Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Dickc
Postaholic

Re: Wildcat Mountain closing......too cold to ski

Post by Dickc »

OlympiaGirl wrote:
Dickc wrote:
OlympiaGirl wrote:Thanks all. I think for this weekend full foot Warmers and periodic breaks to warm up are the way to go.

If only I could ski as fast as I seem to run into these accidental comments...
Its just the cold slowing your brain. Maybe some hot coffee. Also, the boot gloves are not that expensive, and most ski shops carry them.

Warmers inside, ski faster, add boot gloves, and take a break if the boots are cold.

Added question, do you have circulation issues? I have one daughter whose feet get cold on 30+ degree days from poor circulation. The best answer for her is to loosen the buckles when in line and on lifts so the blood can flow better.
I honestly don't know. I think the problem is that my current boots are too loose for my skiing style now, so to compensate I make them very tight, cut off my circulation and get cold feet. So I don't think I have circulation problems generally, but I am causing myself to have that problem. And frankly I hate being the big baby who has to go in every few runs because she's cold.
If you have had them any length of time they could be getting packed out. When a boot gets packed out it loses its ability to have a bit of cushion. You tighten it a bit to get the right feel, but then you get numb/cold feet. Try loosening the boot between runs for the weekend.

See a good boot seller. (Look for threads on boot fitters here) A good boot seller/fitter can tell you if they are packed out, or just the wrong boot for what you are trying to do. Attempting to save a few bucks by getting junior boots might just keep giving you the same trouble. At least check into them at a shop. Looking is free (as you noted with us!) :mrgreen:
OlympiaGirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by OlympiaGirl »

Dickc wrote:
OlympiaGirl wrote:
Dickc wrote:
OlympiaGirl wrote:Thanks all. I think for this weekend full foot Warmers and periodic breaks to warm up are the way to go.

If only I could ski as fast as I seem to run into these accidental comments...
Its just the cold slowing your brain. Maybe some hot coffee. Also, the boot gloves are not that expensive, and most ski shops carry them.

Warmers inside, ski faster, add boot gloves, and take a break if the boots are cold.

Added question, do you have circulation issues? I have one daughter whose feet get cold on 30+ degree days from poor circulation. The best answer for her is to loosen the buckles when in line and on lifts so the blood can flow better.
I honestly don't know. I think the problem is that my current boots are too loose for my skiing style now, so to compensate I make them very tight, cut off my circulation and get cold feet. So I don't think I have circulation problems generally, but I am causing myself to have that problem. And frankly I hate being the big baby who has to go in every few runs because she's cold.
If you have had them any length of time they could be getting packed out. When a boot gets packed out it loses its ability to have a bit of cushion. You tighten it a bit to get the right feel, but then you get numb/cold feet. Try loosening the boot between runs for the weekend.

See a good boot seller. (Look for threads on boot fitters here) A good boot seller/fitter can tell you if they are packed out, or just the wrong boot for what you are trying to do. Attempting to save a few bucks by getting junior boots might just keep giving you the same trouble. At least check into them at a shop. Looking is free (as you noted with us!) :mrgreen:
I got the boots in 08 and have put in about 150 days on them, mostly in the last 3 years. They were a poor fit when I got them, but at the time I didn't know better, and I had them blown out twice in the first year. I think they have just reached their lifespan.
I think the junior boots are the way to go, but I wish there was a way to demo them before I splurge.
All you've got to do is go that way, really really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

OlympiaGirl wrote: I got the boots in 08 and have put in about 150 days on them, mostly in the last 3 years. They were a poor fit when I got them, but at the time I didn't know better, and I had them blown out twice in the first year. I think they have just reached their lifespan.
I think the junior boots are the way to go, but I wish there was a way to demo them before I splurge.
Don't ever buy boots anywhere but at a good bootfitting shop. Basin, Aspen East, Northern or Peak all can do the job very well for you.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

150 days is very much reaching the lifespan of boots, especially if you have been having fit problems. Look over the site for the boot fitter threads, and pick a shop. Go in and talk with them. They can tell you if a junior boot will work or not. They can also fit you properly. I just had my daughter in law fitted for new boots. It took 6 pairs of boots to find the one that had the best initial fit. That was the better part of an hour and a half. It them took the boot fitter another hour and a half to tweak out the boots so that the toes did not have tight spots. A good boot fitter will have that type of patience, and the customer must be ready for it to take a while too.

Boots are the interface between you and the ski. Take a winning formula one race car and put it on a freshly paved track. The put Ford Model T tires on it. It will not do well. Boots are IMPORTANT. You ski a lot, so I'm sure you either use a season pass or a discount card of some type. Most of the really good boots will cost you less than you pay for a season of skiing. You may not need the absolute best, but they need to fit right, and be of the caliber to do the type of skiing you do. Spend the time with the boot fitter to find those boots. You will be glad you did.
Last edited by Dickc on Jan 24th, '13, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
tt431
Post Office

Post by tt431 »

OlympiaGirl wrote: I got the boots in 08 and have put in about 150 days on them, mostly in the last 3 years. They were a poor fit when I got them, but at the time I didn't know better, and I had them blown out twice in the first year. I think they have just reached their lifespan.
Hey Olympia. My advise as others have mentioned go to a boot fitter. Even if you spend a little more now, you won't regret it. My wife got her boots recently at Northen Ski Works and she's super happy, Hal is an excellent boot fitter. He takes the time with the clients and if you have problems with the boots you can always go back and readjust and hey are not really very expensive either. Boots are the most important piece of equipment so don't get any ski clothes yet, boots first. :mrgreen: Seriously, go to good boot fitter.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

This thread started out about Wildcat closing and now has morphed to a ski boot fitting, chick pickup thread, Nothing has changed on K Zone!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Big Bob wrote:This thread started out about Wildcat closing and now has morphed to a ski boot fitting, chick pickup thread, Nothing has changed on K Zone!
Been a while since we have had a discourse on what each thread is really about!
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

Junior race boots should be easy to rent/demo. The shops down here by me rent them out seasonally to the growing racers. In fact my son is skiing a rented pair of those blue Langes this season.

Quality adult boots are much harder to rent/demo.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

COFFEE IS BAD so don't drink too much on breaks to warm up! It opens the capillaries which draws heat from your body.

150 days? boots are packed out and will not provide comfort or warmth.

Toe warmers work, try them.

If you still have problems with cold feet, when you get your new kiddy boots, get heaters. DO NOT ADD SOCK LAYERS. This restricts you in the boot making you colder, usually.

Try some cayenne pepper on your toes and feet. Pepper helps circulation. Just remember not to touch other body parts until you wash hands.

As for Wildcat, someone told me actual temp there the other day hit -46 then add the Mt Washington wind factor. One COLD day.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Big Bob wrote:This thread started out about Wildcat closing and now has morphed to a ski boot fitting, chick pickup thread, Nothing has changed on K Zone!
I always appreciate a deftly executed hijack. And seriously, who really gave a sh*t about Wildcat anyway? I ski there occasionally, and I don't even care.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote: And seriously, who really gave a sh*t about Wildcat anyway? I ski there occasionally, and I don't even care.
Right. As opposed to Ragged, which as we know is very important.
BigAirSkier1580
Bumper

Post by BigAirSkier1580 »

Usually if your fingers and toes are cold, you are not adequately keeping your core warm enough. If your core temperature is not being maintained your body redirects bloodflow from your hands and feet, this is the cold you are feeling.

I skied a total of 12 hours the past two days and never once experienced cold toes or fingers and was actually frequently sweating as I kept my core very warm. Ski terrain that gets you working too. Super cold days are not great for lazy cruisers.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

BigAirSkier1580 wrote:Usually if your fingers and toes are cold, you are not adequately keeping your core warm enough. If your core temperature is not being maintained your body redirects bloodflow from your hands and feet, this is the cold you are feeling.

I skied a total of 12 hours the past two days and never once experienced cold toes or fingers and was actually frequently sweating as I kept my core very warm. Ski terrain that gets you working too. Super cold days are not great for lazy cruisers.
If ur cold, ur not skiing hard enough. Ski with more effort. More turns. Bumps. Fall down repeatedly. Carry ur ski partner.

If none of that works , try the hot tub.
ImageImageImageImage
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Olympia's butt, oops I mean boot is packed out.