Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Killington Resort
The Beast

Resort Storm Issues Update

Post by Killington Resort »

Early December Storm Issues Update
Jeff Temple - Director of Mountain Operations

Snowstorm
The December 9-11th snowstorm was a welcome weather event for the resort with all the terrain we were able to open and for all to enjoy. The amount of trail openings exploded and the feedback was summed up in one word: awesome!

Power OutageWhile snowstorms are expected in December, the 30+ inches over a number of days coupled with the many forms of moisture associated with the storm caused regional power outages and blips that went on for days; like aftershocks after an earthquake. The issues that challenged the resort due to these outages and blips pale in comparison to the many homes that were without power in our region for days and our hearts go out to them.

The resort enjoys a very stable power supply from our utility company and has reaped the benefits of an upgraded utility grid over the past decade. The utility company is very responsive and was able to quickly re-route power to us and the town soon after the extended power outage during the storm event.

All ski lifts are required by law to have at least one auxiliary source of power available when operating so that if one source fails, the lift can be unloaded of guests with the other. During the power outage all lifts were unloaded quickly with the gas and diesel backup power sources. The K-1 Gondola actually has three sources of power and can be run with no electric energy during an outage as we have done in the past, but was down during the outage due to icing from the storm.

Lift DowntimeWe continue to see power blips due to the heavy loading of snow on the trees in the region, and just experienced another as I write this a week after the storm. When this happens the lifts will stop but are restarted within a minute.

Beyond issues from the storm, the lifts do occasionally have mechanical, electrical or operational issues that can range from a few minutes to longer, where the lift line is “cleared” of guests until the issue is resolved. This past weekend we had a situation where at one time on Saturday afternoon, the three Snowdon lifts all had unrelated issues but all at the same time causing inconvenience to our guests.

Skye Peak Express did not run this past weekend when we opened all the Bear Mountain terrain early as it did not have its official state required inspection yet. The lift inspection which was scheduled and has now happened was on a timeline to be completed for Bear Mountain’s normal opening for Christmas week.

Lift InvestmentThe resort spends a significant amount of dollars and time on lift maintenance each year which is never compromised by economic times, ownership or for any other reason. The maintenance of lifts follow a strict regimen of daily, weekly and monthly inspections and checks during the season, as well as an exhaustive list of yearly maintenance that begins at season end through the beginning of the next season.

The resort invests heavily in the “normal” maintenance required by the state, insurance companies and national tramway codes as well as capital spending on major component replacements such as electrical lift drives each year. Just like cell phones and computers, electrical drives become unsupported and need to be replaced. This year Snowdon Quad, Canyon Quad and Northbrook Quad all were replaced at a substantial cost.

CommitmentI have a very strong mountain maintenance and operations team who take great pride in meeting not only weather challenges, but the many other operational challenges we may face on a daily basis. We are very committed as a Resort to provide the most reliable uphill service possible. I apologize for any inconvenience due to the storm and other lift downtime issues we have been challenged with over the past week.

See you on the hill,
Jeff
Dickc
Postaholic

Re: Resort Storm Issues Update

Post by Dickc »

Thank you very much for the continued open and frank discussions you, and the rest of the team have held on this forum for our benefit.

One question, Are the older "analog" lifts easier to deal with when having bad power issues than the newer digitally controlled lifts?
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Thanks for the update . . . you guys are the best :wink:
Andy J
Black Carver

Post by Andy J »

Dickc wrote:Thank you very much for the continued open and frank discussions you, and the rest of the team have held on this forum for our benefit.

One question, Are the older "analog" lifts easier to deal with when having bad power issues than the newer digitally controlled lifts?
Now there's a good idea. Digital lifts:

0 = Bottom

1 = Top
SkidadfromMD
Beginner On Rentals

Post by SkidadfromMD »

Andy J wrote:
Dickc wrote:Thank you very much for the continued open and frank discussions you, and the rest of the team have held on this forum for our benefit.

0 = Bottom

1 = Top
More like

0 - off

1 - on

The binary equation to run the lift would look like this:

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Jeff, thanks for the information and explanation.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

JT and his Team consistently deliver :like

His was Best Post yet this season!
'Just the facts, man'.

Thank You Very Much !

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Spyderman
Bumper

Post by Spyderman »

Jeff,

Many thanks for the frank and informative update and explanation . Great transparency. I feel safer than before with this added knowledge!
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Thanks for the update Jeff - and the effort of your team

I just wish you guys were keeping better gear running rather than fixing sh*tty gear - and I'm sure you do also.
Girlrider
Green Skidder

Post by Girlrider »

Thanks for explaining the facts.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Andy J wrote:

0 = Bottom

1 = Top
Brilliant. :banana:
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

There is no doubt that High Speed Detachable lifts are more prone to problems in slippery conditions, both icing and even just rainy conditions. With icing the computers will often stop the lifts due to sensor problems on the towers. In the r*in, often the problem is at the top and bottom when the chairs are detached and going around. They slip and get too close to each other and the computer shuts down the lift. Fixed grip lifts have none of these problems.

But none of these issues are reasons to choose installation of new fixed grips over HSDs. They are a good reason to keep the old lifts on the mountain in place if possible rather than take them down when you put a new HSD in. But obviously you can't do that when you use the same line for the new lift.

But overall K has a good mix of both HSDs and older fixed grips in place and running. The Snowdon triple and Quad, Canyon and North Ridge lifts, Bear, Sunrise, Northbrook, Two Snowsheds. Even the Poma. They ALL are useful not only as additional capacity but in conditions that don't favor the HSDs.

(And after they put in a HSD on Snowdon and move the fixed quad to the SOUTH RIDGE, that chair will be immensely handy for getting around when the High Speed Detachables are flaking out. :D )

Meanwhile, it of course won't matter whether a lift is fixed or DST, new or old, in a power outage. And the notion that this huge resort should somehow invest in a power infrastructure that lets them function off the grid during relatively rare major outages is, to me, misguided. There are countless things on all of our wish lists that we'd rather see resources go toward than that.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

[quote="Southside_Bobby"]There is no doubt that High Speed Detachable lifts are more prone to problems in slippery conditions, both icing and even just rainy conditions. With icing the computers will often stop the lifts due to sensor problems on the towers. In the r*in, often the problem is at the top and bottom when the chairs are detached and going around. quote]

Oops, I said the bad word. Sorry.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
skibikeclimbguy
Black Carver

Post by skibikeclimbguy »

I don't care if Snowdon has a fixed grip quad, a detachable quad, a six pack, or a donkey pulling a sled. I JUST DON'T WANT IT TO STOP 8 TIMES PER RIDE. I think that is something everyone can agree upon. Figure out why it stops so freaking often and fix that.
teletimg
Beginner On Rentals

Post by teletimg »

I understand there have been multiple issues with the lifts over the last week or so, and I think it was great that K made the effort and got Bear open so early.

BUT, it seems to me there have been many more very long lift delays or not opening at all due to icing over the last few years. I have no data to back this up but I think many on this board would agree with me. Is there any explanation for this?

TT