Science Rant, Not politics: Can CO2 cause "Climate Change?"

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Science Rant, Not politics: Can CO2 cause "Climate Chang

Post by deadheadskier »

For Madhatter and Moose because you have very strong opinions on lawn tools / power equipment.

http://outdoorpowerequipment.com/2017/0 ... ts-part-i/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am sure you will both love the pro Trump stance most of these guys have due to expecting fewer regulations and a more business friendly environment.

However, aren't most of these guys pounding the drum on electric being the direction of the future / their companies?

Moose, your observation was electric lawnmowers are an unwanted technology that you can't even find at a Home Depot. See a prior post of mine on that.

Eddie, what's going on here? All these companies just trying to leverage subsidies?

I don't know fellas, but when it comes to future power, all these consumer power equipment and many car companies keep saying electric, electric, electric.

All these pro Trump dudes still being duped by the anti fossil fuel propaganda?

Probably all just a fad and botched forecast like Madhatter's shared article about the ill fated New Coke and McDonald's Arch Deluxe.

BJOERN FISCHER
PRESIDENT
STIHL INC.
(VIRGINIA BEACH, VA.)

"New products reflecting consumer demands that rely on battery rather than fuel power are emerging at a relentless pace across numerous product categories"

Thought nobody wants this stuff?
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Bubba wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:Yeah, I'm done. Just had a nice FaceTime conversation with my parents in Florida so they could see their grandson. I don't use the technology all the time, but it sure is nice to have for our once weekly family call. Think it was mentioned in a recent page of this thread that such technology isn't being widely adopted. Guess my family are outliers.
You're not outliers. We're closer to Luddites than techies and we use FaceTime almost every week for the same reason. We do a group call with kids and grandkids, especially if we haven't seen them in person for a while.
It's incredible technology. My folks make it North about three times a year and us south to Florida once a year. Our two year old son would basically forget who his grandparents are if not for FaceTime.

Last year my uncle passed away from cancer. My cousin works for Barclays in Singapore. During the last year of his dad's fight, he was able to FaceTime with him every day to be close to him. I expect that will be my own experience with my parents when their time is up.

Very powerful and meaningful technology that likely gets used more frequently by people as time marches on.
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

Post by Sgt Eddy Brewers »

deadheadskier wrote:
Bubba wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:Yeah, I'm done. Just had a nice FaceTime conversation with my parents in Florida so they could see their grandson. I don't use the technology all the time, but it sure is nice to have for our once weekly family call. Think it was mentioned in a recent page of this thread that such technology isn't being widely adopted. Guess my family are outliers.
You're not outliers. We're closer to Luddites than techies and we use FaceTime almost every week for the same reason. We do a group call with kids and grandkids, especially if we haven't seen them in person for a while.
It's incredible technology. My folks make it North about three times a year and us south to Florida once a year. Our two year old son would basically forget who his grandparents are if not for FaceTime.

Last year my uncle passed away from cancer. My cousin works for Barclays in Singapore. During the last year of his dad's fight, he was able to FaceTime with him every day to be close to him. I expect that will be my own experience with my parents when their time is up.

Very powerful and meaningful technology that likely gets used more frequently by people as time marches on.
You keep pushing this nonsense narrative that anyone that even objects to certain (sorta ludicrous) details of your posts has technology issues. Somehow it cannot penetrate your brain that the counter claims here are exactly what they say they are: objections about specific details from your claims which do not seem to be well supported and may well be closer to optimistic fantasy than reasonable conjecture.

Again, one more time, I truly hope you are right and these AMAZING breakthroughs in transportation happen any day now!!

OOOOPS! Should have quoted previous post in my response. Sorry.
Ski the edges!
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:
Bubba wrote:

You keep pushing this nonsense narrative that anyone that even objects to certain (sorta ludicrous) details of your posts has technology issues. Somehow it cannot penetrate your brain that the counter claims here are exactly what they say they are: objections about specific details from your claims which do not seem to be well supported and may well be closer to optimistic fantasy than reasonable conjecture.

Again, one more time, I truly hope you are right and these AMAZING breakthroughs in transportation happen any day now!!

So the thoughts, observations and plans of the top executives in the OPE industry maybe closer to optimistic fantasy than reasonable conjecture?

Do you think I'm foolish for believing them over you, hatter and Moose, Eddie?

These guys all suckers for propaganda and sucking on subsidy tits like Musk?
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Best summertime thread on the Kzone ever. Bored skiers trying to grasp the direction of our ever changing world. Love to try to guess the outcome by investing my money in companies that will be competitive in the future. My car and oil stocks appear to be dogs but they are returning great dividends. Many investors are pulling away from the old fossil based giants as growth is on the wane. Picking winners in our fast paced world is my goal.

On the subject of the power grid our long term planners have been dealing with shrinking power growth with behind the meter solar the main driver. My company is building a 10 million data center trying to get a handle on the rapidly developing weather dependent power sources. We need to be able to forecast the effects of sun, wind and r*in on the power grid on a real time basis. The plan is to use a very powerful weather model tool paired with the brain of IBM’s Watson to generate a multi dimensional forecasted picture. They really believe it will be competitive tool that can be marketed. Call me a skeptic as over the years I have watched the government allow the utilities to recover all costs associated with such endeavors from the ratepayers as long the plan is in lock step with the central planners goals. Economic success is secondary in a system that rewards non economic milestones. For the foreseeable future there is plenty of power to charge all the EV’s produced. This new area of load growth is good for the power grid and adds to my job security.

On Saturday I head to Haddam Neck Connecticut to celebrate 50 years since the Connecticut Yankee Nuclear Plant first generated power in July of 1967. The power plant that I worked at and loved was shutdown in July of 1996 after just 29 years of operation. Being an licensed reactor operator I strongly felt the plant was safer the day they shut it down then the day it first produced power. On a fuel cost basis alone my beloved power plant made kilowatts that was too cheap to meter. The basic design limitation of being able to pump water into “The Beast” to keep the core from melting down proved too great a challenge. My fellow co-workers and I will gather one last time to celebrate a by gone era.

Call me an optimist as I see new technology radically changing the way our society will be living in 20 years. Not willing to commit to DHS’s vision of electric utopia. Central planners always seem to come up short when guessing the future. Market forces have and will continue to drive this great nation. That one thing I have always found to be true. Electric vehicles are the Beta Max government backed winner for now. I am waiting for the VHS solution to come along as the better choice.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:
Bubba wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:Yeah, I'm done. Just had a nice FaceTime conversation with my parents in Florida so they could see their grandson. I don't use the technology all the time, but it sure is nice to have for our once weekly family call. Think it was mentioned in a recent page of this thread that such technology isn't being widely adopted. Guess my family are outliers.I'm gonna guess you either can;t read or yer , guess it could be both though...
It's incredible technology. My folks make it North about three times a year and us south to Florida once a year. Our two year old son would basically forget who his grandparents are if not for FaceTime.he's TWO he has almost no idea who anyone is at least he;s got a dad who's on par intellectually anyway...

yep that prediction ( made in 1970) which BTW was almost FIFTY YEARS AGO was for 1980 and EVERY household would have it...here we are nearly 4 decades after the predicted date and 5 decades after the prediction itself was made...and it's not even close to having replaced the telephone in every house as the primary source of communication...kinda puts the DHS car fantasy in perspective...:beat :roll:

but speaking of technology not being widely adopted:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we're up to ZERO electric cars now.... :shock:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

I am not sure that when the video phone prediction came out they actually expected the technology to surpass the video phone capability as rapidly as it did. So I am not sure you can say that was a bad prediction. If anything it was an under prediction. A lot of people have replaced landlines entirely with smart phones. We have. Most people I know have. Other than for business I can't remember the last land line I called. Smart phones are of course video phones too. We just don't call it that because they do so much more.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Woodsrider wrote:I am not sure that when the video phone prediction came out they actually expected the technology to surpass the video phone capability as rapidlyrapidly? as moose said the technology was unveiled in 64 and in 1970 it was expected to be in every home by 1980... as it did. So I am not sure you can say that was a bad prediction. I didn't, the point was that the technology never caught on in the way they predicted or in anything even close to on that timeline...the concept really only gained ground with the advent of the smartphone cuz as you said it does so much more than just that....no one wIf anything it was an under prediction. A lot of people have replaced landlines entirely with smart phones. We have. not everyone can, but for most people that makes sense, but be sure to note the lag time between when cellphones became relatively common ( 90's) to when you actually replaced your landline with one ( recently I assume?)Most people I know have. Other than for business I can't remember the last land line I called. Smart phones are of course video phones too. We just don't call it that because they do so much more.
who had one in 1980? 1990? 2000?

I just installed a landline here two years ago because the cell service sux at my house...it's also my best option for internet ( DSL)...

turns out it may have been around just a tad longer than I thought... :!:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_videotelephony" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barely two years after the telephone was first patented in the United States in 1876 by Dr.[citation needed] Alexander Graham Bell, an early concept of a combined videophone and wide-screen television called a telephonoscope was conceptualized in the popular periodicals of the day.
Bell went on to later predict that: "...the day would come when the man at the telephone would be able to see the distant person to whom he was speaking."[14][15] The discoveries in physics, chemistry and materials science underlying video technology would not be in place until the mid-1920s, first being utilized in electromechanical television. More practical 'all-electronic' video and television would not emerge until 1939, but would then suffer several more years of delays before gaining popularity due to the onset and effects of World War II.
By 1930, AT&T's 'two-way television-telephone' system was in full-scale experimental use.[7][20] The Bell Labs' Manhattan facility devoted years of research to it during the 1930s, led by Dr. Herbert Ives along with his team of more than 200 scientists, engineers and technicians, intending to develop it for both telecommunication and broadcast entertainment purposes.[8][25]
In early 1936 the world's first public video telephone service, Germany's Gegensehn-Fernsprechanlagen (visual telephone system), was developed by Dr. Georg Schubert, who headed the development department at the Fernseh-AG, a technical combine for television broadcasting technology.[27] It was opened by the German Reichspost (post office) between Berlin and Leipzig, utilizing broadband coaxial cable to cover the distance of approximately 160 km (100 miles).
The more advanced Picturephone Mod I's early promotion included public evaluation displays at Disneyland and the 1964 New York World's Fair, with the first transcontinental videocall between the two venues made on April 20, 1964.[43][44]
At the time of its first launch, AT&T foresaw a hundred thousand Picturephones in use across the Bell System by 1975 . However, by the end of July 1974, only five Picturephones were being leased in Pittsburgh, and U.S.-wide there were only a few hundred, mostly in Chicago.[41] Unrelated difficulties at New York Telephone also slowed AT&T's efforts, and few customers signed up for the service in either city. At its peak Picturephone service had only about 500 subscribers, with the service fading away through the 1970s.
last post inthe wiki---I'm sure we all are fairly up to date on what's transpired since then...
Significant improvements in video call quality of service for the deaf occurred in the United States in 2003 when Sorenson Media Inc. (formerly Sorenson Vision), a video compression software coding company, developed its VP-100 model stand-alone videophone specifically for the deaf community. It was designed to output its video to the user's television in order to lower the cost of acquisition, and to offer remote control and a powerful video compression codec for unequaled video quality and ease of use with a video relay service (VRS). Favourable reviews quickly led to its popular usage at educational facilities for the deaf, and from there to the greater deaf community.[67]
Coupled with similar high-quality videophones introduced by other electronics manufacturers, the availability of high speed Internet, and sponsored video relay services authorized by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission in 2002, VRS services for the deaf underwent rapid growth in that country.[67]
the point is forecasts by "brilliant" ceo;s and tech companies etc don;t always pan out exactly as planned...in fact they rarely do...will the EV meet the DHS fantasy timeline? maybe..but probably not...will the DHS fantasy car future ever come to fruition? in some form or another the odds are good...exactly as he and musk envision? probably not...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

madhatter wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:I am not sure that when the video phone prediction came out they actually expected the technology to surpass the video phone capability as rapidlyrapidly? as moose said the technology was unveiled in 64 and in 1970 it was expected to be in every home by 1980... as it did. So I am not sure you can say that was a bad prediction. I didn't, the point was that the technology never caught on in the way they predicted or in anything even close to on that timeline...the concept really only gained ground with the advent of the smartphone cuz as you said it does so much more than just that....no one wIf anything it was an under prediction. A lot of people have replaced landlines entirely with smart phones. We have. not everyone can, but for most people that makes sense, but be sure to note the lag time between when cellphones became relatively common ( 90's) to when you actually replaced your landline with one ( recently I assume?)Most people I know have. Other than for business I can't remember the last land line I called. Smart phones are of course video phones too. We just don't call it that because they do so much more.

I just installed a landline here two years ago because the cell service sux at my house...it's also my best option for internet ( DSL)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_videotelephony" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barely two years after the telephone was first patented in the United States in 1876 by Dr.[citation needed] Alexander Graham Bell, an early concept of a combined videophone and wide-screen television called a telephonoscope was conceptualized in the popular periodicals of the day.
Bell went on to later predict that: "...the day would come when the man at the telephone would be able to see the distant person to whom he was speaking."[14][15] The discoveries in physics, chemistry and materials science underlying video technology would not be in place until the mid-1920s, first being utilized in electromechanical television. More practical 'all-electronic' video and television would not emerge until 1939, but would then suffer several more years of delays before gaining popularity due to the onset and effects of World War II.
By 1930, AT&T's 'two-way television-telephone' system was in full-scale experimental use.[7][20] The Bell Labs' Manhattan facility devoted years of research to it during the 1930s, led by Dr. Herbert Ives along with his team of more than 200 scientists, engineers and technicians, intending to develop it for both telecommunication and broadcast entertainment purposes.[8][25]
In early 1936 the world's first public video telephone service, Germany's Gegensehn-Fernsprechanlagen (visual telephone system), was developed by Dr. Georg Schubert, who headed the development department at the Fernseh-AG, a technical combine for television broadcasting technology.[27] It was opened by the German Reichspost (post office) between Berlin and Leipzig, utilizing broadband coaxial cable to cover the distance of approximately 160 km (100 miles).
The more advanced Picturephone Mod I's early promotion included public evaluation displays at Disneyland and the 1964 New York World's Fair, with the first transcontinental videocall between the two venues made on April 20, 1964.[43][44]
At the time of its first launch, AT&T foresaw a hundred thousand Picturephones in use across the Bell System by 1975 . However, by the end of July 1974, only five Picturephones were being leased in Pittsburgh, and U.S.-wide there were only a few hundred, mostly in Chicago.[41] Unrelated difficulties at New York Telephone also slowed AT&T's efforts, and few customers signed up for the service in either city. At its peak Picturephone service had only about 500 subscribers, with the service fading away through the 1970s.
last post inthe wiki---I'm sure we all are fairly up to date on what's transpired since then...
Significant improvements in video call quality of service for the deaf occurred in the United States in 2003 when Sorenson Media Inc. (formerly Sorenson Vision), a video compression software coding company, developed its VP-100 model stand-alone videophone specifically for the deaf community. It was designed to output its video to the user's television in order to lower the cost of acquisition, and to offer remote control and a powerful video compression codec for unequaled video quality and ease of use with a video relay service (VRS). Favourable reviews quickly led to its popular usage at educational facilities for the deaf, and from there to the greater deaf community.[67]
Coupled with similar high-quality videophones introduced by other electronics manufacturers, the availability of high speed Internet, and sponsored video relay services authorized by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission in 2002, VRS services for the deaf underwent rapid growth in that country.[67]
the point is forecasts by "brilliant" ceo;s and tech companies etc don;t always pan out exactly as planned...in fact they rarely do...will the EV meet the DHS fantasy timeline? maybe..but probably not...will the DHS fantasy car future ever come to fruition? in some form or another the odds are good...exactly as he and musk envision? probably not...
Fair enough. Also the PC disrupted that technology as a wired solution. But to your point, it lagged the timeline prediction. This is probably a good example of market preference dynamics. They don't make people look good, which leads to insecurities. It's great for grandkids though.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Woodsrider wrote:
madhatter wrote:

Fair enough. Also the PC disrupted that technology as a wired solution. But to your point, it lagged the timeline prediction. This is probably a good example of market preference dynamics. They don't make people look good, which leads to insecurities. It's great for grandkids though.
I can remember a time trying to have my dad fab up a part by describing it to him over the phone...a landline videophone still wouldn't have helped as the part was connected to a motorcycle, but a smartphone would have for sure...

I can see where facetime can be of use when say you have a problem fixing something and call an friend or even a paid service...you can show and explain your issue almost as if the person were there with you...

data transmission /refresh rate seems to have been lacking until recently...now you can "go live" on FB w your phone....
mach es sehr schnell

deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

We use an iPad for FaceTime due to the larger screen size. If that was the only feature the device was capable of we absolutely would still own it and it would probably be cheaper to buy. It's that critical of a communication tool for us with my parents living in Florida.

Speaking of them, shortly after they retired to Florida in 2002 they decided to treat themselves to a flat panel TV. It was a 32" Panasonic and cost $4000. You can now buy the same size TV with better picture quality at Walmart for $109. That's how far we've come in only 15 years and technology is moving faster today than it was fifteen years ago.

When it comes to electric cars, the battery cost has been the biggest issue with wide adoption for mass production. It is estimated that for an electric car to be cost competitive with gas the batteries need to be constructed at a cost of $100/kwh.

We are well on our way to that.

http://electrek.co/2017/02/18/tesla-bat ... y-model-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://electrek.co/2017/06/28/audi-elec ... tery-cost/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now it's unlikely (probably impossible) battery prices plummet to the same extreme as a flat panel TV, but if they ever get to say $80 per kwh or even less? The vehicles will cost thousands less than comparable gas cars.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Good point on services being offered by FaceTime. We have a good friend who is a musician. He supplements his income from gigs by giving guitar lessons and they are mostly all done over Skype. He has a few wealthy students that pay a premium for him to travel to them, but the vast majority of them opt for Skype. It has been a big winner for his bottom line.

I bet we see major increases in it's use with healthcare. Cut your finger badly, but aren't sure if you require stitches? Skype the ER at the local hospital for a recommendation instead of traveling there and taking up space in an exam room. I would imagine EMTs are already using it in ambulances, so hospitals are better prepared for what needs to be done when the patient arrives.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

deadheadskier wrote:We use an iPad for FaceTime due to the larger screen size. If that was the only feature the device was capable of we absolutely would still own it even if it was 4k dollars and ONLY did facetime? and was connected to a wall in your house?and it would probably be cheaper to buy. It's that critical of a communication tool for us with my parents living in Florida.

Speaking of them, shortly after they retired to Florida in 2002 they decided to treat themselves to a flat panel TV. It was a 32" Panasonic and cost $4000. You can now buy the same size TV with better picture quality at Walmart for $109. That's how far we've come in only 15 years and technology is moving faster today than it was fifteen years ago.

When it comes to electric cars, the battery cost has been the biggest issue with wide adoption for mass production. It is estimated that for an electric car to be cost competitive with gas the batteries need to be constructed at a cost of $100/kwh.

We are well on our way to that.

http://electrek.co/2017/02/18/tesla-bat ... y-model-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://electrek.co/2017/06/28/audi-elec ... tery-cost/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now it's unlikely (probably impossible) battery prices plummet to the same extreme as a flat panel TV,or cars in general for that matter... but if they ever get to say $80 per kwh or even less? The vehicles will cost thousands less than comparable gas cars.
mach es sehr schnell

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Talk about an off the rails topic .. cracks me up.

.. learning that GIS is familiar with AEG/ModComp PIO SPDS, and the like ..
France mastered nuke generation by establishing a uniform standard.
I still believe PWR is superior to BWR as a technology base. :P

.. Yes, Skype has forever changed the climate of communication.
Haven't yet seen a Tesla SP100D equipped with a ski rack :sad:
0-60 in 2.8 secs with snowboards on top .. battery powered glider :like
An Eagle in Alaska took out a drone last week. :twisted:
Gasoline prices are quite reasonable this summer.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Yes, best NSR ever...

Madhatter vs Deadheadskier

The Honorable Mr. Moose vs Woodsrider

Sgt Eddie Brewers vs The Swamp

There should be a lot of hot ski off action this winter... :barebutt: :banana: :Toast :smash
I Belong A Long Way From Here.