3/22/12 Report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

GSKI
Powderhound

3/22/12 Report

Post by GSKI »

Skied 6 runs on OL and 1 run on Wildfire. Very thin in the top of OL some walking required but well worth it. The spring bumps are goooood on the entire run. Wildfire and Bear Claw have very thin sections and probably wont make it. Not a lot of snow to farm but they do have a cat at the top of OL. Maybe when the temps cool off over the next few days they will push some around. Tomorrow should be a great day to park at Bear and ski OL then tailgate.
From K Conditions page:

March 22, 2012
Sunshine, again for Friday? We’ll take it! Skiers and riders will be making turns in spring conditions on advanced terrain only down Bear Mountain and Skye Peak.

Walking is required to access some terrain and there is no beginner terrain available. Additionally spring conditions exist, they can change rapidly and create unpredictable surfaces, so please pay close attention when you're out on the trails and check back often for updates.

We will be spinning the Bear Mountain Quad and Superstar Express Quad. Please note the unseasonably warm temperatures this week have caused our snow pack to melt faster than we hoped and although we’re skiing and riding down two peaks, they are both isolated.

So, if you’re interested in skiing or riding on the isle of Bear Mountain and you want to return to K-1, simply hop on a shuttle – they’ll be going back and forth from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.

The lower portion of The Stash and the Under Armour MTN Dream Maker Terrain Park are open at Bear Mountain.

The K-1and Bear Lodges will be open. Private Snow Sports School lessons will be available for intermediate and above skiers and riders out of the K-1 Lodge.

Key lifts are scheduled to be open from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Lift tickets will be $59 for Adults (19-64), $50 for Young Adults/Seniors (13-18/65+) and $41 for Juniors.
KV
Bumper

Re: 3/22/12 Report

Post by KV »

As for the Superstar side the bumps were a bit firm early but softened nicely as the day went on. Bittersweet is done, there are two sections that are down to a few feet wide with no snow to farm. Skylark and Superstar still have good cover but there are rocks poking out of both here and there. With the cooler temps forecast these two MAY make it another week or two. Great day, but it felt like the old days skiing in June not March that's for sure.

Stick a fork in her, she's done.
Phantom
Slalom Racer

Post by Phantom »

The mountain is in excellent condition for May 22.
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Got here at 1:30, 75 degrees on Aspen East sign.

Okemo

Killington, of course

Lower Skylark

Superstar from the headwall

Lower Supe

Check this guys poles.....

Ubar view. Mr G said they ripped the canvass on the big one.

Outfit of the day.

Superstar and Skylark are solid. A little sketchy on the traverse to Skylark, but there's plenty of snow to fix that. Lots of rumors flying. When in doubt, ski it out.
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

nuts

coverage was deeper in late April the past few seasons. I'd be shocked if Supe makes it to Easter. :sad:
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Forgot to mention that as warm as it was, there was no running water on any slope I skied, anywhere. That surprised me.