Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by madhatter »

freeski wrote:Festivus lives another day. :|
F17.jpg
pretty sure you exceeded my yearly limit for parties in less than 2 weeks...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Stainless Forest, by Burlington Beer Co, courtesy of Mad Hatter. Pours a gorgeous full cloudy golden orange. The nose is boozy and sweet, with notes of citrus and orange blossom. Taste is light orange citrus with building bitter. Body is very good silky creamy with a touch of thinness. A little funk in the background. Extremely good, but not as good as say, Julius, which this is a cousin of. However you can actually find this on the shelf* without driving to the brewery and waiting 2 hours only to be told they ran out 5 minutes ago.

Burlington issues a huge number of small production beers that are weird or creative, depending on your point of view. Many are one-offs you'll never see again. Frequently they make one that is very good (remember Orbital Elevator last spring?) and this is one of them. They also date their cans, so it's easy to be sure you're getting a fresh one.

*That shelf needs to be north of Springfield VT.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Mister Moose wrote:Stainless Forest, by Burlington Beer Co, courtesy of Mad Hatter. Pours a gorgeous full cloudy golden orange. The nose is boozy and sweet, with notes of citrus and orange blossom. Taste is light orange citrus with building bitter. Body is very good silky creamy with a touch of thinness. A little funk in the background. Extremely good, but not as good as say, Julius, which this is a cousin of. However you can actually find this on the shelf* without driving to the brewery and waiting 2 hours only to be told they ran out 5 minutes ago.

Burlington issues a huge number of small production beers that are weird or creative, depending on your point of view. Many are one-offs you'll never see again. Frequently they make one that is very good (remember Orbital Elevator last spring?) and this is one of them. They also date their cans, so it's easy to be sure you're getting a fresh one.

*That shelf needs to be north of Springfield VT.
I can't believe you didn't come Mr Moose. I figured you just fly into Concord and walk.

MH: I'm a lightweight in Concord. Some of my friends bring dogs to parties. Maybe this has happened in VT.

I only drew 80 or so on Festivus. Was hoping for 500. I'm going to have a fish fry in November.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Progression...

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

freeski wrote:
I can't believe you didn't come Mr Moose. I figured you just fly into Concord and walk.

MH: I'm a lightweight in Concord. Some of my friends bring dogs to parties. Maybe this has happened in VT.

I only drew 80 or so on Festivus. Was hoping for 500. I'm going to have a fish fry in November.
Except I don't own an airplane. What's the drive time from Killington, 2 hours?
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Mister Moose wrote:
freeski wrote:

I don't know the time, butt it's 100 miles from K1.
It looks like it's up to me to get to Killington and it's almost time to do that.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Mister Moose wrote:
freeski wrote:

Not sure on time. It's 100 miles from K1 with a short cut. You leave I89 around Pat's Peak and cut through the woods of Penacook.
Almost time for me to get to Killington anyways.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Mister Moose wrote:
freeski wrote:

About an hour and a half, just keep it under 80, conditions permitting. The state was going to raise the speed limit to 70 like they did on I 93 north of Concord, but never did.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Why are IPA's so popular? I prefer lagers/pilsners and ales.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Why are IPA's so popular? I prefer lagers/pilsners and ales.
:like Unfortunately the best Pilsners I have ever had were in Berlin Germany. Ironmanwannabe brewed a couple good ones but has since put the process to bed.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Just like anything else, it's an acquired taste. Once you are hooked you'll be happy. Many subtle tastes from one variety to another. Much like good wine.

Pilsners and lagers are great too. there are times when a Bud light is the beer you want.... All depends on the occasion.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Enjoying this now and it meets Mtn Man's freshness criteria. Bottled 10/9. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19544/101102/
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Um, you do realize that IPAs are an ale....

The genre has grown so much you really have to divide it up -
English,
West Coast,
East Coast,
NEIPA,
American beginner,
Brett
Black
Wheat
Citrus Adjunct

Each is different. You might like one style and not others.

IPA as a class though will generally be more hoppy than a pilsner or lager. Sometimes that results in more bitterness that turns some people off. However the flavor that hops impart, especially fresh hops added late in the boil, is unlike any other beer style. There are IPAs that have large flavor without big bitter.

Also, freshness counts in quality IPAs. I recently (10 days ago) noticed a Connector IPA bomber in the Fridge in Pittsfield that had a date of Feb 22. That beer is junk now, and should not even be offered for sale. If you buy it and don't like it, it will have nothing to do with how that beer tastes fresh. The Mark-up in Killington is full of stale IPAs.

It's at the point now where IPA is so hot people drink it just to be in on the hot trend.

But if you don't like them, there's plenty of other styles and breweries to explore.

Have you tried Von Trapp's lagers? Jack's Abby?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Mister Moose wrote:
Um, you do realize that IPAs are an ale....

The genre has grown so much you really have to divide it up -
English,
West Coast,
East Coast,
NEIPA,
American beginner,
Brett
Black
Wheat
Citrus Adjunct

Each is different. You might like one style and not others.

IPA as a class though will generally be more hoppy than a pilsner or lager. Sometimes that results in more bitterness that turns some people off. However the flavor that hops impart, especially fresh hops added late in the boil, is unlike any other beer style. There are IPAs that have large flavor without big bitter.

Also, freshness counts in quality IPAs. I recently (10 days ago) noticed a Connector IPA bomber in the Fridge in Pittsfield that had a date of Feb 22. That beer is junk now, and should not even be offered for sale. If you buy it and don't like it, it will have nothing to do with how that beer tastes fresh. The Mark-up in Killington is full of stale IPAs.

It's at the point now where IPA is so hot people drink it just to be in on the hot trend.

But if you don't like them, there's plenty of other styles and breweries to explore.

Have you tried Von Trapp's lagers? Jack's Abby?
Good point about freshness - IPAs are not wine - I recently noticed that even a week makes a huge difference depending on the beer. Hence the huge lines down here at Treehouse etc. It's a waste putting this stuff in the fridge.

Had a stale Heady last week - very sad.......My friends thought is was awesome because they never had it before.