New Balsams ski resort bigger than K

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skifaster
Poster Child Poster

New Balsams ski resort bigger than K

Post by skifaster »

Balsams Web Site Unveiled
Current plans call for 2,200 acres of terrain serviced by 22 lifts.
Thursday, February 26, 2015, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com
A web site for the proposed Balsams reopening has been quietly launched, featuring a high level overview for the massive project.

According to the site, 2,200 acres of alpine ski terrain would be opened at full build out, making it larger than Killington. The site also hints the area would use its climate to its advantage to provide early openings and late closings.

22 lifts may include at least one gondola originating from the vicinity of the historic hotel. 100 KM of nordic skiing would be offered.

The site is also decorated with numerous glowing quotes from developer Les Otten, founder of LBO Resorts and American Skiing Company:

"This spectacular terrain inspires a vast and diverse ski area that will be the centerpiece for what will be one of the finest four season resorts ever constructed."

"In over four decades of developing resorts, I have never come across land with such beauty and potential. Its scale, physical diversity and accessibility make it the ideal setting for the most spectacular four seasons resort of its kind."

See more: http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/ski ... lepeak.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Otten.... This will be interesting....
"Audaces Fortuna Luvat” Fortune Favors the Bold...
shortski
Site Admin

Re: New Balsams ski resort bigger than K

Post by shortski »

Hope he learned from his last debatical not to finance the development at 18% interest.

Nothing has been approved so far just a proposal. Don't see any development happening in next 5 years or maybe around the time the K village is started. :-)
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Killington needs to get on the ball. Build the interconnect! Build it now!
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Does not look too steep.

Where in NH is it?
Where is Happy Hour ?
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

RustyK wrote:Does not look too steep.

Where in NH is it?

Up near Jay Peak.
ImageImageImageImage
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

Where in NH is it?
Basically go all the way up to the NH/Canadian Border and then come back into NH about 10 feet and that's where the Balsams is.

My family had a few summer family reunions there before it closed down a few years back. Great, classical old school New England Grand Hotel, but it's a hike to get there!! From my house in Eastern CT, it was a almost a 5 hour drive, where you had to pass all of the ski resorts along I-93 in NH to get there (not an issue in the summer when my family went, but would be a potential challenge in the winter
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
irab82
Black Carver

Post by irab82 »

It's over 7 hours from the NY/NJ metro area. They could make it 2x the size of Killington, won't make a difference.
http://www.IraSez.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

irab82 wrote:It's over 7 hours from the NY/NJ metro area. They could make it 2x the size of Killington, won't make a difference.
So are Sunday River and Sugarloaf but they do pretty well.
Don't Killington Pico
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Stormchaser wrote:

Where in NH is it?

Up near Jay Peak.
No, this is on the northeast side of Mt. Washington. You go up to Colebrook, NH and then there is a road to Sunday River. These mountains are about 27 miles north of Sunday River. There is a notch you drive through and it's pretty cool all most as many cool features as Franconia Notch and they get a ton of snow there. It's north of Old Speck in Maine. When you're in the notch you wonder how they keep the road open from falling boulders. :-)
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

irab82 wrote:It's over 7 hours from the NY/NJ metro area. They could make it 2x the size of Killington, won't make a difference.
If it's actually built it could hurt the big resorts in Maine. It is about 40 mile from Canada as the crow flies. I've lived in NH most of my life and even from Concord it's tough to get to (no direct route). I only discovered this area recently and it is a hidden gem.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Been there several times. It's was a cool little ski area. Nothing very steep & they groomed the mountain maticulously. Except for the last hour or so cutting across on Rt. 3 it's all interstate driving from NYC. You get off I-91 at St. Johnsbury & are briefly on I-93 before picking up rt.3. One of the few places my parents would still ski when they got older because it was mostly groomed & never crowded. I'd love to see it reopen.
TheRat
Blue Chatterbox

Post by TheRat »

This may provide a fuller picture. Been up there several times since the family of one of my fraternity brothers owned it before selling it a few years ago. Sounds a little bit pie-in-the-sky. I sure as hell would never contribute to its financing. But when one looks at what Otten did at Sunday River and Canyons, making much from little, it could happen. If it does, it would be a boon to a part of NH that is in dire need of economic development.

http://thebalsamsresort.com
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

It's kind of hard for Killington to compete with something that doesn't exist...
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Don't forget the Montreal and Quebec City have a large skiing population also. I am sure the State of NH would be very helpful in obtaining permits since this area has lost so many jobs over the years. The Ride the Wilds ATV trail network was put together very quickly and with little money in this region. It is the largest interconnect trail network in the US and has already started to help the local economy. There are other markets for skiers beside NY/CT/NJ.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Les Otten & New England's largest ski resort ?

Post by SnoBrdr »

By Heather Burke, Boston.com Correspondent

Les Otten just revealed his big -- make that huge -- plans for the Balsams Resort in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire.

How does 2,200 acres of skiing and 22 lifts, including a gondola, sound? That is the vision and proposal, which will create the largest ski resort in New England. There’s much more planned for the 1866 resort that has been closed since 2011. The 100-year- old Hampshire House will undergo complete renovations and be available for luxury resort ownership as part of the master plan.

Otten, who built American Skiing Company, has assembled quite a development team. His team includes David Norden, who has developed Stowe Mountain Lodge in Spruce Peak Village and Aspen, and Burt Mills, a seasoned New England ski resort developer.

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/ ... ure_sec_hp
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.