Beer reviews and recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by deadheadskier »

I don't really care if they pass a law. I was just commenting on how some distributors handle things currently and the potential for lost sales by breweries who don't date.

One would think a self respecting brewery would want to guarantee freshness and their reputation. Perhaps they're small and can't absorb the lost revenue by pulling stale beers. Perhaps they don't feel it's worth the extra expense in labeling.

As the public becomes more educated on beers, I see most breweries voluntarily dating.

I've just gotten used to going direct to the brewery as much as possible these days. There's so many good ones now, it's fairly convenient. Have a decent one right in my town - Deciduous . Bought three four packs direct from Trillium yesterday. That will likely last a few weeks. Visiting Stowe in a month and will go to the Alchemist. All good
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

deadheadskier wrote: I also recently held onto Foundation Epiphany for too long. Epiphany won the best beer in Maine in a recent poll. I bought a case in April, by the time I got around to finishing the last couple beers a couple weeks ago it wasn't anything special anymore. Held onto it too long. A date wouldn't have helped in that situation obviously as it was me not drinking it fast enough that was the problem.
Heady Topper loses it special pop with age requiring me to drink or share the brew within six weeks. Drinking good beer requires a commitment to drink it fresh.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Busch beer has a born on date. Has for years.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
deadheadskier wrote: I also recently held onto Foundation Epiphany for too long. Epiphany won the best beer in Maine in a recent poll. I bought a case in April, by the time I got around to finishing the last couple beers a couple weeks ago it wasn't anything special anymore. Held onto it too long. A date wouldn't have helped in that situation obviously as it was me not drinking it fast enough that was the problem.
Heady Topper loses it special pop with age requiring me to drink or share the brew within six weeks. Drinking good beer requires a commitment to drink it fresh.
Glad ours was fresh enough for you. :wink:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

madhatter wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
Bubba wrote: Beer Institute Announces New Guidelines That Promote Consumer Choice And Transparency
Tue, 07/12/2016 by Beer Institute

"Participating brewers and importers will voluntarily list freshness dating ...

Beer Institute member companies, including industry leaders such as Anheuser-Busch, MillerCoors, HeinekenUSA, Constellation Brands Beer Division, North American Breweries and Craft Brew Alliance, have agreed to follow these standards. These companies together produce more than 81% of the volume of beer sold in the U.S."
Can only hope smaller brewers adopt dating all beer produced.
then what do they do w the beer on the shelves post date? take it back? refuse to deliver to vendors that have leftover product? I mean I'm not in disagreement, seems a lot of whats left on the rd now is past it's date...I don't always pay attn to that kind of thing to begin with usually opting for whatever looks enticing vs the plethora of meh...last two purchases on the rd were well beyond the date...one was fine, the other? not sure...
Not sure what happens, but brewers are responding to customers demand for freshness. Saw some of this on the shelf last week, at full price ... probably going to remain on the shelf until an uninformed customer buys it.

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Narragansett Town Beach IPA is back for the season. You’ll find it at your favorite liquor store sharing space with the last of 'Gansett’s Summertime Citra Ale.
On the can is an old-fashioned image of sunbathers at the beach, circa 1890, recalling both the roots of the beer and the town. A secret message is written on the bottom of the can, an ode to Red Sox star David Ortiz in his final year with the team. It says "THX BIG PAPI."
The tallboy cans also include an ode to Narragansett as a seaside town.
Inside the can, the India Pale Ale is 4.7-percent alcohol by volume. It was brewed specially for the late summer months when the days are hotter and longer, requiring a bold beer you can drink over a long period of time, to complement a New England beach day.
This brew starts with pale cara pils and wheat malts, and Pacific Gem, Green Bullet, nugget and EKG hops to give it a slight fruitiness before it’s dry-hopped with citra hops at the finish to bring the perfect balance of bitterness. IPA's are prized for their hoppy characteristics, which can read as bitter.
Narragansett Town Beach IPA is sold in six packs of 16-ounce tallboy cans ($8.99-$9.99 suggested retail price) and is being distributed throughout New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Virginia, Portland, Ore., and Nashville and Chattanooga, Tenn. The timing and availability of Town Beach IPA will vary per market and through mid-October.
The summer will feature other Narragansett releases, including a new H.P. Lovecraft-inspired beer and another in the mash-up series that pairs iconic Rhode Island flavors or products with a beer that features that special flavoring.
Attachments
AR-160719567.jpg&MaxW=650.jpg
AR-160719567.jpg&MaxW=650.jpg (68.97 KiB) Viewed 845 times
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

This sounds like what happened for a while at the Hooker Brewery. All their beers took on a sour taste, and I stopped buying them. At the time they denied it, but a few years later talking to a rep he said they had an infection problem that took a while to fix.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Enjoyed a Made in the Shade by Broad Brook Brewing thanks to Mr Moose. This one time collaboration with Cigar City produced very nice result. The Cigar City brew Jai Alai is one favorites requiring me to grab some when I find it fresh.

Best Beer of the Weekend -- Hobbit Juice from Beer’d Brewing - This Double/Imperial IPA knocked my socks off thanks to Whatamidoinghere. At 9.2 this stuff drinks way to easy. My wife loved it and she hates Heady Topper along with most other DIPA’s. Pretty sure the Nelson hop is the reason. Connecticut sure has it’s share of top shelf breweries.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Enjoyed a Made in the Shade by Broad Brook Brewing thanks to Mr Moose. This one time collaboration with Cigar City produced very nice result. The Cigar City brew Jai Alai is one favorites requiring me to grab some when I find it fresh.

Best Beer of the Weekend -- Hobbit Juice from Beer’d Brewing - This Double/Imperial IPA knocked my socks off thanks to Whatamidoinghere. At 9.2 this stuff drinks way to easy. My wife loved it and she hates Heady Topper along with most other DIPA’s. Pretty sure the Nelson hop is the reason. Connecticut sure has it’s share of top shelf breweries.
There is a new one coming in 2018 and they are growing their own Hops so they can make different brews. Looking forward to it as it will be located here in Colchester, CT. Stay Tuned.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Just had a Troegs Nimble Giant Double IPA. Excellent. This is the first top tier PA IPA I've had, and I would gladly trade for more. It has a wonderful combo of both pine and citrus, layered on top of a sweeter malt, but no shortage of bitter either. Yummy. Only flaw was I only was given one. Troegs just got elevated over Victory and Stoudts in my book.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Today, in addition to our 3 regular offerings (Heady Topper, Focal Banger and Crusher), we will be selling Luscious. This beer is a British Imperial Stout, coming in at 9.2% abv.
The limit on this beer is 1 four-pack person.
$12.50/4-pack + tax/deposit.
To learn more about this beer, please visit:
youtube.com/user/TheAlchemistbeer

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAlchemistbeer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
blakeslee_a
Black Carver

Post by blakeslee_a »

Trillium is dropping headroom IPA on Saturday. Expect a sh*t show.