Beer reviews and recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by Mister Moose »

Seems like a good summer topic to fill in between all the turmoil of late.

Last week end I tried Loose Cannon IPA from Clipper City Brewing Co.
They call it HOP³ ALE, and its a full bodied hearty IPA much like Dogfish 60 minute or Wailing Wench. Better than average, try some if you're an IPA fan.

Who else has tried something new that was good?

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

I really liked Flying Fish Summer Ale.

Iron Hill Brewery has a great Pumpkin Spice coming out for the season soon :D
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Franziskaner weissbier. A very nice Bavarian weissbier without the huge premuim price. The local beverage place sells it for $22/case. It's pretty much all I buy.

johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

long trail isnt half bad...

cisco brewers out of nantucket will leave you with a fierce hangover...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Heavy Seas has pretty good stuff, I have the imperial stout in my fridge right now.

A good resource online is www.beeradvocate.com . My sister and I post on there occasionally and they have reviews on pretty much anything you can consume. It's a great way to find out when and where brewfests are too.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
lifeisgood
Bumper

Post by lifeisgood »

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat on tap served with an orange slice. Sounds a bit wierd, but it was fantastic!
Do what you like.
Like what you do.
winter
Blue Chatterbox

Post by winter »

Have really enjoyed the Harpoon Summer Beer. Good but not strong hops, very smooth and a polish finish.

Should be served very cold and when it is its a very refreshing summer brew.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

winter wrote:Have really enjoyed the Harpoon Summer Beer. Good but not strong hops, very smooth and a polish finish.

Should be served very cold and when it is its a very refreshing summer brew.
That's it!!!!!

Several years ago I remember reading a question,

"what single word in the English language changes both meaning and pronunciation when capitalized?

polish, Polish.

Couldn't remember it until now.

However I have no idea what a polish (or Polish) finish is.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Had Berkshire Brewing Hefeweizen at our golf club - good stuff . . . also, the brewery is only 2 miles from our house 8)

http://www.berkshirebrewingcompany.com/Hefe.html
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I tried Arrogant Bastard in Richmond, VA not that long ago. Not surprisingly, I liked it. :wink:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

lifeisgood wrote:Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat on tap served with an orange slice. Sounds a bit wierd, but it was fantastic!
Don't fruitboot the beer! -skilaw
ImageImageImageImage
robrules
Poster Child Poster

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by robrules »

Mister Moose wrote:Seems like a good summer topic to fill in between all the turmoil of late.

Last week end I tried Loose Cannon IPA from Clipper City Brewing Co.
They call it HOP³ ALE, and its a full bodied hearty IPA much like Dogfish 60 minute or Wailing Wench. Better than average, try some if you're an IPA fan.

Who else has tried something new that was good?

At the last BeerAdvocate beer fest, they had Loose Cannon on cask with some extra hops added to the cask and it was really good - probably my favorite beer of the fest and there were some awesome beers there. The brewer/owner is top class.

They call it hop3 ale because it was hopped at 3 different points - in the boil, in a hopback (after the boil, but before its chilled), and dry hopped during secondary fermentation.

I've pretty much given up buying bottled craft beer due to freshness issues that plague this sector of the beer industry. I'm just tired of wasting money on beer that is not up to par. But we had a party last weekend at our house and I didn't want a bunch of non beer drinkers drinking my homebrew, so I broke down and bought some beer. Sierra Nevada recently started bottling an IPA and it is growing on me. Its kind of an English/American hybrid IPA using English hops for aroma, but bittered at a rate of an American west coast IPA. Not the fruity hop bombs the west coast is known for, but a nice beer when it warms up.
people with the snobords smokes the funystuffs
Harpoon22
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Harpoon22 »

Mcneils beer from brattleboro...comes in the big bottles. My favorite.
roark
Blue Chatterbox

Post by roark »

I'll 3rd Beer Advocate as a resource. Great site. Always take a look whenever I travel. The Brothers put on great festivals in Beantown as well. Will have to look for the loose cannon. McNeills Imperial IPA was the last standout beer I've had lately. Mmmmmm.
lifeisgood
Bumper

Post by lifeisgood »

Stormchaser wrote:
lifeisgood wrote:Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat on tap served with an orange slice. Sounds a bit wierd, but it was fantastic!
Don't fruitboot the beer! -skilaw
You know...I normally don't like any of the fruity beers (cherry wheat, raspberry wheat, etc.) and I definitely don't know what's up with the slice of lime in the Corona thing (I don't even like Corona, a slice of lime isn't going to help it). BUT, the slice of orange in the Sunset Wheat really worked well. I think it had to do with the citrus aroma pairing nicely with the spices in the beer, I think it was cardamon. It really was good.

A couple of years ago I brewed an apricot ale at home. Don't know why, because as I just mentioned, I normally don't like fruity beers, but for some reason, this apricot ale (it was from a kit) really sounded good. Well, it was fantastic. It had a hint of apricot flavor which went well with the maltiness of the beer, but it didn't add any sweetness at all. Got rave reviews from everybody that tried one.
Do what you like.
Like what you do.