Powdr Corp @ Mt.Bachelor,Or

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ripzillia
Beginner On Rentals

Powdr Corp @ Mt.Bachelor,Or

Post by ripzillia »

Howdy folks,

A real shame about your ski weather(WTH). On the other side PNW Winter has finally come home(pics below). Now to the point Powdr is shutting us down early even though they sold passes on a different story last fall. Our town is mad as hell and trying to run these culls out of town oe at least give them the old :barebutt: Here's a link to our FB page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/365868710111163/
Please join our page cause I know how much you folks like Powdr. A Canadian company is putting the squeeze on them @ PCMR,Utah. TGR thread about it.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... t-Talisker

A couple of shots at the old hill.
HillRodder
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Powdr Corp @ Mt.Bachelor,Or

Post by Bubba »

Powdr....continuing to piss people off from coast to coast.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Here we go again, Killington profits diverted to Utah, for the Canyons.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

And I thought the anger in Killington towards POWDR was bad! It seems that POWDR just can't make friends anywhere!

From the Facebook page 'Community Buyout of Mt Bachelor' :

The Community Buyout of Mt Bachelor has been formed to create a discussion forum and efficient communication link between the members of the Central Oregon community that would be interested in seeing Mt Bachelor become a community owned, financially viable, not-for-profit organization that is dedicated to providing a significantly better experienc...e to local and non-local guests. By eliminating the profit motive of a corporate owner (Powdr Corporation), Mt Bachelor can be liberated to revise its operations for the benefit of its patrons and the Central Oregon community as a whole. A short list of desirable changes might include extending the snowriding season to begin earlier and end later, increasing the daily hours of operation, increasing the lift operation schedule to run ALL of the lifts that are possible, preventative lift maintenance (not disruptive "break-fix"), improving the quality of the food & beverage services, adding summer activities such as lift served downhill mountain biking, major concerts and festivals, and adding other amenities and programs that would help to make Mt Bachelor a truly extraordinary destination. The possibilities are endless. We can re-invent Mt Bachelor!!

Since the time that Powdr Corporation acquired Mt Bachelor, locals have complained about a systematic reduction and degradation of mountain operations and services, the obvious purpose of which has been to reduce expenses in order to improve profits for Powdr Corporation's owners.

If Mt Bachelor were community owned, operating priorities would strive to balance financial viability with the best interests of the season pass holders, day pass holders and the Central Oregon community. Success would be redefined from profits to STOKE!!!
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

RENO wrote:And I thought the anger in Killington towards POWDR was bad! It seems that POWDR just can't make friends anywhere!

Since the time that Powdr Corporation acquired Mt Bachelor, locals have complained about a systematic reduction and degradation of mountain operations and services, the obvious purpose of which has been to reduce expenses in order to improve profits for Powdr Corporation's owners.

If Mt Bachelor were community owned, operating priorities would strive to balance financial viability with the best interests of the season pass holders, day pass holders and the Central Oregon community. Success would be redefined from profits to STOKE!!!
so this is POWDRs MO out west too...at least they arent just killing us...
HelmetCam
Postaholic

Post by HelmetCam »

RENO wrote:Success would be redefined from profits to STOKE!!!
Ooooh! To whom do I write the check??
tt431
Post Office

Post by tt431 »

Please no complaints about Powdr Corp @ Mt.Bachelor here. They're taking their profit and invest it in Killington. :lol:
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

So when are they planning to close? I didn't find anything about it on their website...
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Pissing
Off
Worldly
Dwellers
Readily

Puking
Out
Wrong
Decisions
Repeatedly

Plenty
Of
Whacked-out
Dumb
Rationale

People
Only
Want
Decisions
Revisited

Please
Overturn
What's
Difficultly
Received
ImageImageImageImage
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

I got stuck on a 4 1/2 hour conference call starting at midnight last night and had some spare time to dig around the whole POWDR history.

Ian Cumming is a gajillionaire Salt Lake City financial guy who is now age 70. He's Chairman of the Board of Leucadia National Corporation (lumber) and Finova Group (a failed commercial finance company Cumming and Warren Buffett own half of and are liquidating). Forbes has him as the 897th richest person in the world. To put this in perspective, the 400th person on the Forbes 400 list, Roger Wang, is worth $1.3 billion. Ian Cumming is probably worth something approaching a billion dollars.

Here is what Forbes wrote in 2001:
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2001/0416/064.html
Few can match wits with corporate bottom feeder Ian Cumming when it comes to wringing money out of white elephants. The media-shy head of Leucadia National did it with insurer Colonial Penn and Sperry & Hutchinson of S&H Green Stamps fame, and now is at work on a $6 billion bailout of ailing Finova Group.

But Powdr Corp., the undervoweled outfit owned by Cumming and his sons John and David, got more than it bargained for when it bid on a remote Oregon ski resort.
In digging around, I found some information that leads me to believe that John Cumming did not "found Mountain Hardwear" in 1993 when he was in his early 20's. He simply got daddy to pony up angel venture capital money for his buddies who were actually doing the company back in 1993. When you're filthy rich, I guess it's easy to get credit for other people's labor.

My take is that daddy bought some ski resorts out of pocket change to give his son something to do.

It makes the completely arbitrary management direction out of Utah make more sense. I'm sure daddy has a bean counter ensconced in Park City to keep his dilettante son from going too far astray. If your family worth is a billion dollars, you really don't care if your arbitrary decisions impact the lives of people living in some small Vermont town or the loyal customers of the business they bought 2000 miles away. The whole thing could fail and you're still going to wake up the next morning rich.
ripzillia
Beginner On Rentals

Post by ripzillia »

From their website-Mt. Bachelor is planning to remain open daily through Sunday, April 29th, and Thursdays-Sundays in May through the scheduled closing date of Sunday, May 27th.

Normally Mt.Bachelor is open 7 days a week till May 27. Also are cutting hours in April to half days AM and shutting down lifts. If you are going to sell a season pass as advertised till the end of May then change the schedule at the end is lame at best. Maybe Talisker sticking it to Powdr is karma. Now on a positive note.
HillRodder
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

Geoff wrote:I got stuck on a 4 1/2 hour conference call starting at midnight last night and had some spare time to dig around the whole POWDR history.

Ian Cumming is a gajillionaire Salt Lake City financial guy who is now age 70. He's Chairman of the Board of Leucadia National Corporation (lumber) and Finova Group (a failed commercial finance company Cumming and Warren Buffett own half of and are liquidating). Forbes has him as the 897th richest person in the world. To put this in perspective, the 400th person on the Forbes 400 list, Roger Wang, is worth $1.3 billion. Ian Cumming is probably worth something approaching a billion dollars.

Few can match wits with corporate bottom feeder Ian Cumming when it comes to wringing money out of white elephants. The media-shy head of Leucadia National did it with insurer Colonial Penn and Sperry & Hutchinson of S&H Green Stamps fame, and now is at work on a $6 billion bailout of ailing Finova Group.

But Powdr Corp., the undervoweled outfit owned by Cumming and his sons John and David, got more than it bargained for when it bid on a remote Oregon ski resort.
In digging around, I found some information that leads me to believe that John Cumming did not "found Mountain Hardwear" in 1993 when he was in his early 20's. He simply got daddy to pony up angel venture capital money for his buddies who were actually doing the company back in 1993. When you're filthy rich, I guess it's easy to get credit for other people's labor.

My take is that daddy bought some ski resorts out of pocket change to give his son something to do.

It makes the completely arbitrary management direction out of Utah make more sense. I'm sure daddy has a bean counter ensconced in Park City to keep his dilettante son from going too far astray. If your family worth is a billion dollars, you really don't care if your arbitrary decisions impact the lives of people living in some small Vermont town or the loyal customers of the business they bought 2000 miles away. The whole thing could fail and you're still going to wake up the next morning rich.
Sigh...
"Default on aug 3rd just like clown lips said."
-- Racist Maddie, finally revealing himself as the hateful racist that he really is

"The rest of your post is something my pathetic little mind can't even remotely fathom."
-- Racist Maddie: uncut, uncensored, unedited and unhinged

"when is JG gonna figure out that since i OWN HIM, there is no need to respond to him"
-- tellitlikeheiwishesitwas, stumbling into a new way to handle being publicly called out for lying: a clumsy duck and weave with a dollop of self-delusion

"blah blah Okemo is awesome blah"
-- SkippyShill, in an accidental moment of misplaced clarity

"Go f*** yourself."
-- StreetSkippy, who be hatin' on tha haters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

JerseyGuy wrote:
Geoff wrote:I got stuck on a 4 1/2 hour conference call starting at midnight last night and had some spare time to dig around the whole POWDR history.

Sigh...
I thought this was all well known already...?
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Hmm, post a longer season and then cut back with excellent snow conditions. Find the posts and sales information and BOOM, class action suit for false advertising. Could be interesting if the locals get serious.

Unfortunately, it does nothing for we at Killington. Their MO is "conditions permitting" and right now that is diminishing rapidly. :cry:
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
ripzillia
Beginner On Rentals

Post by ripzillia »

Hir Dr.NO 8)

Powdr has their azz covered in the season pass agreement.
HillRodder