Beer reviews and recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Mister Moose wrote:
f.a.s.t. wrote:Why are IPA's so popular? I prefer lagers/pilsners and ales.
Um, you do realize that IPAs are an ale....

The genre has grown so much you really have to divide it up -
English,
West Coast,
East Coast,
NEIPA,
American beginner,
Brett
Black
Wheat
Citrus Adjunct

Each is different. You might like one style and not others.

IPA as a class though will generally be more hoppy than a pilsner or lager. Sometimes that results in more bitterness that turns some people off. However the flavor that hops impart, especially fresh hops added late in the boil, is unlike any other beer style. There are IPAs that have large flavor without big bitter.

Also, freshness counts in quality IPAs. I recently (10 days ago) noticed a Connector IPA bomber in the Fridge in Pittsfield that had a date of Feb 22. That beer is junk now, and should not even be offered for sale. If you buy it and don't like it, it will have nothing to do with how that beer tastes fresh. The Mark-up in Killington is full of stale IPAs.

It's at the point now where IPA is so hot people drink it just to be in on the hot trend.

But if you don't like them, there's plenty of other styles and breweries to explore.

Have you tried Von Trapp's lagers? Jack's Abby?
I should have said I like golden ales, amber ales, etc. Yes, I have had a lot Von Trapp's lagers-very good. I have not had Jack's Abby though-I'll look for it. Here in NH I like Moat Mountain Brewery's Helles Lagar and their Czech Style Pilsner. The Auburn Tavern down the road from where I live serve a very good Come to Papa Amber Ale. A lot of places have a half dozen or so IPA's on draft, but hardly any good lagers is somewhat bothersome to me.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
f.a.s.t. wrote:Why are IPA's so popular? I prefer lagers/pilsners and ales.
Um, you do realize that IPAs are an ale....

The genre has grown so much you really have to divide it up -
English,
West Coast,
East Coast,
NEIPA,
American beginner,
Brett
Black
Wheat
Citrus Adjunct

Each is different. You might like one style and not others.

IPA as a class though will generally be more hoppy than a pilsner or lager. Sometimes that results in more bitterness that turns some people off. However the flavor that hops impart, especially fresh hops added late in the boil, is unlike any other beer style. There are IPAs that have large flavor without big bitter.

Also, freshness counts in quality IPAs. I recently (10 days ago) noticed a Connector IPA bomber in the Fridge in Pittsfield that had a date of Feb 22. That beer is junk now, and should not even be offered for sale. If you buy it and don't like it, it will have nothing to do with how that beer tastes fresh. The Mark-up in Killington is full of stale IPAs.

It's at the point now where IPA is so hot people drink it just to be in on the hot trend.

But if you don't like them, there's plenty of other styles and breweries to explore.

Have you tried Von Trapp's lagers? Jack's Abby?
I should have said I like golden ales, amber ales, etc. Yes, I have had a lot Von Trapp's lagers-very good. I have not had Jack's Abby though-I'll look for it. Here in NH I like Moat Mountain Brewery's Helles Lagar and their Czech Style Pilsner. The Auburn Tavern down the road from where I live serve a very good Come to Papa Amber Ale. A lot of places have a half dozen or so IPA's on draft, but hardly any good lagers is somewhat bothersome to me.
We recently went to a food/wine festival in Carlsbad, CA and I tasted what they called a "West Coast IPA" from Culver Beer Company. I had not known, until that moment, that there was a differentiation between the east and west coast varieties.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Maybe some of you would be interested at what is sold at this site:

https://iloveapparel.com/products/celeb ... full-color
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Local brewery is having the autumn harvest festival Saturday. If you would like to take a trip to Branford, CT check out Thimble Island Brewing Co. Reports have it as quite good. Also being hosted by Melly P's at Thimble Island Brewing Company. Located at Stony Creek section of Branford off Rt 146.

edit for location and company sites: Thimble Island Brewing Company
16 Business Park Dr, Branford, Connecticut 06405
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Dr. NO wrote:Local brewery is having the autumn harvest festival Saturday. If you would like to take a trip to Branford, CT check out Thimble Island Brewing Co. Reports have it as quite good. Also being hosted by Melly P's at Thimble Island Brewing Company. Located at Stony Creek section of Branford off Rt 146.

edit for location and company sites: Thimble Island Brewing Company
16 Business Park Dr, Branford, Connecticut 06405
Went to Asbury Park Brewery last night. The Oktoberfest was real good. Some nice lighter IPAs. Also a ginger sour.

Also they have a nice sound system for music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Marginal Verizon signal
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Been spending a lot of time in Manhattan ... went to Ginger Man (East 36th). Great beer selection. They had Lawson's (SoS) on tap so I enjoyed it for my first time. Also had a beer called Wildstyle made by LIC Beer Project, which was excellent.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Been spending a lot of time in Manhattan ... went to Ginger Man (East 36th). Great beer selection. They had Lawson's (SoS) on tap so I enjoyed it for my first time. Also had a beer called Wildstyle made by LIC Beer Project, which was excellent.
Look for Single Cut and Other Half, both worthwhile brewers.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Just saw a commercial on NECN for Sugarbush, and their Castlerock Pub has Heddy Topper and Sip o' Sunshine on tap :shock:
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I had sip o sunshine on tap at the CastleRock last year.

was just in northern Vermont and my buddy and I loaded up the car. We've clearly got a problem...

2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

jimmywilson69 wrote:I had sip o sunshine on tap at the CastleRock last year.

was just in northern Vermont and my buddy and I loaded up the car. We've clearly got a problem...

Nice Haul....definite madhatter seal of approval there... :like
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

MrsG wrote:Just saw a commercial on NECN for Sugarbush, and their Castlerock Pub has Heddy Topper and Sip o' Sunshine on tap :shock:
I'm dreaming of that at the Peak. While HT is not going to happen, SOS should be do-able. I saw Elliot at the peak bar Tuesday chatting with Katie. Those two could make it happen.

In other news, Sushi Yoshi had Farnham Milkshake IPA on tap recently. This one puts creamy to shame and goes all the way to creamsicle. Not heavy though, light on flavor and as low on IBU as it gets. Farnham to date had been a bit of a yawner for me, but this one puts them on the map.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

jimmywilson69 wrote:was just in northern Vermont and my buddy and I loaded up the car. We've clearly got a problem...
I can help with that.

But get rid of the Collective Arts, that's taking up space far better filled with any of the others.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote:was just in northern Vermont and my buddy and I loaded up the car. We've clearly got a problem...
I can help with that.

But get rid of the Collective Arts, that's taking up space far better filled with any of the others.
I've had some very good beers from collective arts...the #2 and #3 were both pretty good...ransack gets old...there was another I can't remember the name of that I also liked...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

thanks guys. My buddy must've bought the collective Arts at the Craft Beer Cellar in Waterbury. I don't even recall use talking about that brewery, and I know I didn't get any of that.

Have you guys had any beer from Upper Pass Beer Company? If you haven't had a chance to try it, seek it out. Frist Drop is a pale ale and it was really good.

AS if I didn't already need a reason to want to move to VT, the beer is just so good up there...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs