Wildcat Mountain closing......too cold to ski

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Wildcat Mountain closing......too cold to ski

Post by Bubba »

I skied at -30 F at Grey Rocks, as long as you were dressed properly, you could deal with it. Check for frostbite on every chair lift ride just to make sure but as long as you're covered up, you're OK. Can't say I loved it but I did it. The clock in my car froze to death overnight, however, at -35 F. Flash freezing condensation killed the analog clock in my Datsun 710 but, other than that, everything was fine.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

I skied Killington half a dozen years or so or more at -29 with 50 mph winds. We were way overdressed and had to come in to Bear lodge to take off layers. Brian had major goggle fog/freeze problems and attempted to remove his goggles to ski. His eyelids froze shut from his eyes tearing (lashes freezing together on each other). Once we rectified that situation, skiing was fairly comfortable. There was no one out there, so we rode a lot of gondi's that day. The snow squeaked like styrofoam, and snowmaking sluff chased you down the hill like fresh powder.
ImageImageImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

So...-12F this morning at my house when I woke up. It had warmed to a balmy -11F as of 15 minutes ago. The dog was quick when I let her out the back. Obviously smarter than some skiers. :lol:

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Bubba wrote:So...-12F this morning at my house when I woke up. It had warmed to a balmy -11F as of 15 minutes ago. The dog was quick when I let her out the back. Obviously smarter than some skiers. :lol:

Hey I'll ski in that weather, but there's no way I'd whip it out to take a leak...
ImageImageImageImage
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

coldest for me was around -25. a sunny windless day. we started at bear and was reasonably comfortable. to us the wind is the deal breaker. had other days where temp was around zero but was windy and couldn't do more than a couple runs w/o having to go in to warmup. have a number of facial discolorations due to frostbite which i'm now very prone to because my skin so damaged. masks don't work for me because with glasses under goggles, i just fog/freeze up.

btw, this morning in the city, lots of transit delays on metro north, lirr & the subways due to frozen switches etc so guess i can understand lifts not working either.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

skiadikt wrote:coldest for me was around -25. a sunny windless day. we started at bear and was reasonably comfortable. to us the wind is the deal breaker. had other days where temp was around zero but was windy and couldn't do more than a couple runs w/o having to go in to warmup. have a number of facial discolorations due to frostbite which i'm now very prone to because my skin so damaged. masks don't work for me because with glasses under goggles, i just fog/freeze up.

btw, this morning in the city, lots of transit delays on metro north, lirr & the subways due to frozen switches etc so guess i can understand lifts not working either.
One of the best investments I ever made was finally buying prescription ski goggles. This is the one I currently use:
http://www.ski-prescription.com/product ... 20&catid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They look a little goofy, but much more comfortable and less prone to fog than wearing glasses under regular goggles. They work great with my ski mask.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Wildcat doesn't have any on mountain housing, they rely entirely on day trippers. Makes sense to close. Like others, I've skied in 20 below, and would do so again. However, 20 below with a 20 knot wind? No thanks. Huge difference.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Out from 9 AM till about 3 with a short AM braek and an hour at lunch. Wind was blowing, just cover everything up. Toes were what got to me even with boot heaters and boot gloves. -4 at Brendas Place now.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Don't know how cold it's going to get tonight bit it's -12F right now.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Woke up to -12 at Brenda's place at 7 AM. Rare 7 AM Phantom siting, he checked the temperature and headed back to bed.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Big Bob wrote:Woke up to -12 at Brenda's place at 7 AM. Rare 7 AM Phantom siting, he checked the temperature and headed back to bed.
Did he see his shadow?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

-14 F when I got up at 7:00 AM. -13 around 8:00 when I let the dog out. She was even quicker this morning than yesterday. :lol:

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Watching the Weather Channel and waiting for that airport thermometer to rise above -9. Forecast for Rutland tonight is -16. My furnace is working OT and starting to lose. Hope it warms up a few degrees during the day.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

-6 at my house, 2.5 hours south. Truck was slow to turn over, and sluggish on the steering on my way to work. At least the wind aint blowin'!
ImageImageImageImage
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

then next tues/wed comes. doesn't look good ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore