killington way more often than the competition.

Busy day today, and the message to the public was - "another lift broken down on a Saturday. Not enough capacity for the crowd that showed up." "That Snowdon quad kept on stopping, slowing, stopping". The Beast turned pussycat. Sure, plenty of lift availability at 2pm-4pm. Why should people come to K early season when they get holiday lift lines and poor trail access.

Unexpected benefit: Cascade was still skiing great in the afternoon, since it got limited use.

On the brighter side - cold weather will dominate for a while, expansion will take place and we will be excited to have new trails with a base that is not r*in soaked.
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

da Pimp wrote:
Loved to see the lift tech on top of a K1 cabin with tools first thing this morning 8am. I know stuff happens and all that. It's just that stuff happens to Killington way more often than the competition.
You guys thinking this is just a K problem kill me. Broken record with what we see at SR. Funny, both resorts have a ton of terrain and two massive Snowmaking systems and push that hard. Everything has to give somewhere. Sure Snow and Okemo make a bunch of snow too and upped their game there and with fancy new lifts. They still have a ton less terrain to deal with and maintain than K or SR. This is not a high margin business. The two south may make it seem like it but I guarantee Okemo is highly leveraged and Snow is riding EB-5 (which may seem like an endless stream but at the back end of that rainbow, it is anything from free). Mechanical things have issues from time to time. Nothing you can do about it. In Canyon's case, it is not the only lift serving that terrain. Be thankful for that.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

machski wrote:
da Pimp wrote:
You guys thinking this is just a K problem kill me. Broken record with what we see at SR. Funny, both resorts have a ton of terrain and two massive Snowmaking systems and push that hard. Everything has to give somewhere. Sure Snow and Okemo make a bunch of snow too and upped their game there and with fancy new lifts. They still have a ton less terrain to deal with and maintain than K or SR. This is not a high margin business. The two south may make it seem like it but I guarantee Okemo is highly leveraged and Snow is riding EB-5 (which may seem like an endless stream but at the back end of that rainbow, it is anything from free). Mechanical things have issues from time to time. Nothing you can do about it. In Canyon's case, it is not the only lift serving that terrain. Be thankful for that.
Almost all failures can be predicted and prevented if you know what your looking for and/or care.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

not having the canyon quad or the snowdon triple running on busy saturday was a major fu. no excuse for either. k has to to do better than that. the regulars have no choice but the weekend ticket peeps do and and their first impression won't be a good one. a great way to kill the world cup buzz. great job getting the terrain open but if you have to wait on long lift lines because lifts aren't running, it's meaningless.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

skiadikt wrote:not having the canyon quad or the snowdon triple running on busy saturday was a major fu. no excuse for either. k has to to do better than that. the regulars have no choice but the weekend ticket peeps do and and their first impression won't be a good one. a great way to kill the world cup buzz. great job getting the terrain open but if you have to wait on long lift lines because lifts aren't running, it's meaningless.
in addition, having a person who cannot count to 8 working at loading the gondola and letting gondolas go up with 3 or 4 people when the line was almost up the stairs makes for very unhappy customers. When I complained to him that he was not loading the gondolas properly, he told me I could use other lifts then. Someone with that attitude should not be working at that post.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
skiadikt wrote:not having the canyon quad or the snowdon triple running on busy saturday was a major fu. no excuse for either. k has to to do better than that. the regulars have no choice but the weekend ticket peeps do and and their first impression won't be a good one. a great way to kill the world cup buzz. great job getting the terrain open but if you have to wait on long lift lines because lifts aren't running, it's meaningless.
in addition, having a person who cannot count to 8 working at loading the gondola and letting gondolas go up with 3 or 4 people when the line was almost up the stairs makes for very unhappy customers. When I complained to him that he was not loading the gondolas properly, he told me I could use other lifts then. Someone with that attitude should not be working at that post.
Or any other job at Killington.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Gotta agree with most all of what's been said. A major FU on K's part not having more lifts running.

We skied in the afternoon, so were only inconvenienced for the first hour or so; we went to Superstar area where the line wasn't too bad.

I wonder how many others were looking at the Canyon quad lift on Friday [when it was not running] and thinking about how nice it was gonna be when it ran on Saturday. Especially after just opening up Cascade.

But wait, they could have run the Snowdon triple to ease some of the load. Oh that's right, I guess that lift's not ready to go either on a busy weekend in December.

WTF.

As Da Pimp said, for us second shifters, at least Cascade was skiing well in the afternoon helped out by low traffic on it due to the lift situation.

An embarassing day for the beast.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

madhatter wrote:
he Canyon Quad will not operate this weekend due to an issue with the auxillary drive. We hope to have it repaired shortly.
From today's conditions report:
Despite our earlier reporting, the Canyon Quad auxiliary drive is repaired and the Canyon Quad has reopened.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Despite our earlier reporting, the Canyon Quad auxiliary drive is repaired and the Canyon Quad has reopened.
this has been been confirmed on the snow...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:
great job getting it up & running quickly. place to be today. took pressure off the k1. a pretty chilly ride though.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

skiadikt wrote:
Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:
great job getting it up & running quickly. place to be today. took pressure off the k1. a pretty chilly ride though.
From now on, Killington should report that it'll be 17 years before something is repaired. That way you'll be always be ecstatic when it's fixed. :roll:
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

Woodsrider wrote:
machski wrote:
da Pimp wrote:
Almost all failures can be predicted and prevented if you know what your looking for and/or care.
Perhaps, but at what cost to do so. Not every failure is pure mechanical, many are electric (switches, relays, converters, sensors just to name a few). Very hard to predict those. Even mechanical can be tough to predict. And in such a slim margin industry, you can try to understand the idea of wringing every last minute out of parts.