Wildcat Mountain closing......too cold to ski

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

OlympiaGirl
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Wildcat Mountain closing......too cold to ski

Post by OlympiaGirl »

I want to try and tough it out and ski this weekend - any tips for keeping feet extra warm?
Last edited by OlympiaGirl on Jan 24th, '13, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
All you've got to do is go that way, really really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

OlympiaGirl wrote:I want to try and tough it out and ski this weekend - and tips for keeping feet extra warm?
:shock: You make this just too easy.....................must........resist........
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
OlympiaGirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by OlympiaGirl »

Bubba wrote:
OlympiaGirl wrote:I want to try and tough it out and ski this weekend - and tips for keeping feet extra warm?
:shock: You make this just too easy.....................must........resist........
Sigh. I walked myself into that one.
All you've got to do is go that way, really really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Gr ... 1b2166becc

Disposable foot warmers go inside your ski boot.

ImageImageImageImage
OlympiaGirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by OlympiaGirl »

Stormchaser wrote:http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Gr ... 1b2166becc

:like
Never saw the kind that covers the whole foot - that's awesome!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Boot gloves. Affordable and lots of people use them. Once you get your new boots ask about a heated footbed - more pricey though. This weekend just accept you need to go in every few runs.

I find my feet are warmer when I ski harder. Get your blood pumping. On a good bump or powder day my feet never get cold, they actually have excess warmth, although the very tips of the toes do stay cool on the colder days. If it's below zero and a flat groomer day I'll put in a pair of those charcoal warmers pictured above. About $5 each in a ski shop, and work great. You do need to loosen your buckles every once in a while, flex deeply, and pump some air in to keep the chemical reaction going. Highly recommended.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

OlympiaGirl wrote:

Now how much is my tip for keeping your feet warm? I mean, since you offered...
ImageImageImageImage
OlympiaGirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by OlympiaGirl »

Stormchaser wrote:
OlympiaGirl wrote:

Now how much is my tip for keeping your feet warm? I mean, since you offered...
A sincere thank you?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

OlympiaGirl wrote:
Bubba wrote:
Sigh. I walked myself into that one.
LOL...I wouldn't call it "walked". What you did was run headlong into it with no regard for speed. :mrgreen:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Mister Moose wrote:Boot gloves. Affordable and lots of people use them. Once you get your new boots ask about a heated footbed - more pricey though. This weekend just accept you need to go in every few runs.

I find my feet are warmer when I ski harder. Get your blood pumping. On a good bump or powder day my feet never get cold, they actually have excess warmth, although the very tips of the toes do stay cool on the colder days. If it's below zero and a flat groomer day I'll put in a pair of those charcoal warmers pictured above. About $5 each in a ski shop, and work great. You do need to loosen your buckles every once in a while, flex deeply, and pump some air in to keep the chemical reaction going. Highly recommended.
One caveat with the boot gloves. The bottom strap is a simple nylon web and WILL wear out if left on and you walk in the boots on hard surfaces. Try to put them on and take them off just before and after skiing. I am one of those who has boots that leak a bit of water, so I use them as well as duct tape. Find the boot gloves do keep the feet warmer too.

And yes OlympiaGirl, you cliff dove into that one! :ani_smiles:
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

I've used these http://www.docortho.com/superfeet-premi ... edhot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and never had a problem . I'm sure they make them for little feet too. .
OlympiaGirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by OlympiaGirl »

Thanks all. I think for this weekend full foot Warmers and periodic breaks to warm up are the way to go.

If only I could ski as fast as I seem to run into these accidental comments...
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

OlympiaGirl wrote:Thanks all. I think for this weekend full foot Warmers and periodic breaks to warm up are the way to go.

Its just the cold slowing your brain. Maybe some hot coffee. Also, the boot gloves are not that expensive, and most ski shops carry them.

Warmers inside, ski faster, add boot gloves, and take a break if the boots are cold.

Added question, do you have circulation issues? I have one daughter whose feet get cold on 30+ degree days from poor circulation. The best answer for her is to loosen the buckles when in line and on lifts so the blood can flow better.
OlympiaGirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by OlympiaGirl »

Dickc wrote:
OlympiaGirl wrote:Thanks all. I think for this weekend full foot Warmers and periodic breaks to warm up are the way to go.

Its just the cold slowing your brain. Maybe some hot coffee. Also, the boot gloves are not that expensive, and most ski shops carry them.

Warmers inside, ski faster, add boot gloves, and take a break if the boots are cold.

Added question, do you have circulation issues? I have one daughter whose feet get cold on 30+ degree days from poor circulation. The best answer for her is to loosen the buckles when in line and on lifts so the blood can flow better.
I honestly don't know. I think the problem is that my current boots are too loose for my skiing style now, so to compensate I make them very tight, cut off my circulation and get cold feet. So I don't think I have circulation problems generally, but I am causing myself to have that problem. And frankly I hate being the big baby who has to go in every few runs because she's cold.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

My wife uses toastie toes. They are smaller than the "foot warmers" shown above.

Don't follow the instructions though. Attached the warmer to the top of your toes, or it will cause your socks to bunch up in the bottom of your boots.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs