Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Re: Killington's Impending Infrastructure Collapse

Post by Kpdemello »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
madhatter wrote:
yiddle on da fiddle wrote:and the State O'Vermont..says it is NOT to be regarded as any form of remuneration. Even the seasons pass...does NOT " belong" to the user..it is classified as a "loaner"...no lines get blurred here whatsoever.
there ya have it..
So we don't buy seasons passes? We just borrow them or is it leasing them?
A pass is exactly what the name implies - a limited license to use Killington's lifts and terrain. So you pay for access under certain terms and conditions, and that access expires when your pass expires (i.e. the mountain closes). It's why you also have to get an uphill pass even though the cost is zero or nominal - K doesn't let people use their resources without agreeing to their terms.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

If an ambassador gets hurt while "volunteering", can they get workman's comp or do they have to take care of medical expenses on their own?
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

daytripper wrote:If an ambassador gets hurt while "volunteering", can they get workman's comp or do they have to take care of medical expenses on their own?
Not as easy an answer as you might think and I'm no expert in VT workman's comp law but workman's comp would probably not cover a volunteer.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Kpdemello wrote:
daytripper wrote:If an ambassador gets hurt while "volunteering", can they get workman's comp or do they have to take care of medical expenses on their own?
Not as easy an answer as you might think and I'm no expert in VT workman's comp law but workman's comp would probably not cover a volunteer.
Technically they are getting compensated with a free season pass?
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

oy....OK:...again:...the KMA gang....are NOT compensated. Directly...INdirectly....from port or starboard.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote:oy....OK:...again:...the KMA gang....are NOT compensated. Directly...INdirectly....from port or starboard.
actually there IS compensation, it;s simply not treated as compensation legally... so as it pertains to ambassadors you are correct, however if you were to make a donation to the red cross or other non -profit and received the equivalent of a pass in exchange it would NOT be considered a charitable contribution because you had been compensated for your donation ...

without a doubt there is a quid pro quo there...in both instances...but it's the legal definition that matters here...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

It would be fair to temper my disdain for the poorly maintained Killington lift system with someone else's angst. I was at Cannon on Thursday. At lunchtime the Peabody HSQ right in front of their main base lodge stopped for about half an hour, lift was 80% full on a powder day, and eventually they got everyone off with the backup diesel power. Lift stayed closed the rest of the day. Crappy things do happen elsewhere, too.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Didn't someone post awhile back about an ambassador who got hurt and had to sue to get workers comp?

Found it!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41964&p=580906&hili ... mp#p580906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employers usually pay for comp based on a rate of $X/ $100.00 of payroll, based on what the employee does. I am not sure how it works when it is a zero dollar pay scale.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

In an attempt to get this back on topic:

What's with all the "Do Not Use" cabins on the K1? I would think they would be an embarressment to the K when their guests see them going by. Especially when there's a lift line (almost always) and you see empty cabins go by.

How bout that creaky chair #85 on the North Ridge Triple? Anyone else noted that?
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Captain Hafski wrote:In an attempt to get this back on topic:

What's with all the "Do Not Use" cabins on the K1? I would think they would be an embarressment to the K when their guests see them going by. Especially when there's a lift line (almost always) and you see empty cabins go by.

How bout that creaky chair #85 on the North Ridge Triple? Anyone else noted that?
. . . and, how about the ripped seats on Needles - think chairs 16/17 - like sitting on a huge wet sponge - nice!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

MrsG wrote:
Captain Hafski wrote:In an attempt to get this back on topic:

. . . and, how about the ripped seats on Needles - think chairs 16/17 - like sitting on a huge wet sponge - nice!!
At least do what people do with ski clothing - slap some duct tape on the rip and keep using. :banana:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Believe me .. you wouldn't want them to open the door on a few of those cabins. :shock:
If they grease chair #85 or the towers, people will b!tch about grease staining their parka.

Uphill travel passes can be an excellent value :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

I’m not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, but K1 is getting all new cabins next year.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Woodsrider wrote:I’m not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, but K1 is getting all new cabins next year.
Sure it is, and we are getting a new South ridge lift too.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Woodsrider wrote:I’m not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, but K1 is getting all new cabins next year.
Hearsay or an Official source?