Powdr Sues Talisker over Park City Land Holdings

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

VermontGranola
Green Skidder

Powdr Sues Talisker over Park City Land Holdings

Post by VermontGranola »

Looks like a neighborhood dispute in Park City has boiled over!

http://www.supportpcmr.com/

Park City Mountain Resort Files Lawsuit To Protect Resort

Suit Against Canadian-Based Real Estate Developer Seeks to Preserve Jobs and Avert the Closure of the Resort

Park City, Utah (March 9, 2012) – Park City Mountain Resort today filed a lawsuit against Talisker Land Holdings, LLC. The suit seeks to resolve a dispute that threatens the future of one of the top resorts in North America and a major economic engine in Utah.

“After extensive and, sadly, unsuccessful negotiations, we reluctantly took the initiative to file this lawsuit,” said Jenni Smith, president and general manager of Park City Mountain Resort. “We need to protect the future of the company and our more than 1,200 employees, who bear a tremendous burden of uncertainty in this matter, and the many local businesses and homeowners in the Greater Park City area. We are seeking relief through the court, the only option left at our disposal.”

At issue is the continuing right to use land occupied by some of Park City Mountain Resort’s chairlifts and runs. On December 27, 2011 Talisker Land Holdings, LLC advised Park City Mountain Resort that it deemed that the Resort’s right to use the land expired, and that Park City Mountain Resort would need to vacate the premises unless the Resort entered in to a new agreement for the use of the land.

Principals of Park City Mountain Resort and Talisker met repeatedly in 2009, 2010 and 2011 to discuss multiple property transactions, business opportunities and infrastructure investments, including the future lift conncection between Park City Mountain Resort and Canyons Resort, a Talisker property. In the Summer of 2011, Park City Mountain Resort paid its annual fee for the use of the land, which was accepted by Talisker, and invested $7 million in infrastructure upgrades throughout the Resort.

“The growth and success of Park City Mountain Resort is 100 percent attributable to the investment, the hard work and dedication of our management and entire staff of 1,200 employees and more than 400 volunteers,” continued Smith. “We’re going to fight as long as it takes to keep Park City Mountain Resort locally owned and locally operated.”

According to a complaint filed in the Third Judicial District Court (Summit County), “plaintiffs sue the defendants to prevent them from interfering with the continued operation of the Resort and from attempting to shut the Resort down.”

About Park City Mountain Resort
Park City Mountain Resort, named the “#1 Family Vacation” by the editors of SKI Magazine, is located in the heart of Park City, Utah. The resort employs more than 1,200 staff and more than 400 volunteers.
Ski! Don't Walk!
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Powdr Sues Talisker over Park City Land Holdings

Post by Bubba »

I wonder if there are any lifetime passes involved. :wink:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
VermontGranola
Green Skidder

Post by VermontGranola »

Here is a great opportunity for Powdr to purchase land at the Canyons and tell Talisker to vacate the property. Regardless, more money will flow west to settle this mess.
http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_20242348/a ... up-auction
Ski! Don't Walk!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

The TGR read on this is pretty entertaining, even if the facts are murky. Couple of obvious conclusions:

1. POWDR was incredibly stupid to put significant leasehold improvements into an area where they didn't have a long term lease. Unbelievable.
2. The settlement will involve something between slightly higher lease payments by POWDR to Talisker, to outright takeover of Park City by Talisker.
3. Talisker/Canyons would benefit from a merging the two areas, since it would give them an in-town presence.
4. There isn't huge downside for Talisker regardless of how this fight turns out. Worst case, receive higher rent. For POWDR, it could be catastrophic.
5. POWDR's lease situation is actually worse than the CNL/Boyne deal; At least with CNL (the owners of SR, and the Loaf), CNL is the one making the cap-ex improvements, not Boyne. POWDR is making improvements on property they don't own.
6. If all that is done is to extend the lease out another 10 or 20 years regardless of the rate, Park City won't see another lift, or any other structure that has a long term payback. Just doesn't make fiscal sense.
7. In my opinion, the best option for POWDR is either buy the land outright from Talisker; or go into a deal where they "sell" the resort to Talisker, and lease it back from them, aka the CNL/Boyne model. However, that gets dicey because they would still be competing with their owner. Thus buying is better, and if that level of investment is an issue, they can then flip it to CNL. However, unless the deal is particularly sweet, don't see why Talisker would sell.
8. It is my guess that this is having a big impact on the other POWDR resorts. They have probably been order to cut spending to the bone. For Killington, not even turning on the fan gun at the base of Superstar during the recent cold snap was stupid. They badly needed to stockpile more snow at the base.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Isn't Killington it's own corporation with its own books protected from the parent - to protect it from this kind of issue?

That mess will go on for years..........

Powdr's UT problems will affect Killington - but I doubt it's the reason they didn't make snow -

that was Irene and the new Deck..IMO
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Talisker is going to crush POWDR. Sounds like they are making a play to interconnect all 7 resorts, making it the premier ski destination in north america. Kicking POWDR out and ticking off some of Park City is a blip compared to the long term upside.

That's what I would do at least.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

VermontGranola wrote:Here is a great opportunity for Powdr to purchase land at the Canyons and tell Talisker to vacate the property. Regardless, more money will flow west to settle this mess.
http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_20242348/a ... up-auction
Apparently at the auction yesterday for the 1000 or so acres of land that comprises some of the Canyons in question here, Talisker was the only bidder and acquired the land for the auction start point price of 50 million
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

rogman wrote:The TGR read on this is pretty entertaining, even if the facts are murky. Couple of obvious conclusions:

1. POWDR was incredibly stupid...
Many statements about Powdr start this way
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

hillbangin wrote:Isn't Killington it's own corporation with its own books protected from the parent - to protect it from this kind of issue?
No child's allowance is ever protected from the parent's decisions.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

hillbangin wrote:Isn't Killington it's own corporation with its own books protected from the parent - to protect it from this kind of issue?

That mess will go on for years..........

Powdr's UT problems will affect Killington - but I doubt it's the reason they didn't make snow -

that was Irene and the new Deck..IMO

The new deck is all the more reason to blow snow right in front and above it
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

What is the value of Park City without a valid lease? Does POWDR have outstanding loans related to the property? Could they end up owing money on a lift they no longer own or operate? I'm still baffled by the publicly available facts. If it actually goes to court, then POWDR is in trouble; it means Talisker isn't really interested in settling. Meanwhile, pass sales at Park City have probably tanked.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

So, how could this play out?

- They settle on a new lease, PCMR pays more money
- Talisker locks PCMR out of the land. PCMR sells out to Talisker.
- Talisker locks PCMR out of the land. PCMR buys out land from Talisker. (with certain interconnect provisons?)

Thoughts?
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

rogman wrote:What is the value of Park City without a valid lease? Does POWDR have outstanding loans related to the property? Could they end up owing money on a lift they no longer own or operate? I'm still baffled by the publicly available facts. If it actually goes to court, then POWDR is in trouble; it means Talisker isn't really interested in settling. Meanwhile, pass sales at Park City have probably tanked.

PCMR has been pretty conservative with lift replacement/expansion the last few years. Basically a new high speed quad a year for the last few years, a couple of snowcats here and there and some snowmaking upgrades. With a $96 dollar walkup rate ticket and a slew of texans ready and willing to pay, I gotta think that they're operating in a positive cash flow situation there. I know atleast the Tuesday early this month that I skied there with my family that there was a solid crowd there. Tough to tell if it was a bunch of day tickets or passes though as their day tickets and passes are complete RFID where you get a glorified credit card which you put in an outer pocket of your coat and when you head through the turnstile in the lift queue if your pass is valid, the turnstile opens. Or as my wife found out, if you put your day pass UNDER your cell phone, the turnstyle doesn't open and the liftie jokingly harasses you a bit :wink:
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

DrJeff wrote:
rogman wrote:What is the value of Park City without a valid lease? Does POWDR have outstanding loans related to the property? Could they end up owing money on a lift they no longer own or operate? I'm still baffled by the publicly available facts. If it actually goes to court, then POWDR is in trouble; it means Talisker isn't really interested in settling. Meanwhile, pass sales at Park City have probably tanked.

PCMR has been pretty conservative with lift replacement/expansion the last few years. Basically a new high speed quad a year for the last few years, a couple of snowcats here and there and some snowmaking upgrades. With a $96 dollar walkup rate ticket and a slew of texans ready and willing to pay, I gotta think that they're operating in a positive cash flow situation there. I know atleast the Tuesday early this month that I skied there with my family that there was a solid crowd there. Tough to tell if it was a bunch of day tickets or passes though as their day tickets and passes are complete RFID where you get a glorified credit card which you put in an outer pocket of your coat and when you head through the turnstile in the lift queue if your pass is valid, the turnstile opens. Or as my wife found out, if you put your day pass UNDER your cell phone, the turnstyle doesn't open and the liftie jokingly harasses you a bit :wink:
Didn't know that they don't have the scanning like at Killington. I wonder why? Maybe we don't want to know how many people actually get on the lift before 8:30am.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22