New Balsams ski resort bigger than K

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: New Balsams ski resort bigger than K

Post by da Pimp »

I am an avid skier reaching 60-75 days a year since the late 80's. Yet I would probably visit the Balsams just once, unless it doesn't get built out well for another 15-20 years so that would be never. What does that tell you for their chances of creating a large customer base? I cannot justify the weekend drive to fine Vermont hills like Stowe or Jay, let alone all the way to the Balsams. If I did go there, I would have to disregard Sunday River or Sugarloaf, both of which are well deserving of my time & money and I rarely go there either because I consider them mostly unaccessible until I retire some day. The Balsams would be absolutely no direct competition for Killington. POWDR needs to focus on not losing their customer base to Okemo, Mt. Snow, Sugarbush where they upgrade lifts, groom well, and make improvements of all types that make for happy customers. Currently, they would rather stand in a weekend or holiday liftline at those places rather than visit Killington.
TheRat
Blue Chatterbox

Post by TheRat »

Just checked Mapquest. 141 miles/2hours and 47 minutes from the center of Montreal. Maybe that will make the resort more viable. Especially if the exchange rate turns around for Canadians. We drive further than that to get to K. I've been up there in the past as I was a fraternity brother of one of the former owners in the Tillotson family. It's a fantastically beautiful location, definitely a destination resort for us, but maybe even a day trip for suburban Montrealers.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Les Otten has a pretty good track record of getting money, and doing a build out. Look at what he did for growth at Sunday River. That said, he isn't necessarily the guy you want running the financial side. The question isn't whether the Balsams will get built, but rather how far they get before they end up the same way ASC did? Regardless, he'll still walk away with a bundle.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

brownman wrote:
skixc2 wrote: I love following this project and it would be great for New Hampshire's north-country.
New Hampshire's north country consists primarily of timber and large critters.
Please explain to us precisely how this resort build out will be great for that.

Unless the Snow Train revives, this will generate more smoke than flame.
IMHO ... Les already used his '15 minutes'.

:Toast
The North Country has made big investments in ATV tourism. There are hundreds of miles of dirt trails, a new ATV park in Berlin, many paved public roads are legal to drive ATV's on. The word has gotten out and ATV riders are arriving; if you build it, they will come. Snowmobiling is big in the winter, hunting and fishing just as big too. There's a lot going on in the North Country besides timber and large critters.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

rogman wrote:Les Otten has a pretty good track record of getting money, and doing a build out. Look at what he did for growth at Sunday River. That said, he isn't necessarily the guy you want running the financial side. The question isn't whether the Balsams will get built, but rather how far they get before they end up the same way ASC did? Regardless, he'll still walk away with a bundle.
Well, you not his tenure at Sunday River and what he accomplished. That was over 2 decades. LBO is now in his 60's, so if he sticks with the Balsams just as long, he'd be in his 80's. Not sure he's looking for a windfall at that point.