Killington's Impending Infrastructure Collapse

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Re: Killington's Impending Infrastructure Collapse

Post by Woodsrider »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:I’m not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, but K1 is getting all new cabins next year.
Hearsay or an Official source?
multiple sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Zero chance. They just put in a new loading platform at the bottom that would need to be completely redone as new cabins would have to be level boarding and ADA compliant.

The K1 cabins are in really rough shape due to how many hours that lift has. The Skyeship is older but the cabins are in better condition since it doesn't run nearly as many hours.

If they did get new cabins they would likely be Sigma Diamond model like Stratton's still relatively new cabins as that company is owned by Leitner Poma. The cabins on there now are CWA and they are now owned by Doppelmayr.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Woodsrider wrote:
ME2VTSkier wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:I’m not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, but K1 is getting all new cabins next year.
Hearsay or an Official source?
multiple sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak.
Hearsay
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

snoloco wrote:Zero chance. They just put in a new loading platform at the bottom that would need to be completely redone as new cabins would have to be level boarding and ADA compliant.

The K1 cabins are in really rough shape due to how many hours that lift has. The Skyeship is older but the cabins are in better condition since it doesn't run nearly as many hours.

If they did get new cabins they would likely be Sigma Diamond model like Stratton's still relatively new cabins as that company is owned by Leitner Poma. The cabins on there now are CWA and they are now owned by Doppelmayr.
Exact replacements to the tune of $15K each.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Sign me up for a new lawn ornament.
ImageImageImageImage
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

I have not been on a single K1 ride where a customer said "These cabins suck". But almost every ride I hear "This lift sucks". I do not think that the cabins needs replacing, it is the mechanisms for opening/closing the doors that are a contributor to the frequent stops in nice weather.

Hard to imagine why they would be forced to buy all new fresh fiberglass & plexiglass cabins when it is the attached mechanisms that hurt.

If they buy new cabins (big bucks at $15K per) and forego the South Ridge, there should be a riot and public boycott. I certainly hope that they are not $15K each. Maybe $5K? Still a lot of money per unit. Maybe it is more than just the cabin, but the supporting hanger and door mechanisms in one complete package. $15K still seems high. You can buy a brand new car with high tech engine, transmission, electrical/braking/interior/frame/body for that kind of dough. Lift industry must be raking it in.

Anyone know how many K1 cabins constitute a full line? Just 65 cabins comes to a million at $15K per.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

cabin door mechanism is very simple, a cable which is pressed at the close rod activating the door pistons. If the door piston or cable get moisture they become stiff and simply kink or compress but the door doesn't close causing the stopping. The cable is probably very cheap but the door pistons are probably a costly item. Boats use that type of cable and rod for steerage.
Last edited by Dr. NO on Feb 12th, '18, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

da Pimp wrote:I have not been on a single K1 ride where a customer said "These cabins suck". But almost every ride I hear "This lift sucks". I do not think that the cabins needs replacing, it is the mechanisms for opening/closing the doors that are a contributor to the frequent stops in nice weather.

Hard to imagine why they would be forced to buy all new fresh fiberglass & plexiglass cabins when it is the attached mechanisms that hurt.

If they buy new cabins (big bucks at $15K per) and forego the South Ridge, there should be a riot and public boycott. I certainly hope that they are not $15K each. Maybe $5K? Still a lot of money per unit. Maybe it is more than just the cabin, but the supporting hanger and door mechanisms in one complete package. $15K still seems high. You can buy a brand new car with high tech engine, transmission, electrical/braking/interior/frame/body for that kind of dough. Lift industry must be raking it in.

Anyone know how many K1 cabins constitute a full line? Just 65 cabins comes to a million at $15K per.
Cabins alone.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

It's more. 35k per cabin is what CWA charges. Sigma might be cheaper but I don't know.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Nice, eh?

https://liftblog.com/gondola-stowe-vt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters