Killington's Impending Infrastructure Collapse

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Killington's Impending Infrastructure Collapse

Post by Mister Moose »

Why not put an ambassador organizing groups at the busy mazes on Saturdays?
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I thought this was odd that on Saturday no one was organizing the mazes. Sunday at Okemo, they had 2 people organizing the bubble chair mazes. The other lifts didn't need them.

Seems like they need it at Ramshead 4, K1, and Skypeak 4. If ticket scanning was more efficient that would regulate the others. At least in my small sampling size over the years.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I think the problem is they don't have enough employees to do everything.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Mister Moose wrote:Why not put an ambassador organizing groups at the busy mazes on Saturdays?

That's stupid - then they wouldn't be able to ski around the hill by themselves.....Or stand next to the ski patrol guys waving people away while they load people on the sled, or hand out trail maps at K1 and Snowshed in the morning, or tell people how to find the easiest way down when they come off the gondola at the peak.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Believe it or not, those ambassador chores are appreciated by a lot of the customers and the ambassadors add value doing them.

But for sure there are too many ambassadors hanging around the base areas holding doors for people. Its a great idea to put them at the 3 or 4 chairs that really need liftline control during the peak periods of the day. Plus they are good at answering all sorts of questions.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

wow...proof again that a lil knowledge IS a dangerous thing. The Vt State labor Board?..has actually been kept somewhat at arms length over what they perceive as a PAID persona tasks...over a VOLUNTEERS duties. ( yes...I wore an Amb coat years ago...) State O'Verdmont went sh*t when we were corraling/quading at Ramshead years back...same for any number of ancillary motions. When Powdr had Amb's doing the paper signoff/hold harmless at first seasons rides up K1?.. state said this was NOT a volunteer thing. Theyre right...let Powdr dig into their scrimy pockets and pony up....
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote:wow...proof again that a lil knowledge IS a dangerous thing. The Vt State labor Board?..has actually been kept somewhat at arms length over what they perceive as a PAID persona tasks...over a VOLUNTEERS duties. ( yes...I wore an Amb coat years ago...) State O'Verdmont went sh*t when we were corraling/quading at Ramshead years back...same for any number of ancillary motions. When Powdr had Amb's doing the paper signoff/hold harmless at first seasons rides up K1?.. state said this was NOT a volunteer thing. Theyre right...let Powdr dig into their scrimy pockets and pony up....
At least now I understand why they are generally useless.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote:wow...proof again that a lil knowledge IS a dangerous thing. The Vt State labor Board?..has actually been kept somewhat at arms length over what they perceive as a PAID persona tasks...over a VOLUNTEERS duties. ( yes...I wore an Amb coat years ago...) State O'Verdmont went sh*t when we were corraling/quading at Ramshead years back...same for any number of ancillary motions. When Powdr had Amb's doing the paper signoff/hold harmless at first seasons rides up K1?.. state said this was NOT a volunteer thing. Theyre right...let Powdr dig into their scrimy pockets and pony up....
ambassadors get a "free" pass and other perks in exchange for services, so I'm not sure they actually "volunteer"... but...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

and the State O'Vermont..says it is NOT to be regarded as any form of remuneration. Even the seasons pass...does NOT " belong" to the user..it is classified as a "loaner"...no lines get blurred here whatsoever.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote:and the State O'Vermont..says it is NOT to be regarded as any form of remuneration. Even the seasons pass...does NOT " belong" to the user..it is classified as a "loaner"...no lines get blurred here whatsoever.
there ya have it..
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
free2skiinVT
Beginner On Rentals

Post by free2skiinVT »

Mister Moose wrote:Why not put an ambassador organizing groups at the busy mazes on Saturdays?
Ambassadors were instructed to organize the masses during certain powder days...I recall one at snowdon quad.

Saturdays would be better spent organizing then standing at Rams head and Snowdon waving hello and holding doors. They should indeed be on the slopes and at the lifts keeping order.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

madhatter wrote:
yiddle on da fiddle wrote:and the State O'Vermont..says it is NOT to be regarded as any form of remuneration. Even the seasons pass...does NOT " belong" to the user..it is classified as a "loaner"...no lines get blurred here whatsoever.
there ya have it..
So we don't buy seasons passes? We just borrow them or is it leasing them?
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote:and the State O'Vermont..says it is NOT to be regarded as any form of remuneration.
When I was in college, one of our lacrosse goalies used to tell us how he got "enumerated" before practice...meaning orally pleasured by a co-ed. Is this what remuneration means in this case?
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

What is the State of VT worried about, loosing income tax revenue? They sound like a union trying to control who does what!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Big Bob wrote:What is the State of VT worried about, loosing income tax revenue? They sound like a union trying to control who does what!
I would guess it's about preserving paying jobs for their local citizens. Unions do it for the same reasons - preserving work for their members.

Ambassadors have to be classified as volunteers because a season pass and similar perks are not considered wages, so if Ambassadors were considered employees K would be violating minimum wage and other labor laws (like payroll tax, etc).