Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Re: New Year 2009 Celebration in Killington

Post by johnny the jibber »

yeah, that place is alright as well...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
richm20
Bumper

Post by richm20 »

Lets get back to the original question.
On NYE get your tix now for the pickle barrel.
I know a lot of people say that its a "young crowd" but I don't think mid 30's is still considered young. There are plenty of twenty something's, but a good number of folks are older.
If you don't like loud music its not the spot for you. One nice thing is the variety, on most nights there is a band on the first floor and a DJ takes over when the band takes a break, also another band on the second floor.
I don't go out in VT for NYE, I stay in NYC. that said I may not know the best places.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Claude puts on a pretty decent spread on NYE at Choices. I've done that a few times over the years as an alternative to the bars & clubs with the bands cranked up.
Simulik
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Simulik »

Mister Moose wrote:
Simulik wrote:Oh, wow, so it actually pays to get skis off the moutain, i had no idea!
Any specific shops you recommend?
I guess we can get just one separate lesson at the mountain.
I don't rent skiis, so I'm not sure who has the best rental fleet.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ski+shop+05751

Peak Performance is performance/race oriented. Forerunner and Black Dog are smaller shops that have a local following. Northern, Aspen East and Basin are larger shops. First Stop (at the corner of Rte 4 and 100S has a rental sign, but I've never seen their equipment offering.

If you're going to rent boots I'd go with the shop most willing to spend some time fitting you.

As far as you dragging your huband down a blue run the first day, you might want to have him take 2 lessons (morning and afternoon the first day) and wait at least until the second day. Make sure he can turn and stop confidently, otherwise he should stay on the greens. Good places are the greens and blues at Rams Head, Cruise Control, the new great Eastern for a long scenic run, maybe Snowshed for a warm up run. High Road off the Northbrook chair could be excellent for a newly minted skier. (Make sure the Northbrook chair is running) Stay off Skyeburst, Skylark, and all of Bear. The Glades, or Northridge, is a nice blue run, but the route down afterwards is a traffic jam.

Great, thanks so much for that info!! that's really helpful!
Simulik
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Simulik »

richm20 wrote:Lets get back to the original question.
I know a lot of people say that its a "young crowd" but I don't think mid 30's is still considered young. There are plenty of twenty something's, but a good number of folks are older.
If you don't like loud music its not the spot for you. One nice thing is the variety, on most nights there is a band on the first floor and a DJ takes over when the band takes a break, also another band on the second floor.
I don't go out in VT for NYE, I stay in NYC. that said I may not know the best places.

We are in our mid 30's - what would be the best place, with not such young people, but also something fun and lively?
Thanks!
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

wobbly barn, pickle barrel or outback...

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
thorski
Slalom Racer

Post by thorski »

sLoPeS wrote:Image
Nice.
Modern pizza is the best
Dancing Queen
Green Skidder

Post by Dancing Queen »

Geoff wrote:Claude puts on a pretty decent spread on NYE at Choices. I've done that a few times over the years as an alternative to the bars & clubs with the bands cranked up.
You sound like you are getting old....what is wrong with bars & clubs and cranked-up bands?

Humans invented language to satisfy the need to complain
Simulik
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Simulik »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Geoff wrote:Claude puts on a pretty decent spread on NYE at Choices. I've done that a few times over the years as an alternative to the bars & clubs with the bands cranked up.
You sound like you are getting old....what is wrong with bars & clubs and cranked-up bands?
Oh no not at all, we love to have a good time and party :banana: , but just not with college kids anymore. But from those 3 places what is your favorite?
Simulik
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Simulik »

richm20 wrote:Lets get back to the original question.

Would you say Pickle Barrel is the best from 3 places?
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

yes...