Beer reviews and recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by Bubba »

Beer is big business in Vermont

http://vermontbiz.com/news/september/be ... -286323177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Upstate NY Craft Brewer Ages Stout in Nuclear Missile Silo
Wed, 09/07/2016 - 8:55am by Associated Press

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. (AP) — A craft brewery in New York's Adirondack Park has a novel gimmick to distinguish its new stout: It's aged in a decommissioned Cold War missile silo.

Big Slide Brewery in Lake Placid featured the Russian Imperial stout at its grand opening party in August. Named "To Russia, with love," the brew was aged for eight months in a former Atlas missile silo on a nearby farm.

The brewer says the silo's consistently cool conditions 25 feet underground made it an ideal place to age the dark, robust brew.

The U.S. Air Force installed 12 Atlas nuclear missiles around the old Plattsburgh Air Force Base during the Cold War but abandoned them in 1965. Most were sealed, but some are being used for homes or other purposes — like aging beer.

http://www.foodmanufacturing.com/news/2 ... 6et_rid%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

If ya need a hand in Sonoma County at like LAgunitas Russian or Bear lots of my pals work there, let me know.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

mogulmouse wrote:If ya need a hand in Sonoma County at like LAgunitas Russian or Bear lots of my pals work there, let me know.
Mmmmm Lagunitas Petaluma spot is set up real nice. Went to their Chicago spot a few months back, totally different vibe, but equally awesome.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Finally managed to get some Heady Topper. Never had it before. Looking forward to tasting Vermont's finest!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Finally managed to get some Heady Topper. Never had it before. Looking forward to tasting Vermont's finest!
HT isn't it...it IS pretty good though, but there are many I prefer over it...Mrs Hatter is a big fan though...Foley brothers Prospect is great ( best 10% beer ever IMO), lost nation mosaic IPA, sip of sunshine...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

madhatter wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Finally managed to get some Heady Topper. Never had it before. Looking forward to tasting Vermont's finest!
HT isn't it...it IS pretty good though, but there are many I prefer over it...Mrs Hatter is a big fan though...Foley brothers Prospect is great ( best 10% beer ever IMO), lost nation mosaic IPA, sip of sunshine...
They're on my list. Foley - Fair Maiden and Prospect, Lost Nation - Mosaic, and Lawon's Sip of Sunshine are all on my list. Hard to get them down here and, at least of late, it's not as easy to get up to VT as it used to be and work doesn't take me to VT. Last work trip I got to enjoy many of the 3 Floyds beers from Indiana ... also a smaller brewer with limited distro.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

The allure of Heady Topper will soon fade if you ask me. With the new brewery they built in Stowe, they can make a lot more of it. I was there last Saturday and there was no way they were going to sell out of what they had available before 7 PM.

Its nice that they are making 3 beers, too.

I still like it, but agree there are other beers in VT that are just as good. Idle Tyme is making some great beers right now. Hill Farmstead, Lawsons. The list goes on. Don't forget about Switchback. I love switchback.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

jimmywilson69 wrote:The allure of Heady Topper will soon fade if you ask me. With the new brewery they built in Stowe, they can make a lot more of it. I was there last Saturday and there was no way they were going to sell out of what they had available before 7 PM.

Its nice that they are making 3 beers, too.honestly I'm not very fond of crusher or focal banger either...HT is better than either, just my opinion of course...

I still like it, but agree there are other beers in VT that are just as good. Idle Tyme is making some great beers right now. Hill Farmstead, Lawsons. The list goes on. Don't forget about Switchback. I love switchback.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

available at the OGS in pittsfield...pretty good...

https://www.vtbeer.org/2015/08/06/rock- ... roved-ttb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Focal Banger is good, Crusher is just too much. like 1 and your good.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
TreeRunner
Beginner On Rentals

Post by TreeRunner »

Trillium and Lawson's just made a collaboration beer - Pow Pow. Great stuff if you like a New England IPA but will be hard to get in VT (released to just a few stores today).

https://twitter.com/LawsonsFinest/statu ... 85?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/trillium-pow-pow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

jimmywilson69 wrote:The allure of Heady Topper will soon fade if you ask me. With the new brewery they built in Stowe, they can make a lot more of it. I was there last Saturday and there was no way they were going to sell out of what they had available before 7 PM.

Its nice that they are making 3 beers, too.

The allure of Heady Topper, at least outside their distribution, is still strong. If they make more and don't increase their distro, you're right, it won't sell out. Would love to see more VT brewers do some capex and expand their distro footprint ... like Hill Farmstead has.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.