State Police out to destroy the Killington Economy again

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

TheAbominableSnowman
Blue Chatterbox

State Police out to destroy the Killington Economy again

Post by TheAbominableSnowman »

Once again the Vermont State Police feel its more important to patrol the killington road and do checkpoints and give out DUI's to people that don't deserve them then actually fighting crime. 5 Cops on the road saturday night, Checkpoints on RT4 Monday night and rumors of them tonight. Was going to go out and get dinner. Most likely a $60 to $80 bill Plus tip that would have when to a local restaurant but now its not. When is this going to stop???? Arresting everyone you can the blows a hair over 0.08 (Less then 2 Drinks) is not the answer and not keeping the road safe. Locals see that and want to move away, Tourist see it and don't want to come back, People stay in instead of going out and spending money all for revenue to fund the VSP and the State.

Yet, call the VSP and say your in trouble and your home is being broken into and they won't even respond for hours if they even do. They won't patrol the town in the summer to protect homes from getting broken into. (The sheriffs department was doing it this summer witch was nice to see) But I just don't see the VSP as real cops. Real cops fight crime not rob people of there hard earned money. If you are smashed then yes, But if not. Get them off the road and don't ruin their lives.

We don't even really have public transportation. The bus sucks and the cabs are a pain in the ass. You never know when they are running. Unless it a weekend and if you need a ride for just 1, Good Luck. Plus I hate not having my car. Its like losing my freedom.

And don't say they are doing a good thing. ALL of you on here are guilty if you have 1 drink and most people who drink often will tell you that it takes a lot more then 1,2 or 3 to feel the affects of alcohol

All in All their presents in this town is not good for the town. We should have our own people department that knows how to patrol a resort town and one that turns people away.

I only hope the Resort, Town, Businesses and community come together to stop the VSP from bleeding dry and pushing all the people that come here to spend money away.
The Abominable Snowman

I Come from the land of the ice and snow
GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Re: State Police out to destroy the Killington Economy again

Post by GlacierBoy »

Ah, it is Festivus on Dec. 23 so you are simply celebrating with "Airing of Grievances." Happy Festivus! What were you Acts of Strength?

It seems too stringent to have so many checkpoints but DUI is a rampant problem around resort towns. And how is the VSP's battle going vs. the scourge of heroin epidemic in the state?
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

TheAbominableSnowman wrote:Once again the Vermont State Police feel its more important to patrol the killington road and do checkpoints and give out DUI's to people that don't deserve them then actually fighting crime. 5 Cops on the road saturday night, Checkpoints on RT4 Monday night and rumors of them tonight. Was going to go out and get dinner. Most likely a $60 to $80 bill Plus tip that would have when to a local restaurant but now its not. When is this going to stop???? Arresting everyone you can the blows a hair over 0.08 (Less then 2 Drinks) is not the answer and not keeping the road safe. Locals see that and want to move away, Tourist see it and don't want to come back, People stay in instead of going out and spending money all for revenue to fund the VSP and the State.

Yet, call the VSP and say your in trouble and your home is being broken into and they won't even respond for hours if they even do. They won't patrol the town in the summer to protect homes from getting broken into. (The sheriffs department was doing it this summer witch was nice to see) But I just don't see the VSP as real cops. Real cops fight crime not rob people of there hard earned money. If you are smashed then yes, But if not. Get them off the road and don't ruin their lives.

We don't even really have public transportation. The bus sucks and the cabs are a pain in the ass. You never know when they are running. Unless it a weekend and if you need a ride for just 1, Good Luck. Plus I hate not having my car. Its like losing my freedom.

And don't say they are doing a good thing. ALL of you on here are guilty if you have 1 drink and most people who drink often will tell you that it takes a lot more then 1,2 or 3 to feel the affects of alcohol

All in All their presents in this town is not good for the town. We should have our own people department that knows how to patrol a resort town and one that turns people away.

I only hope the Resort, Town, Businesses and community come together to stop the VSP from bleeding dry and pushing all the people that come here to spend money away.
Good thing you stayed home tonight. After reading this, you sound like you're bombed.

That aside, can we get back to the VSP giving presents out. Can I get in on that? I like to get presents.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Dick heads
Pushgears
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Pushgears »

I was once stopped by a trooper on Route 28 while returning from a day trip to Belleayre. He clocked me going 54 in a 45 mph zone, but didn't give me a ticket. Instead, he reminded me that there "are lots of businesses along this road with cars turning in and out of driveways and we don't want anyone getting hurt, so slow down and be careful." He was right-we definitely didn't want anyone getting hurt.

That was a more effective safety stop than any ticket would have been. Maybe the VSP trolls the Zone and can learn a thing or two about human nature?
I spend a little time on the mountain, spend a little time on the hill.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

The State of Vermont does seem to want to shake the tourists for any dollar they can get, case in point is driving through Bridgewater or Woodstock. So you either take your business elsewhere or drive the speed limit and don't drink more than what will keep you under the limit.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
wanderer7453
Bumper

Post by wanderer7453 »

I get to Killington I park my car and I don't get back into it until I leave for home. One thing I love about the place are the shuttles that will take you anywhere with an appropriate tip.
Mistergiff
Black Carver

Post by Mistergiff »

TheAbominableSnowman wrote:Once again the Vermont State Police feel its more important to patrol the killington road and do checkpoints and give out DUI's to people that don't deserve them then actually fighting crime. 5 Cops on the road saturday night, Checkpoints on RT4 Monday night and rumors of them tonight. Was going to go out and get dinner. Most likely a $60 to $80 bill Plus tip that would have when to a local restaurant but now its not. When is this going to stop???? Arresting everyone you can the blows a hair over 0.08 (Less then 2 Drinks) is not the answer and not keeping the road safe. Locals see that and want to move away, Tourist see it and don't want to come back, People stay in instead of going out and spending money all for revenue to fund the VSP and the State.

This I have got to agree with. Last Friday on our way north we ran into a check point on the Manchester Bypass just north of Bennington. It created about a 20 minute back up. Not a problem getting through, everyone was very nice in fact, but why set up a check point on one of the main highways to Stratton, Okemo and Killington. On a Friday? All you're doing is causing a traffic jam. Also is it really that effective at catching either drug runners or complete drunks if you put up warning signs 5 miles ahead of the fact. Anyone who was truly concerned could have gotten off at exit 2 and taken 7A. Ridiculous waste of resources and time.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

If it were for safety reasons I'd buy it - but in Bernie Sanders land - it's about Revenue.

And these are the clowns that are going to make Pot legal - then they'll get if from both sides - tax it - and enforcement fees like OUI etc.

I get a ticket a year on rt 4 - did take someone's advice from the board and use cruise control now - I don't care about the fine - I don't want to put any money in their funds anymore.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Kinda simple way around problems.

Don't speed, don't drink and drive and you won't have any issues.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
TheAbominableSnowman
Blue Chatterbox

Post by TheAbominableSnowman »

SnoBrdr: I hope you get pulled over one day after having 1 or 2 drinks and get a DUI so you will understand the level of ridiculousness enforcement they are doing. F'en Goody Goody
SnoBrdr wrote:

The Abominable Snowman

I Come from the land of the ice and snow
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

TheAbominableSnowman wrote:SnoBrdr: I hope you get pulled over one day after having 1 or 2 drinks and get a DUI so you will understand the level of ridiculousness enforcement they are doing. F'en Goody Goody
SnoBrdr wrote:

No chance of that ever happening.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
skilab
Blue Chatterbox

Post by skilab »

While I find the volume of enforcement annoying for me, I'm sure the family of the guy killed on the access road due to OUI last year doesn't mind.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

heres the unwritten rule for driving in VT
Highways- 75 mph you will not get pulled over
back roads - if it is 50 mph you can do 60 mph
if its anything else you better be doing the limit or under. If you have driven to K enough then you already know exactly where the cops are. Theres ALWAYS a cop right after the limit drops after you pass Roundtop mountain or whatever its called now. Theres almost always a cop in the old stone church parking lot just after the road bends left on route 103 in Chester after making the right to stay on 103 near the citgo station. If you get a ticket for speeding there, you deserve it
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

skilab wrote:While I find the volume of enforcement annoying for me, I'm sure the family of the guy killed on the access road due to OUI last year doesn't mind.
It would be great to say let people drink and drive around the resort, but Skilab's point is spot on. When people drink and drive they put other's lives at risk. There are a lot of people who feel they can have 4 cocktails and drive safely, but the truth is they are impaired. Then you get someone who goes full Festivus, 7 or more, and they are a danger to everyone and themselves. Mr. Abominable Snowman, I hear your cry, but you're not going to get much sympathy from most people.

Edit: Please leave Rudolf alone :!:
Last edited by freeski on Dec 24th, '14, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.