New Years Eve

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

sunryz710
Beginner On Rentals

New Years Eve

Post by sunryz710 »

Hi everyone,
I tried to search the forum before posting and did not see anything discussed about New Years Eve.

We are heading up to Killington for New Years (My boyfriend and I late 30's)
Can anyone tell me what events normally take place if any?

Are there fireworks on the mountain or anything fun? We want to try to figure out what is offered so that we can start planning. We usually go to another mountain over new years and they have fireworks and sort of a party on new years eve right on the mountain. I realize Killington doesn't offer night skiing so wondering they do anything at all.
We are going to Killington this year because it is our favorite mountain to ski in the northeast! We can't wait!

I know its early so I can't find anything about it on the Killington website yet.
Any information about past years, suggestions or ideas you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: New Years Eve

Post by tyrolean_skier »

sunryz710 wrote:Hi everyone,
I tried to search the forum before posting and did not see anything discussed about New Years Eve.

We are heading up to Killington for New Years (My boyfriend and I late 30's)
Can anyone tell me what events normally take place if any?

Are there fireworks on the mountain or anything fun? We want to try to figure out what is offered so that we can start planning. We usually go to another mountain over new years and they have fireworks and sort of a party on new years eve right on the mountain. I realize Killington doesn't offer night skiing so wondering they do anything at all.
We are going to Killington this year because it is our favorite mountain to ski in the northeast! We can't wait!

I know its early so I can't find anything about it on the Killington website yet.
Any information about past years, suggestions or ideas you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
I believe there is usually something going on at the Pickle Barrell and maybe even at the Wobbly Barn that you would need tickets for. I am sure all the other establishments on the Access Road will have something going on. I usually attend private parties so I don't have much experience about these other types of parties. I hope someone else answers you about the fireworks as I don't remember if New Year's Eve is one of the nights they have them.

Regardless where you end up, I'm sure you will have fun. Welcome to the forum.
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

Just be prepared for a DUI, if driving out of town.
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

there are no fireworks, usually. the wobbly, pickle and outback will have some decent bands. cover charges are high. pickle will be packed, wobbly will be full, and outback should be mobbed, but this was not the case last year. dont drive if you dont have to, as there is typically 3 dui stops on the mountain itself, with additional stops down towards rutland, maybe west into bridgewater area as well. police presence is NO joke up there, especially on NYE, but throughout the entire holiday vacation period. also, please remember to tip your servers and bartenders especially heavy. thanks...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
sunryz710
Beginner On Rentals

Post by sunryz710 »

We are staying at Killington Grand. Are cabs easily assessible? or does anyone know if there are buses of shuttles?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

sunryz710 wrote:We are staying at Killington Grand. Are cabs easily assessible? or does anyone know if there are buses of shuttles?
"The Bus" runs regularly and stops at the Grand. Some of the night spots run their own shuttles to take you home and there's also taxi service if needed. You'll be fine. Just don't drink and drive.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Gangsta Rider
Postaholic

Post by Gangsta Rider »

sunryz710 wrote:We are staying at Killington Grand. Are cabs easily assessible? or does anyone know if there are buses of shuttles?

The shuttles offered by The Pickle Barrel, Wobbly Barn and Outback are all free as well. As long as your going to or from their place.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

Be prepared to be financially raped if you go to the Pickle Barrel or the Wobbly. And if you are going to drink definately dont drive. there WILL be checkpoints on the road. Last year there was one down by Roots ski shop. The year before that I believe it was at the firehouse/Caseys Caboose. They stop every car. I have also heard stories of the cops walking thru the parking lots and wiping a finger across a head light so they would know you were at a bar. Wether or not that is true, I dont know. Look out for the Super Troopers.
The best thing to do is try and find a ski house party or two.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

kick it in the woods.....make a fire, get a generator, some dead / phish nye shows, a keg of LT.....
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
rockon
Bumper

Post by rockon »

icedtea wrote:kick it in the woods.....make a fire, get a generator, some dead / phish nye shows, a keg of LT.....
^ right next to a raging river, a short walk down across a beautiful bridge, and lots of liqour buried and kept cold in a bar made out of snow. a very shady maple nye! no cover charge, no excessive tourist crowds, no dui checkpoints, no shuttle buses ... and midnight is whenever the hell we feel like counting down.
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid."

johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

BoozeTan wrote:Be prepared to be financially raped if you go to the Pickle Barrel or the Wobbly. And if you are going to drink definately dont drive. there WILL be checkpoints on the road. Last year there was one down by Roots ski shop. The year before that I believe it was at the firehouse/Caseys Caboose. They stop every car. I have also heard stories of the cops walking thru the parking lots and wiping a finger across a head light so they would know you were at a bar. Wether or not that is true, I dont know. Look out for the Super Troopers.
The best thing to do is try and find a ski house party or two.
they move the checkpoint down the road as the night goes on. starts up near outback, moves to the fire dept, the moves further down the road for the late night crowd...they set up and break down at least 3 times on NYE...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

johnny the jibber wrote: they move the checkpoint down the road as the night goes on. starts up near outback, moves to the fire dept, the moves further down the road for the late night crowd...they set up and break down at least 3 times on NYE...
that would make sense because last year I went out after the ball dropped and the checkpoint was at Roots nad the year before I was out around 10 or so and it was at the firehouse......
sunryz710
Beginner On Rentals

Post by sunryz710 »

It is looking like a party for 2 in our room is sounding better and better..
I guess we would like to have dinner somewhere first and then watch the ball drop in our room and have our own little party.

Any suggestions as to where we may be able to make reservations for a nice new years eve dinner??
Thanks for all of your feedback.. I can't wait to hit those slopes!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

sunryz710 wrote:It is looking like a party for 2 in our room is sounding better and better..
I guess we would like to have dinner somewhere first and then watch the ball drop in our room and have our own little party.

Any suggestions as to where we may be able to make reservations for a nice new years eve dinner??
Thanks for all of your feedback.. I can't wait to hit those slopes!
Choices is always good and it's not too far down the road from the Grand.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

There's always the Basherhaus :wink:
I think I've been to a house NYE party at K for the last 7 years, always the best bet :Toast

I think the Birch Inn or something like that, is a good place for NYE. I had a great dinner there one time.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....