Re: Damage at K

Post by Stormchaser »

ImageImageImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Stormchaser wrote:Image
I think that map grossly understates the amount of r*in that fell in the mountains.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Bubba wrote:
I think that map grossly understates the amount of r*in that fell in the mountains.

I checked the NWS data centers for rainfall totals. Most were between 5 and 8 inches. Nothing in K proper, but Cavendish just outside Okemo was one of the higher ones (7.6 inches). Woodstock reported 7.34 inches.

http://mi.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=btv
ImageImageImageImage
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Stormchaser wrote:
Bubba wrote:

I checked the NWS data centers for rainfall totals. Most were between 5 and 8 inches. Nothing in K proper, but Cavendish just outside Okemo was one of the higher ones (7.6 inches). Woodstock reported 7.34 inches.

Upon further review...

Rutland reported about 3" less r*in than towns this side of the divide. I bet the mountains drained that extra 3", and localized amounts could have been closer to 11 inches.
ImageImageImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Stormchaser wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
Bubba wrote:

Upon further review...

Rutland reported about 3" less r*in than towns this side of the divide. I bet the mountains drained that extra 3", and localized amounts could have been closer to 11 inches.
My guess, judging by the rate of rainfall all day, was that we got around 12", maybe more. It started r*ining heavily during the night and kept on at a pretty heavy (and consistently heavy) rate all day until around 3:00 - 4:00 PM. If we received an inch an hour for much of that period, your estimate would come close to my guess so we can't be too far off one way or the other. Whatever we got, it did a hell of a lot of damage.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Bubba wrote:My guess, judging by the rate of rainfall all day, was that we got around 12", maybe more. It started r*ining heavily during the night and kept on at a pretty heavy (and consistently heavy) rate all day until around 3:00 - 4:00 PM. If we received an inch an hour for much of that period, your estimate would come close to my guess so we can't be too far off one way or the other. Whatever we got, it did a hell of a lot of damage.
It's the same orographic lift that gives the spine of the greens 250" of snow every year. The warm-moist air in the flats was pushed uphill where it cooled and came down as a downpour. Looking at rainfall in Rutland is pretty much useless information.
Jim
Slalom Racer

Post by Jim »

they got a lot of r*in...who cares what the charts say.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

7" to 20" of r*in up on the mountains has to come down and that is raging overflowing rivers. Not much r*in and local damage in the big valley area, but where the rivers come down, Mill, Cold Creek etc., the damage was very prevalent. Reminds me of 76 or 77 when the r*in hit Estes Park and the flood took water, cars, homes and bodies all the way to Greeley, Colorado.

Looked it up, was 76. We sent choppers down to help and then crews to clean up from Cheyenne.

MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Geoff wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote: Having met you once in the past I know you really aren;t the know it all dick you come off as here.
"Know it all dick" is Geoff's on-line personna. In person, he's just strongly opinionated. :mrgreen:
With the caveat that I always offer up what I know as fact and what I don't know and is conjecture or opinion. That's what Engineers do. I'm paid a lot of money to be able to recognise the difference.

so we can take it as FACT that 4 will be paved woodstock to rutland by oct 1? How much coin ya wanna lay on that?
The traditional bet is a 750 ml of Wild Turkey 101.
Bump for Wild Turkey 101 bet.

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bump for Wild Turkey 101 bet.

Image[/quote]

doubt it'll be PAVED, don;t drink wild turkey, will buy you a beer regardless next time I see you at SS's office. Though its gonna be a while before I can get there. Maybe snowmobile season? ha

VTtrans statement from 18 hours ago:

Barring unforeseen setbacks, the closed segments of Route 9 will reopen this weekend, while the closed segments of Route 4 will reopen next weekend. There still will be work zones and delays, and there will be patches of road that are dirt instead of asphalt. So both patience and caution need to be exercised. If you plan to use these roads when they open, leave plenty of extra time to reach your destination.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Don't know if anyone has posted this, a friend sent me this youtube of Woodstock. Lots of footage of Otttaquechee. Amazing how high the river got.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

madhatter wrote:Bump for Wild Turkey 101 bet.

doubt it'll be PAVED, don;t drink wild turkey, will buy you a beer regardless next time I see you at SS's office. Though its gonna be a while before I can get there. Maybe snowmobile season? ha

Barring unforeseen setbacks, the closed segments of Route 9 will reopen this weekend, while the closed segments of Route 4 will reopen next weekend. There still will be work zones and delays, and there will be patches of road that are dirt instead of asphalt. So both patience and caution need to be exercised. If you plan to use these roads when they open, leave plenty of extra time to reach your destination.[/quote]

OK. Revised bet:

Help the homeless: Loser pays Shortski's bar tab for the day.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Geoff wrote:
madhatter wrote:Bump for Wild Turkey 101 bet.

Barring unforeseen setbacks, the closed segments of Route 9 will reopen this weekend, while the closed segments of Route 4 will reopen next weekend. There still will be work zones and delays, and there will be patches of road that are dirt instead of asphalt. So both patience and caution need to be exercised. If you plan to use these roads when they open, leave plenty of extra time to reach your destination.
OK. Revised bet:

Help the homeless: Loser pays Shortski's bar tab for the day.[/quote]

not sure I can get a second mortgage right now... but I suppose a beer for SS was already a given anyway.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

bump
mach es sehr schnell

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Bubba wrote:People...stop with the supposition. We'll have passable roads within a few days, even if the fixes are temporary. There will be inconvenient detours and rough driving in spots but the state and feds are not going to spend the next month helicoptering food and other goods into currently isolated towns. Ski season will occur as scheduled and skiers will be able to get here. We have power on the access road and at least my part of East Mountain Rd got juice back an hour and a half ago. The world isn't coming to an end and things will be back to relative normal within a week or two.
.. 5 years later, many people's lives will never be the same :sad:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path