New Balsams ski resort bigger than K

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

spanky
Site Admin

New Balsams ski resort bigger than K

Post by spanky »

SnoBrdr wrote:By Heather Burke, Boston.com Correspondent

Les Otten just revealed his big -- make that huge -- plans for the Balsams Resort in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire.

How does 2,200 acres of skiing and 22 lifts, including a gondola, sound? That is the vision and proposal, which will create the largest ski resort in New England. There’s much more planned for the 1866 resort that has been closed since 2011. The 100-year- old Hampshire House will undergo complete renovations and be available for luxury resort ownership as part of the master plan.

Otten, who built American Skiing Company, has assembled quite a development team. His team includes David Norden, who has developed Stowe Mountain Lodge in Spruce Peak Village and Aspen, and Burt Mills, a seasoned New England ski resort developer.

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/ ... ure_sec_hp
Instead of deleting the new thread as you requested, I merged your post with this thread as I thought it provided additional info.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Ragged#1
Bumper

Re: New Balsams ski resort bigger than K

Post by Ragged#1 »

Lots of K bashing on crappy alpinezone.

Deadheadskier:
Actually plenty of people think K is the best. The more that do the better as far as I'm concerned
Other fag:
"Kmart

No longer the biggest

Never been the best

But who wants to drive any further?"
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

spanky wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:By Heather Burke, Boston.com Correspondent

Les Otten just revealed his big -- make that huge -- plans for the Balsams Resort in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire.

How does 2,200 acres of skiing and 22 lifts, including a gondola, sound? That is the vision and proposal, which will create the largest ski resort in New England. There’s much more planned for the 1866 resort that has been closed since 2011. The 100-year- old Hampshire House will undergo complete renovations and be available for luxury resort ownership as part of the master plan.

Otten, who built American Skiing Company, has assembled quite a development team. His team includes David Norden, who has developed Stowe Mountain Lodge in Spruce Peak Village and Aspen, and Burt Mills, a seasoned New England ski resort developer.

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/ ... ure_sec_hp
Instead of deleting the new thread as you requested, I merged your post with this thread as I thought it provided additional info.
Danke.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Ragged#1: I bet you would not imply that to DHS's face. Bad post, bad language. :dislike
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Ragged#1
Bumper

Post by Ragged#1 »

^ Thanks for reminding me Jesus. :seeya
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
HomeStretchFan
Green Skidder

Post by HomeStretchFan »

Love the idea, but roads to this amazing resort would need significant upgrading. Part of why I like Killington is the quick trip from Boston, and the ability to find decent priced lodging nearby (Rutland, White River Junction, Killington are all options).

Sometime tells me this place wouldn't have nearly the options.

I hope it does go through ... northern New Hampshire needs the economy boost!
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Looks like a stunningly beautiful area and an awesome lift and trail layout at build-out but can't see it ever being able to draw enough people to make it viable. Just too far, you pretty much have to ride a moose to get there. Plus all the environmentalist extremist will be coming out of the woodwork to put a stop to it at every turn. If it ever did get off the ground it would likely end up being a fraction of the size of what they are proposing at build-out. Gotta love the vision though and if anyone can do it, it's Less.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

KingsFourMan wrote:Looks like a stunningly beautiful area and an awesome lift and trail layout at build-out but can't see it ever being able to draw enough people to make it viable. Just too far, you pretty much have to ride a moose to get there. Plus all the environmentalist extremist will be coming out of the woodwork to put a stop to it at every turn. If it ever did get off the ground it would likely end up being a fraction of the size of what they are proposing at build-out. Gotta love the vision though and if anyone can do it, it's Less.
Sounds fun. Maybe that would bring in more people? :mrgreen:

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

KingsFourMan wrote:Gotta love the vision though and if anyone can do it, it's Less.
So ... Les is More ? :?

Phase 1 alone presents significant economic and environmental challenges.
Forever .. Goat Path
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

Just a quick two cents, although I love following this project and it would be great for New Hampshire's north-country.

The Environmental challenges are not as big as they might seem. This is all almost exclusively private land already in the Balsams ownership or paper company timberlands. In fact there is a massive wind-farm in the area, which has had it's safety setback reduced already to allow for this planned development. It's also in the unincorporated townships of Dixville and Millsfield so there are essentially no local landowners or town government to worry about. In addition NH's democratic governor (Hassan) and democratic and republican senators (Shaheen and Ayotte) have all supported the plan wholeheartedly.
Raise 'Em Jay
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

This is a good idea.......just in case global warming....oh excuse me "climate change" is in fact a reality. All the NE resorts will be turned into Water World and The BALLSAMS will be the BALLS. I'm trademarking that...the BALLSAMS is the BALLS. Kind of like the Beast of the East..only not.
:-)
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

5 hour drive from Hartford.... that's not something I'll be doing for a weekend on a regular basis, and that means it won't be anything more than a once in a while trip, if ever. They've got more challenges than just environmental permitting. 4 hours from Boston doesn't bode well either. 2:45 from Montreal is at least reasonable, but they have to drive past Jay to get there....
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Most ski areas face the north to hold snow. Many of the trails are facing south. I know they get a lot of snow in that area comparable to Stowe, but not enough to make up for the southern exposure? As far as environmental impact, there are already logging roads and clear cuts in the area. So it's not like virgin wilderness. Plan includes 2,500 condos, that will never happen. It will be interesting to see what happens if anything.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

you can land a jet 30 minutes away -

http://www.berlinnh.gov/Pages/BerlinNH_Airport/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could be an interesting 3 season play - if they play it right.

They could go big on the snowmobile, golf, bike, etc and maybe con a few people out of some condo money.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

shortski wrote:This is a good idea.......just in case global warming....oh excuse me "climate change" is in fact a reality. All the NE resorts will be turned into Water World and The BALLSAMS will be the BALLS. I'm trademarking that...the BALLSAMS is the BALLS. Kind of like the Beast of the East..only not.
:-)
I was thinking the same, when K's season is down to 3 months instead of 6 months, go north young man! And just think how nice it would be to ski Fridays and Saturdays without all the crowds!!!
Side note: I read this AM that the NH Senate had sent the $28 million loan guarantee bill to committee, at least a delay if not killing it :(

http://nhpr.org/post/senate-committee-b ... ng-balsams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not many western resorts that are close to large population center that do well. Jackson and Big Sky aren't easy to get to! I have driven to both.
Last edited by Big Bob on Mar 5th, '15, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22