Killington vs. Ski Sundown...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

2knees
Poster Child Poster

Re: Killington vs. Ski Sundown...

Post by 2knees »

the one on the left (looking up the hill) would be fun, if it actually snowed in connecticut. i've never seen it covered enough to even think about trying it. there are 2 5 foot drops in there but some serious shark teeth in the landings.

A killington regular on alpinezone has mentioned there is a contingent of killington skiers coming down to use the march comp as a warmup for the BMMC. anyone from this board???? Disssss, how bout you. they setup some serious staircases on gunbarrel this past weekend. old school, rack it, all that sh*t.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Admit it, Highway Star: You were just trolling for Greg, weren't you. Congrats, you caught a live one. :lol:
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

AlpineZone wrote:The fact that you're actually trying to address the original question is almost laughable. Of course there is no comparison between the two. There's not supposed to be. Still, at 25 minutes away, for me Sundown is a great little mountain for night skiing and taking advantage of the handful of powder days we see down here without having to drive too far. Skiing at night during a dump is FUN! I'm also there quite a bit with my kids and they love it.

As far as it being repetitive, well yes it can be, but I'll lap the bumps with my boys for hours on end anyway. A few of them ski Killington regularly and have commented that sometimes Sundown's bumps are better than what Killington is offering. There's been a nice string of bumps at Sundown since opening day on 11/28. As others have mentioned, Gunbarrel is getting seeded this weekend and will be a pretty cool run. Decent pitch, good sun exposure and pretty long at 1,800 feet with a vertical drop around 600 feet. Not bad for CT. If you're a mogul nut, it's a great place to go. Bump skiers don't need a lot of variety. Decent pitch, sun, soft snow, good lines and some rippin' buds usually adds up to a good time.

All that aside, of course K still blows it away. Make it a fairer comparison by comparing Sundown to just about any other place in SNE except for maybe Berkshire East on a powder day, and I'd put Sundown at the top.

Uh, Greg... you DO know the thread's a joke, right?

If not, I'd be most interested to hear your thoughts on the raging "Killington vs. Death Star" debate.

Oy.
"Default on aug 3rd just like clown lips said."
-- Racist Maddie, finally revealing himself as the hateful racist that he really is

"The rest of your post is something my pathetic little mind can't even remotely fathom."
-- Racist Maddie: uncut, uncensored, unedited and unhinged

"when is JG gonna figure out that since i OWN HIM, there is no need to respond to him"
-- tellitlikeheiwishesitwas, stumbling into a new way to handle being publicly called out for lying: a clumsy duck and weave with a dollop of self-delusion

"blah blah Okemo is awesome blah"
-- SkippyShill, in an accidental moment of misplaced clarity

"Go f*** yourself."
-- StreetSkippy, who be hatin' on tha haters
sLoPeS
Slalom Racer

Post by sLoPeS »

2knees wrote:the one on the left (looking up the hill) would be fun, if it actually snowed in connecticut. i've never seen it covered enough to even think about trying it. there are 2 5 foot drops in there but some serious shark teeth in the landings.

A killington regular on alpinezone has mentioned there is a contingent of killington skiers coming down to use the march comp as a warmup for the BMMC. anyone from this board???? Disssss, how bout you. they setup some serious staircases on gunbarrel this past weekend. old school, rack it, all that sh*t.
im there. how is gunny looking? pics help. thanks.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
AlpineZone
Admin AlpineZone.com

Post by AlpineZone »

sLoPeS wrote:im there. how is gunny looking? pics help. thanks.
As of tonight:

It's about 1/3 complete. When done, it will be a tad wider than what you see there, and 1,800 feet long with a ~600 foot vertical drop.
sLoPeS
Slalom Racer

Post by sLoPeS »

looking goooood. :D
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

DAMN, I may have to take an evening trip over to Sundown to get the legs working properly.

So, exactly where are the seeded bumps at Killington for the public to play in?

OH, I know, for seeded bumps near Killington you have to go to P-Okemo-N, and they have at least 3 runs with them. Just ain't right. :bang
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
AlpineZone
Admin AlpineZone.com

Post by AlpineZone »

2knees wrote:the $1000 is just a rumor. i've heard it from a number of people but not from Chris Sullivans mouth, who would be the one to know for sure.

Next time i see him there, i'll ask if he can provide a list of prizes. the top 4 in each category get awards, but some of the lesser prizes came out of the lost and found i think. :P
It's official. March 22 will start with a slope style event with $500 to the winner, then an invite only big air contest with $1,000 to the winner. They will finish the day with the Bump or Bust comp with $1,000 going to the winner! Also, the Meatheads will be on hand to film the day's events. It's also rumored that Radio Ron and the Hammer will be in attendance.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

AlpineZone wrote:
2knees wrote:the $1000 is just a rumor. i've heard it from a number of people but not from Chris Sullivans mouth, who would be the one to know for sure.

Next time i see him there, i'll ask if he can provide a list of prizes. the top 4 in each category get awards, but some of the lesser prizes came out of the lost and found i think. :P
It's official. March 22 will start with a slope style event with $500 to the winner, then an invite only big air contest with $1,000 to the winner. They will finish the day with the Bump or Bust comp with $1,000 going to the winner! Also, the Meatheads will be on hand to film the day's events. It's also rumored that Radio Ron and the Hammer will be in attendance.
The HAMMER at lowly ole Ski Sundown? Things are looking BIG for this little area.

Wonder if Rod of Woodbury is up to the Big Air Challange? They have footage of him nearly killing himself doing a back flip.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

paging diss and highwaystar.

come to the front desk please.
AlpineZone
Admin AlpineZone.com

Post by AlpineZone »

Like most places they looked a little sketch yesterday morning, but drop a foot in here tomorrow and let's see what we get:

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Since I was in New Hartford today, I stopped by to take a look. Grainy, but here's Gunbarrel and a lone skier this afternoon. Bumps look in good shape from below (which is always deceiving)

2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

they pushed some snow around up top. tuesday, there was a big bare spot up there. it aint big time, but its a crapload of fun.

http://vimeo.com/3734022?pg=embed&sec=
AlpineZone
Admin AlpineZone.com

Post by AlpineZone »

Looks like perfect weather for tomorrow. Come check it out:

http://www.skisundown.com/events/index. ... ail&id=409

SKI SUNDOWN'S SUPER STUPENDOUS SPRING SUNDAY SPECTACULAR!
Date of Event: 03/22/2009 to 03/22/2009
Start Time: 08:00 AM
End Time: 6:00 PM

This all day event will incude a slopestyle event for skiers in the Stinger Terrain Park comparable to The Main Event for snowboarders held in the park earlier in the season, a "Big Air" event by invitation only and the 2nd "Bump or Bust" Mogul Competition of the season to be held on Gunbarrel. Cash prizes alone for the day's event will total $2500 with additional prizes awarded from sponsors. This will be a day for showmen, showwomen and spectators alike with stunts, sport shops, sizzling steaks, and spring snow! Meathead Films of Burlington, VT, dedicated to creating innovative movies based exclusively in the East, will film segments for their next movie to be released in the fall. Eastern Mountain Sports will supply the cash prizes and other sponsors of the day's events include Suburban Sports of Berlin, Nordica & Smith Optics.

EVENT TIMELINE:
10AM- Slopestyle Event for skiers only. Category-Open. Registration: 8am-9:30am; $10 entry fee. Helmets required. Waiver/release form required and must be signed by parent/legal guardian if under 18. $500 1st place prize.

1PM - "Invite Only" Big Air Event. $1000 Best Trick Prize

2:30PM - "Bump or Bust" Mogul Competition on Gunbarrel. Categories: Skiers 18+, Skiers U-18, Snowboarders-Open, Women-Open; Registration: 12:30-2:00pm. $20 entry fee. Helmets required. Waiver/release form required and must be signed by parent/legal guardian if under 18. $1000 1st place prize for Category-Skiers 18+.

Awards following mogul event (approximately 5-5:30pm) on the deck.
Sponsors include Eastern Mountain Sports, Suburban Sports, Nordica & Smith Optics

Contact Name: Jarrod

Contact Email Address: jarrod@skisundown.com
the Disemboweler
Whipping Post

Post by the Disemboweler »

2knees wrote:paging diss and highwaystar.

come to the front desk please.
im here....never been to this provider....im not much of a leader i would go with someone i knew....i would follow their lead....just as i lead folks at my beloved institution....
I do what I want, when I want, where I want, & how I want & if you don't like it you can go $uck yourself :-)

Witness the birth of evil. The disemboweler :-$

http://www.yadvashem.org/

http://www.komennyc.org/

http://gohtbc.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE4dJJ_k ... re=related

http://www.swjackdrilling.com/

Long live Killington Resort and Turn of the River Lodge!!!!