Beer reviews and recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by f.a.s.t. »

The other night at the Auburn Tavern, I drank two Battle Axe IPA pints from the Kelsen Brewing Co of Derry, NH. Great name for a beer and they were really good, but very expensive. Cost $7.25 each and a $2.50 tip = $17.00. That's $2.01 more than I paid for that 30 pack of PBR.

http://kelsenbrewing.com/kelsen-brewing-nh-craft-beer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

f.a.s.t. wrote:The other night at the Auburn Tavern, I drank two Battle Axe IPA pints from the Kelsen Brewing Co of Derry, NH. Great name for a beer and they were really good, but very expensive. Cost $7.25 each and a $2.50 tip = $17.00. That's $2.01 more than I paid for that 30 pack of PBR.
I can buy hamburger for $3 a pound on sale and yet a burger in a restaurant is 10 bucks plus tax and tip.

I wonder how much bulk hamburger I can get for the price of a grass fed dry aged New York strip in a restaurant.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Mister Moose wrote:
f.a.s.t. wrote:The other night at the Auburn Tavern, I drank two Battle Axe IPA pints from the Kelsen Brewing Co of Derry, NH. Great name for a beer and they were really good, but very expensive. Cost $7.25 each and a $2.50 tip = $17.00. That's $2.01 more than I paid for that 30 pack of PBR.
I can buy hamburger for $3 a pound on sale and yet a burger in a restaurant is 10 bucks plus tax and tip.

I wonder how much bulk hamburger I can get for the price of a grass fed dry aged New York strip in a restaurant.
You're making me hungry, those sound good.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Skadoosh X (Alchemist). 100% Citra hops 7% abv. Oh so very good.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

A friend recently gave me 2 cans of Headroom DIPA from Trillium. I thought it was good but don't buy into the hype, it's only that they brew it once a year. Very similar to their other overly hoppy DIPAs. I still prefer Vicinity DIPA over anything else they make. One gripe I have with Trillium is it's very expensive beer for what's become a staple style in the area @ $20.20 to $22.50 a 4 pack of pounder cans.

From the site:
HEADROOM DOUBLE IPA
Ladies and gentlemen, prepare your palates...

Simply put, Headroom is the hoppiest beer we've ever brewed with more than 7 lbs. per barrel featuring heavy doses of Galaxy & Mosaic. This is a truly special Double IPA brewed only once a year, released during the last two summers to celebrate Hop Jam; Vermont's annual lupulin-centric beer fest. Headroom embodies our hoppy coup de grâce (for now)- we hope you enjoy!

Dank. Citrus. Tropical Fruit. Juice.

ABV: 8%

MALT: Pilsner, Valley Wheat, Flaked Wheat, Dextrine, Dextrose

HOPS: Galaxy, Mosaic, Columbus
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Anyone know if these are any good - I found them laying on the ground on the access road - may have been left over from the spring? Tasting starts at 6:00

Congress Street DDH review to follow.
Attachments
Beer.jpg
Beer.jpg (24.81 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

hillbangin wrote:Anyone know if these are any good - I found them laying on the ground on the access road - may have been left over from the spring?
Turn over the Space Juice and Congress St and tell us the dates on the can. Heady is undated.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Mister Moose wrote:
hillbangin wrote:Anyone know if these are any good - I found them laying on the ground on the access road - may have been left over from the spring?
Turn over the Space Juice and Congress St and tell us the dates on the can. Heady is undated.

Bought the Congress at 12:30 today ( decent line with everyone buying the Congress , including the guy in front of me with an Alchemist T-Shirt on ) - has a Sept 7 2017 date. Juice is the Aug 1 batch - they claimed it was their 'best batch ever' and it does seem to be a bit 'smoother'.

I think we should start a barter group - MA beer for VT beer???
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

hop n moose kettle on a stump fresh and good at woodstock farmers market...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Some Flek Dark Double Lager (their only beer) at U Fleku, arguably the oldest brewery in Prague. It was good.
Attachments
IMG_1312_1.jpg
IMG_1312_1.jpg (97.81 KiB) Viewed 961 times
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

hillbangin wrote:Anyone know if these are any good - I found them laying on the ground on the access road - may have been left over from the spring? Tasting starts at 6:00

Congress Street DDH review to follow.

After much consideration - I think the Congress Street DDH is my second favorite IPA I've had. Congress Street is just as good.

Also had a Night Shift Whirlpool tonight - pretty good on the light side - it's an APA.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by icedtea »

ImageImage

Not so heavy for an IPA and a nice Kick.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Switchback Connector IPA. Disappointed. It was obviously old, classic old IPA nose and taste. Undated bottle bought 2 days ago. I like Switchback, especially from a keg with some throughput. But if they want to play in VT IPAs they need to date their bottles and control the field inventory better. I mean Stone can deliver IPA from California better that Switchback delivered IPA from Burlington.

In other news, Sushi Yoshi now (finally) offers a 4oz taster for $2. :like :like :like :like :like :like :like :like :like

Edit:
I fired off an email last night to Switchback after this disappointing bottle. I just got a prompt reply from the owner that included the info that 1) 6 packs carry calendar dates on the bottle, 2) 22oz bombers carry a Julian date, lower left. My bottle is 17174, which is the 174th day in 2017. That's 3 months ago. Glad to see Switchback has good customer response, and hopefully I'll find some fresher beer of theirs now that I know what to look for.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Mister Moose wrote:I mean Stone can deliver IPA from California better that Switchback delivered IPA from Burlington
Doesn't most East Coast distro come from their Richmond location? I don't know the answer, just asking if you know.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

http://www.leftysbrew.com/docsdoublewhammyipa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....