NSR: Should Vermont Legalize Recreational Marijuana? POLL

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Should Vermont Legalize Recreational Marijuana?

Poll ended at Jan 24th, '15, 20:12

Yes
73%
No
18%
Neutral
9%

Total votes: 45

Troughsmasher
Beginner On Rentals

Re: NSR: Should Vermont Legalize Recreational Marijuana? POL

Post by Troughsmasher »

freeski wrote:They know if they let the people decide it will pass. Nice to see someone playing the gay/holocaust card. :roll: Sen. Becca Balint (D-Windham) made an impassioned plea to fellow Democrats not to use the ballot box to decide social issues. As a gay person with family members who were killed in the Holocaust, she said, “I can’t tell you how terrified I am when it comes to referendums. We don’t have control over what the questions are going to look like in future.”
An elected official who passionately believes that the public are too dumb/immoral/prejudiced to be trusted to vote? You would think she'd be all for legalizing a substance that saps its users' motivation to get off the couch.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Oops! I thought it was legal. Legalize it and put the tax money to good use.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Well looks like Vermont has missed the boat. Mass. and Maine are going to vote on recreational use in November. I was hoping Vermont would be first to reap the benefits and help the farmers. Would have been great for Killington. Access road super store. :sad:
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

freeski wrote:Well looks like Vermont has missed the boat. Mass. and Maine are going to vote on recreational use in November. I was hoping Vermont would be first to reap the benefits and help the farmers. Would have been great for Killington. Access road super store. :sad:
Vermont is poised to jump along with any other New England state. Latest possible benefit is that it may prevent Alzheimer's.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

freeski wrote:Vermont could rake in Millions of dollars from surrounding states. Legalization would create jobs and send a ripple through Vermont's economy. It would boost tourism including the ski industry. I am not "retired", but have not inhaled in over 5 years. For me it is about freedom and the heavy handed tactics the government has used to suppress a plant which has many beneficial effects and few negatives. The state could use the tax revenue to reduce property taxes, fund education and educate kids about the dangerous drugs which are ruining so many young lives in Vermont.

I agree the politicians keeping people from getting medicine proven to help them is wrong. Depending on who the candidates are in 2016 this could really hurt the Republicans. It's funny many are "small government" Republicans. Vermont farmers could also benefit from growing Hemp.

-Sorry for the politics in this forum. After reading the menu Ozzy posted yesterday I thought it would be interesting to see where K-Zoners stand.
It's laughable to me that you think this is a political benefit to Democrats. Have you not noticed the Republicans are less concerned about social issues (at a platform level). In fact, most Republicans I know, and I know many, are pro-legalization as they see the cost is to great and its what the people want. In fact, look at the post referencing the Democrat from Windham, she clearly is against the people having a say in government, the typical Liberal oligarchy mantra, do as I say, not as I do. In fact, look at the MA govt, in recent years there have been multiple ballot innitiatives apprroved by the constituents, which the Democrats have refused to put into law. How is that representing the people? So, Im not getting into politics, but please understand the Democrats of today are no longer the party of the people.
thedev
Black Carver

Post by thedev »

It will stimulate the economy and poses less health related threats than cigarettes, why not?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

thedev wrote:It will stimulate the economy and poses less health related threats than cigarettes, why not?
Don't really care one way or the other but both of those arguments are weak.

Only a few people will see money from this and those are the store owners who the politicians give the licenses to.

Wonder how they would decide who gets them.

The problem of what to do with all that cash would then come up like it has in Colorado.

You can't put it into a bank account nor can you buy with a credit card.

The State could make out very well by taxing the hell out of it.

Make it at least a 50% tax and they will do well.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
thedev
Black Carver

Post by thedev »

SnoBrdr wrote:
thedev wrote:It will stimulate the economy and poses less health related threats than cigarettes, why not?

Only a few people will see money from this and those are the store owners who the politicians give the licenses to.

The problem of what to do with all that cash would then come up like it has in Colorado.

But if these taxes only affect those who buy, what's the big risk?
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

If it is legalized then you should be able to grow your own, would be my only opinion. It should of been put of for citizens to vote on at this election.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Legalize pot? Are you people crazy! It is so much more fun being quasi-legal. No more sneaking around and finding suppliers what fun is that? Anywho the greedy government just taxes it to death making it cost a fortune. Just look at the Colorado experience. There is still a huge black market just to escape the taxes. You people are wrecking the whole experience by trying to make it establishment approved. THINK!
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

thedev wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

But if these taxes only affect those who buy, what's the big risk?
Never said anything about any risk.

Tax the hell out of it and be done with the matter.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Mass is in. Looks like Maine is on it's way. I really wanted it for Vermont. It would have been a financial boost for the state and Killington. This will be great for Sunday River and Sugarloaf. Just watch...

Never thought I'd see it in my lifetime. It's the end of the world and I feel fine.

http://www.businessinsider.com/marijuan ... oming-in-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

freeski wrote:Mass is in. Looks like Maine is on it's way. I really wanted it for Vermont. It would have been a financial boost for the state and Killington. This will be great for Sunday River and Sugarloaf. Just watch...

Never thought I'd see it in my lifetime. It's the end of the world and I feel fine.

http://www.businessinsider.com/marijuan ... oming-in-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How will a Trump DoJ effect this.

The DoJ can put a stop to any state allowing it if they wish.
E O Eleven
Black Carver

Post by E O Eleven »

:zzz
Last edited by E O Eleven on Feb 3rd, '23, 14:23, edited 2 times in total.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

SnoBrdr wrote:
freeski wrote:Mass is in. Looks like Maine is on it's way. I really wanted it for Vermont. It would have been a financial boost for the state and Killington. This will be great for Sunday River and Sugarloaf. Just watch...

How will a Trump DoJ effect this.

The DoJ can put a stop to any state allowing it if they wish.
Trump has generally been pro medical and has stated he would like the feds to stay out of the entire issue, but if Giuliani or Christie or the like is in the mix, all bets are off. Actually, since this is Trump we're talking about, all bets are off anyway.