New Balsams ski resort bigger than K

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

brownman
Postinator

Re: New Balsams ski resort bigger than K

Post by brownman »

skixc2 wrote: I love following this project and it would be great for New Hampshire's north-country.
New Hampshire's north country consists primarily of timber and large critters.
Please explain to us precisely how this resort build out will be great for that.

Unless the Snow Train revives, this will generate more smoke than flame.
IMHO ... Les already used his '15 minutes'.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Mister Moose wrote:2:45 from Montreal is at least reasonable, but they have to drive past Jay to get there....
Until the price of crude oil recovers, the Canuckistan Peso doesn't spend very well in the US. I imagine Jay Peak must be feeling it. A year ago, the Canadian dollar was at par. Now, it's $1.25.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Reads well on paper, and the legislature and Governor appear to be in step with Lester.
Certainly a labor boost for the NH North Country ... several years of infrastructure, build-out and such.

http://www.nhbr.com/April-17-2015/It-wo ... tens-plan/

'Build it, they will come'
Still wondering ... who is They ?

:?
Forever .. Goat Path
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Geoff wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:2:45 from Montreal is at least reasonable, but they have to drive past Jay to get there....
Until the price of crude oil recovers, the Canuckistan Peso doesn't spend very well in the US. I imagine Jay Peak must be feeling it. A year ago, the Canadian dollar was at par. Now, it's $1.25.
Going to Banff was awesome. No need for currency exchange. Order an $8 cocktail, hand the barkeep an American $10, and you get $5 in change back. It's the new happy hour. Instead of cheaper drinks, you get extra change - same end result, but bigger wow factor!
ImageImageImageImage
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

brownman wrote:
skixc2 wrote: I love following this project and it would be great for New Hampshire's north-country.
New Hampshire's north country consists primarily of timber and large critters.
Please explain to us precisely how this resort build out will be great for that.

Unless the Snow Train revives, this will generate more smoke than flame.
IMHO ... Les already used his '15 minutes'.

:Toast
yes les did a great building sunday river but his asc venture was full fledged disaster. who would entrust 100's of millions to this guy for smallish mtn an hour past da river. why?
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Geoff wrote:
Jay used to run two registers for some of the housing and lift tickets, one US dollars and the other Canadian. Lifts and I believe housing was a straight exchange. Food and beverages on the other hand could get some pretty interesting conversations going regarding the exchange rates. Funny how EVERY ONE spoke great English at this point.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Stormchaser wrote: Going to Banff was awesome.
No question on that ... especially if Banff Springs was the accommodation :ear
TeePeeTown :like
Forever .. Goat Path
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

One step closer to making it happen.

http://www.wmur.com/special-reports/dev ... Type=Story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Big Bob wrote:One step closer to making it happen.

http://www.wmur.com/special-reports/dev ... Type=Story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The plans also call for a large ski area on the property, something that Otten said will be one of a kind.

“The style of the terrain, the variety of it, the type of trees and its orientation is the best you can find in the east of the United States,” Otten said.

the man is delusional ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

skiadikt wrote:
Big Bob wrote:One step closer to making it happen.

The plans also call for a large ski area on the property, something that Otten said will be one of a kind.

“The style of the terrain, the variety of it, the type of trees and its orientation is the best you can find in the east of the United States,” Otten said.

the man is delusional ...
What would thew type of tress have to do with influencing a ski resort.

Unless they were palms.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

This may get built before the Killington Village! moving closer to a start date.

http://www.unionleader.com/local-govern ... l-08042017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

I hope they can pull this off. The Balsams have been there for a very long time, 120 years. It has always been, and always will be, a destination resort. It was well worth the effort in the past and will only be more worth it in the future. I would love to be there midweek skiing a fully developed ski area with about three feet of endless powder for as far as the eye can see. Fresh tracks every run for days. Great accommodations, great food and a great atmosphere. Furthermore, the North Country needs this.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

If the North Country "needed" this, then there would be plenty of investors lining up to get the job done without the state of NH having to back the project.

I'm all for having a defunct ski area re-open and introduce massive amounts of new terrain to enjoy, but I think the scope of the project is insane for the location.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote:If the North Country "needed" this, then there would be plenty of investors lining up to get the job done without the state of NH having to back the project.

I'm all for having a defunct ski area re-open and introduce massive amounts of new terrain to enjoy, but I think the scope of the project is insane for the location.
The north country very likely needs this. Whether the market needs this is a separate issue.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Bubba wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:If the North Country "needed" this, then there would be plenty of investors lining up to get the job done without the state of NH having to back the project.

The north country very likely needs this. Whether the market needs this is a separate issue.

If there's no market for a village at K - there's absolutely no market for that place. Good luck to them. Another Les scam.