Beer reviews and recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Long hard day today. Beer moved to the back burner. Three fingers-three ice cubes:
Attachments
SAM_0715.JPG
SAM_0715.JPG (417.49 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Great with lunch!!
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

Just came back from a beer run walk - can't wait to dig in.

3 Cans of Bentwater Sluice Juice IPA
http://www.bentwaterbrewing.com/the-beer/

2 Cans of Trillium DDH Melcher St. IPA
http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/trillium ... street-ipa

32oz Growler of Trillium Permutation #19 - Citra Dry Hopped Lager
http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/trillium-permutation-19
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Mr. Moose, was that your Weissbier left behind in my fridge? My tenants did not take it with them so I finally drank it. Not bad for an unfiltered white bier. Probably could not make a steady diet of it but maybe two in a row would be good. Still sucking down the Miller High Life. ;)
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Dr. NO wrote:Mr. Moose, was that your Weissbier left behind in my fridge? My tenants did not take it with them so I finally drank it. Not bad for an unfiltered white bier. Probably could not make a steady diet of it but maybe two in a row would be good. Still sucking down the Miller High Life. ;)
Not sure. I'm not a fan of Weissbier, but might have given one to them. Springdale's wit was the least of the worst, I could almost enjoy it..... And then some whites like Harpoon's White UFO don't use Belgian yeast, so I like it quite a bit.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

frost double ---meh...it was ok I guess not expecting much from teh lush now...be intersting to see if that same "dank" flavor permeates this one as well...

burlington beer co steel forest DIPA or something like that...good stuff... they fail to disappoint as of late but I can't help but wonder if they don;t just simply name each batch something new to compensate for the variations that would be more noticeable if you were to call every incarnation the same thing ... friend who is local to treehouse says the julius is dif every time and noticeably so...

on a less fortunate note a friend went to foley this weekend and only fair maiden was available in bottles...bottling and canning issues...not sure if she asked what the longer term outlook was...could increase the availability growlers at my local store though....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

Good to know about Foley Bros - My local store down in Boston didn't get their normal shipment of Prospect and only had Fair Maiden. I was hoping that Prospect wasn't a seasonal or special batch. Love that brew.
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

madhatter wrote:frost double ---meh...it was ok I guess not expecting much from teh lush now...be intersting to see if that same "dank" flavor permeates this one as well...

burlington beer co steel forest DIPA or something like that...good stuff... they fail to disappoint as of late but I can't help but wonder if they don;t just simply name each batch something new to compensate for the variations that would be more noticeable if you were to call every incarnation the same thing ... friend who is local to treehouse says the julius is dif every time and noticeably so...

on a less fortunate note a friend went to foley this weekend and only fair maiden was available in bottles...bottling and canning issues...not sure if she asked what the longer term outlook was...could increase the availability growlers at my local store though....
Expect Treehouse to get way more consistent from batch to batch now that the new brewery is up and running. The amount of computer controlled automation in the entire process from the initial mashing to the final fermentation (in both quantity/volume of ingredients and temperature control) is far greater than what they had in Monson. Heard that straight from Dean's mouth when I made my maiden trip to the incredible new place last week!
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

DrJeff wrote:
madhatter wrote:frost double ---meh...it was ok I guess not expecting much from teh lush now...be intersting to see if that same "dank" flavor permeates this one as well...

Expect Treehouse to get way more consistent from batch to batch now that the new brewery is up and running. The amount of computer controlled automation in the entire process from the initial mashing to the final fermentation (in both quantity/volume of ingredients and temperature control) is far greater than what they had in Monson. Heard that straight from Dean's mouth when I made my maiden trip to the incredible new place last week!
does this lead to better craft beer or does it lead to samuel adams like beer? not a knock, but what is it that we like about "our" craft beers? and can big (er) mfg provide it?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Foley Bros. just announced a brewery only release of Triple Maiden IPA.

Who's going to make the sacrifice to drive up and try some?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:Foley Bros. just announced a brewery only release of Triple Maiden IPA.

saw that, not me...too much effort and they don't have any other beer for sale in bottles...must suck to have a product that good and be unable to get it to market or otherwise meet demand...I hope they get it together soon and start putting out product on a consistent basis...I still have 4 prospect, a maiden and a citrennial on hand here...definitely digging the stainless forest from burlington beer...had their mistral single hop last nite...good but the stainless was more my style...
mach es sehr schnell

DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

Mister Moose wrote:Foley Bros. just announced a brewery only release of Triple Maiden IPA.

Hmmm, my wife is taking our daughter up tomorrow to take an early look at UVM and Middlebury colleges.... She's likely headed right down Route 7 on her way back to Southern VT..... I might have to put a special request in for her to make a pit stop :wink: :Toast
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

madhatter wrote:[definitely digging the stainless forest from burlington beer
I agree as Stainless Forest held it's own when compared heads up against Heady Topper. Love to drink great beers heads up against each other. Watched a guy drink a Heady last week at the Cooler in the Mountains that he followed up with a PBR. Never have had the cage match myself.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

An interesting list of IPA rankings came out recently. (Although the page is undated, but it does have fairly new beers like Focal Banger in it) This was "composed entirely of Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) judges who have all studied, trained, and been tested on their ability to discern characteristics in beer" They tasted 309 IPAs, but clearly nowhere near all, and missed many Vermont pacesetters.

Here's a few highlights: (Beer Advocate scores in red for comparison on a few beers)

Sierra Nevade Torpedo 90
Wormtown Be Hoppy 90
Alchemist Focal Banger 90

Avery Maharaja 91
Heady Topper 91 - GIS selling his company stock tomorrow (100/96)
Crank Yanker 91 - I've had this and it has its own mild but flavorful taste
Goose Island IPA 91 - AB makes serious inroads, or the judges were drunk (85/73)

Lagunitas IPA 92

Pliny the Elder 93 West coast standard
Melvin - 93 - Another good "Rocky mountain Style" IPA
Lagunitas Maximus 93

Maine Beer Lunch 94

Against the Grain Sauvin 95
Foley Bros Prospect 95

Sam Adams Rebel IPA 96 - Wuuuut? Going to have to try this surprise scoring one from pedestrian Sam Adams. (82)
Lawsons Sip of Sunshine 96

Lagunitas Sucks 97
Lord Hobo Boom Sauce 97 - Way over rated. (87)
Two Roads Two Juicy 98
Trillium Congress St 98
Treehouse Haze 98

6 Point Resin 99 (91)
Ballast Point Sculpin 99
Foley Bros Pieces of Eight 99
Treehouse Julius 99
New Holland Mad Hatter 99 - HaHaHaHa., sorry, MH, but it wasn't this good.
Foley Bros Fair Maiden 99

Dogfish Burton Baton 100 - Another one I'm going to try (re-try) on the list (93/91)
Lawsons Double Sunshine 100
Treehouse Alter Ego 100
Treehouse Green 100
Maine Beer Dinner 100

The only explanation that makes sense is that no freshness dates were mentioned and they must have varied all over the place to get lopsided scores like that. Notably missing in VT IPAs are Second Fiddle, Lost Nation's efforts, not a single mention of Burlington Beer Co, 14th Star, Frost, Upper Pass, Rock Art, Zero Gravity. Foley did very well, and Lagunitas captured several high rankings. Treehouse had the most 100 pts scores. Hill Farmstead was not present presumably because they don't bottle anything.

For all 309:
https://beerandbrewing.com/cbb-beer-rev ... 80317-edit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:An interesting list of IPA rankings came out recently. (Although the page is undated, but it does have fairly new beers like Focal Banger in it) This was "composed entirely of Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) judges who have all studied, trained, and been tested on their ability to discern characteristics in beer" They tasted 309 IPAs, but clearly nowhere near all, and missed many Vermont pacesetters.

Here's a few highlights: (Beer Advocate scores in red for comparison on a few beers)

Sierra Nevade Torpedo 90
Wormtown Be Hoppy 90
Alchemist Focal Banger 90

Avery Maharaja 91
Heady Topper 91 - GIS selling his company stock tomorrow (100/96)
Crank Yanker 91 - I've had this and it has its own mild but flavorful taste
Goose Island IPA 91 - AB makes serious inroads, or the judges were drunk (85/73)

Lagunitas IPA 92

Pliny the Elder 93 West coast standard
Melvin - 93 - Another good "Rocky mountain Style" IPA
Lagunitas Maximus 93

Maine Beer Lunch 94

Against the Grain Sauvin 95
Foley Bros Prospect 95

Sam Adams Rebel IPA 96 - Wuuuut? Going to have to try this surprise scoring one from pedestrian Sam Adams. (82)
Lawsons Sip of Sunshine 96

Lagunitas Sucks 97
Lord Hobo Boom Sauce 97 - Way over rated. (87)WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Two Roads Two Juicy 98
Trillium Congress St 98
Treehouse Haze 98

6 Point Resin 99 (91)
Ballast Point Sculpin 99
Foley Bros Pieces of Eight 99
Treehouse Julius 99
New Holland Mad Hatter 99 - HaHaHaHa., sorry, MH, but it wasn't this good. nope, not at all...on par w julius? hahahahha
Foley Bros Fair Maiden 99

Dogfish Burton Baton 100 - Another one I'm going to try (re-try) on the list (93/91)
Lawsons Double Sunshine 100
Treehouse Alter Ego 100
Treehouse Green 100
Maine Beer Dinner 100

The only explanation that makes sense is that no freshness dates were mentioned and they must have varied all over the place to get lopsided scores like that. Notably missing in VT IPAs are Second Fiddle, Lost Nation's efforts, not a single mention of Burlington Beer Co, 14th Star, Frost, Upper Pass, Rock Art, Zero Gravity. Foley did very well, and Lagunitas captured several high rankings. Treehouse had the most 100 pts scores. Hill Farmstead was not present presumably because they don't bottle anything.

For all 309:
https://beerandbrewing.com/cbb-beer-rev ... 80317-edit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no foley ruby either, and definitely a problem when Burlington beer isn;t even on the list...
mach es sehr schnell