Awesome Killington press release!!!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Look, I wasn't looking to argue about what happened, what didn't, or how ohh these guys sucked, they didn't deliver, or anything like that, nothing like that at all... Not trying to say old management or new management is any better, just saying it was a great little article, and a great plan, but plain and simple, did not happen...

I believe the snowmaking was only increased by 30%, never 50%...

"The Major renovations to the Killington Peak restaurant including a new restaurant within the existing building."

No new restaurant was ever been put in, and if the place fell apart that fast, they didn't do so good in renovating what little there is there now...

"There are also plans to offer night rides to the peak for fine dining and dancing"

Nope...

The new 1,200-foot snowboard park on Upper Bunny Buster will be lift-serviced.

Nope...

A new regulation halfpipe and snowboard park will be added at Pico Mountain, both lift-serviced.

Nope...

A new state-of-the-art shaping implement will cut and groom the halfpipes and parks at Killington.

Nope...

If Superstar Express was a brand new lift 8-10 years ago, it sure fell apart fast, has had many problems over the past several years, and looks like crap, makes a lot of noise too....
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Highway Star wrote:
Oh, and Skippy Snow can't read.... :roll:
Not you too! I just read that little tid-bit about the Grand in the article...

If they spent around $35 M on the stuff they did do, then how was 3 new high speed lifts, a fixed quad, a new restaurant at the interconnect, another new restaurant at the peak, a bunch more renovations at the Peak, a new pipe cutter thingy, and cutting 6 miles of trail,

All going to cost $15 M ??
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

skiingsnow wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

If they spent around $35 M on the stuff they did do, then how was 3 new high speed lifts, a fixed quad, a new restaurant at the interconnect, another new restaurant at the peak, a bunch more renovations at the Peak, a new pipe cutter thingy, and cutting 6 miles of trail,

They did the refirb on Superstar as discussed, that is what they are talking about. They were only going to refirb the pico quad too. Probably around $1m.

They have had multiple pipe cutters over the years.

Anyway, what they did do between '97 and '01 probably did cost around $30-35M in reality. They are talking about $50M+ total. Evidently, things cost more than expected, and they ran out of money. The interconnect with two lifts is probably $15M, including the resteraunt.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

skiingsnow wrote:Look, I wasn't looking to argue about what happened, what didn't, or how ohh these guys sucked, they didn't deliver, or anything like that, nothing like that at all... Not trying to say old management or new management is any better, just saying it was a great little article, and a great plan, but plain and simple, did not happen...

I believe the snowmaking was only increased by 30%, never 50%...

"The Major renovations to the Killington Peak restaurant including a new restaurant within the existing building."

No new restaurant was ever been put in, and if the place fell apart that fast, they didn't do so good in renovating what little there is there now...

"There are also plans to offer night rides to the peak for fine dining and dancing"

Nope...

The new 1,200-foot snowboard park on Upper Bunny Buster will be lift-serviced.

Nope...

A new regulation halfpipe and snowboard park will be added at Pico Mountain, both lift-serviced.

Nope...

A new state-of-the-art shaping implement will cut and groom the halfpipes and parks at Killington.

Nope...

If Superstar Express was a brand new lift 8-10 years ago, it sure fell apart fast, has had many problems over the past several years, and looks like crap, makes a lot of noise too....
Actually, they did do that a couple times.

Guess you didn't keep very good notes when you were still in elementary school.
Ballzout
Bumper

Post by Ballzout »

I remember the first time I came to Killington. It was January 2001.
There was a terrain park on Snowshed,
1 halfpipe in front of KBL,
Shaun Palmer boardercross,
and you could ski/ride old Sunrise Mountain.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Highway Star wrote:
skiingsnow wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

They did the refirb on Superstar as discussed, that is what they are talking about. They were only going to refirb the pico quad too. Probably around $1m.

Anyway, what they did do between '97 and '01 probably did cost around $30-35M in reality. They are talking about $50M+ total. Evidently, things cost more than expected, and they ran out of money. The interconnect with two lifts is probably $15M, including the resteraunt.
As anyone can see, I didn't read the whole article, only the headlines at the beginning and on down to half way down, then scimmed through all the details at the bottom... Didn't notice the details of the "new lifts", thought they were planning to completely replace...

Anywho, hope we get some new things this summer, and in a few years can get big new stuff, like the interconnect...
madvillain
Bumper
Location: The middle of nowhere - VT Tech; Randolph Center, VT

Post by madvillain »

Ballzout wrote:I remember the first time I came to Killington. It was January 2001.
There was a terrain park on Snowshed,
1 halfpipe in front of KBL,
Shaun Palmer boardercross,
and you could ski/ride old Sunrise Mountain.
I first arrived at K in Dec 2000. I miss the terrain park on Snowshed & when Conclusion wasn't a mogul course. :cry:
"The sun is bright and the powder bitchin'!"
-Unknown Dude
:
::
:::
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

skiingsnow wrote:
Highway Star wrote:
skiingsnow wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

As anyone can see, I didn't read the whole article, only the headlines at the beginning and on down to half way down, then scimmed through all the details at the bottom... Didn't notice the details of the "new lifts", thought they were planning to completely replace...

Anywho, hope we get some new things this summer, and in a few years can get big new stuff, like the interconnect...
So why the f*ck would you start commenting on the article and how they didn't deliver?

When you get an order making someones salad, do you read the entire order before you start? Maybe they didn't want tomatoes, but you didn't read the whole order and gave them tomatoes.
buzzkill
Powderhound

Post by buzzkill »

laseranimal wrote:
skiingsnow wrote:It is indeed a very well written exciting article!!!

But, half of it never happened, probably around $20 M was spent, no where near what they were talking about... Is that what you want powdr to do? Come out with this huge plan, and do some of it, and although they only spent half of what they said, you guys would still be really happy with that?

The new Killington Grand Hotel and Crown Club.

Check

A new state-of-the-art gondola to Killington Peak.

Check

Doubled snowmaking capacity with new water sources including a connection to Woodward Reservoir.

Check

The connection of Killington with Pico Mountain for seven interconnected mountains of skiing and riding, two new lifts and 110 acres of new terrain.[

Nope

Interconnect mid-mountain restaurant.

Nope

Major renovations to the Killington Peak restaurant including a new restaurant within the existing building.

Check(I think?)

Another 5,500 sq. ft. added to the 20,000 sq. ft. Rams Head Family Center.

Check(I think?)

A new pedestrian underpass from Rams Head to Snowshed.

Check

A new pedestrian bridge from Skyeship Base Station across Route 4 to the parking lot.

Check

Replacement lifts on the Superstar and Summit Express Quads.

Yes/No?

Two new halfpipes, one with an inverted "V," a permanent BoarderCross, a lift-serviced snowboard park, and a mini-halfpipe and halfpipe learning area.

Nope maybe it was done but its not there anymore

so by my count depending on whether the Quad lifts got done and if you count the fact that the parks may or may not have been done thats 8/11 tasks completed. Depends on what your definition of "half" is though

and yeah, you could argue all you want but $20 million invested out of a planned $50 million is a hell of a lot better then $6 million invested out of $6 million budgeted....

Like it of not K needs a MAJOR overhaul on its infrastructure before ANYONE is going to buy trophy home property there.
ditto.

SSQ and SEQ were Yan's, everything but the towers, shells of base/summit buildings were replaced. Half pipes, wgas.

I don't want to go overboard defending ASC, but I believe they
ran into more Bear habitat or other environmental suits that delayed
the interconnect summer '97, by the time it was cleared up, they were too
far in debt and put it on hold.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Re: Awesome Killington press release!!!

Post by KingsFourMan »

Killington will have the largest lift system in North America with 35 lifts including 14 quads and 7 high-speed express quads, the most in the East. The lift system is able to transport guests quickly to the diverse network of trails on seven mountains. The system will be more than 20 miles in length . . . long enough to stretch across Long Island Sound from Bridgeport, Conn. to Port Jefferson on Long Island.

Killington will have a resort footprint stretching more than six miles - bigger than the core of Washington, D.C. from the southeast to the northeast border of the city, and wider than most Western counterparts.

The shortest skiing route from the base of Sunrise Mountain to the base of Pico Mountain is 11 miles. If a guest were to ski or ride the shortest distance from one end of the resort to the other it would be like skiing or riding almost the entire length of Manhattan, or from anywhere along Route 128 to Boston.

Killington will offer more terrain than most could ski in a week- more than 100+ miles, the distance from Philadelphia to New York City.
This would certainly justify a new village and sell real estate! What an awesome resort this would be. Bigger is better when it comes to ski reosrts.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Continue snowmaking upgrades, replace SPQ and Snowdon lifts and complete the Pico Interconnect. That's it. Simple plan. I'm happy... :D

The best thing they ever did was put in the connection to Woodward. Luckily they got that in before the economy and the market went down the toilet and ASC with it. Can you imagine the snowmaking now without that?
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

RENO wrote:
The best thing they ever did was put in the connection to Woodward. Luckily they got that in before the economy and the market went down the toilet and ASC with it. Can you imagine the snowmaking now without that?
+1
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
Tyler Durden
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Tyler Durden »

*yawn*
skitiger
Bumper

Post by skitiger »

For a while there was "dining" at the peak restaurant, complete with gondola rides with blankets. Unfortunately, ASC never figured out how to cook at the peak for said "dining", so food was regularly shuttled to the peak via the gondola.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Awesome Killington press release!!!

Post by Highway Star »

Glad to hear all these improvements are coming along nicely!
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters