Snowmaking/Operating Strategy Outlook - Ongoing Thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Snowboardgod
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Snowmaking/Operating Strategy Outlook - Ongoing Thread

Post by Snowboardgod »

Did a pipe dream run today, there is a LOT of natural snow to work w over there. Hiked around and there were drifts waist deep in spots. Guns running down near trax over past the back of superstar/skye and down towards bear... not going to take much on top of what is there already...
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Skyeburst - Lower
http://www.killington.com/site/mountain ... ons/trails

What they are saying in the Conditions Report page, isn't exactly matching up with what is showing on the Trails and Lifts page...
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Looks like they plan on blowing the superpipe soon. So much snow for such a small percentage of customers that use it. Do they have any competitions on it planned? Will we get any snow on the fiddle this year?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

daytripper wrote:Looks like they plan on blowing the superpipe soon. So much snow for such a small percentage of customers that use it. Do they have any competitions on it planned? Will we get any snow on the fiddle this year?
they've been making snow on the superpipe. look up grizzly. they usually push those huge piles down.

i'm sure the fiddle would have been in the next batch after double dipper & downdraft but hope is fading after another resurface job this weekend and yet another thaw next week. starting tuesday we have a week of marginal snowmaking weather.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Snow making most of the length of OL today (Friday). Saturday should be good.

Late afternoon saw a cat starting to move snow for the Super Pipe. Lots of snow above it that needs to be pushed down. Residents of Sunrise will be to sleeping to the sounds of Diesel for a while.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

rogman wrote:
Late afternoon saw a cat starting to move snow for the Super Pipe.
What a ridiculous waste of snowmaking resources ! :evil: :evil: :evil:
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Waste of resources? Perhaps. I honestly feel like it is Killington checking a box (Super pipe? Check!) rather than part of an overall business strategy. This is why I have that opinion:

First: It basically isn't open until the end of January, and is done about 2 months later when Bear closes. It misses both Christmas and MLK. Always. For a resort with a 6 month season seems a bit paltry. I could say the same about the stash.

Second: it faces south. Now I genuinely don't know, but it seems like that's the wrong direction. Shouldn't it face North? Seems like the sun load would create problems. Icing? Seriously: someone with expertise explain why it should face north, south, whatever.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

rogman wrote:Waste of resources? Perhaps. I honestly feel like it is Killington checking a box (Super pipe? Check!) rather than part of an overall business strategy. This is why I have that opinion:

First: It basically isn't open until the end of January, and is done about 2 months later when Bear closes. It misses both Christmas and MLK. Always. For a resort with a 6 month season seems a bit paltry. I could say the same about the stash.

Second: it faces south. Now I genuinely don't know, but it seems like that's the wrong direction. Shouldn't it face North? Seems like the sun load would create problems. Icing? Seriously: someone with expertise explain why it should face north, south, whatever.
It was an available spot that had good viewing for the Dew Tour, remember that? Otherwise, use the snowmaking horsepower and budget to resurface. With climate change and normal New England weather swings, resurfacing is needed often!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Good point on it's facing south. To add to that, I always found that the pipers left side conditions varied tremendously as it gets the afternoon sun. On a warm sunny day, it was much softer than the other side. At other times, it was icier than the other side due to the increased thaw freeze cycles.

Woulda thought it would be better for both sides to be the same (like a NE location).
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

There are 2 pipes that make sense at K.
One you carry, the other is at Ramshead.
The scar from Highline Pipe is still unhealed.
Waste of resources .. only 1% can clear a pipe rim. :lol:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

brownman wrote:There are 2 pipes that make sense at K.
One you carry, the other is at Ramshead.
The scar from Highline Pipe is still unhealed.
Waste of resources .. only 1% can clear a pipe rim. :lol:

:Toast
MrG cleared the Bear one several years ago - scared the bejeesus out of me
:mrgreen: I was skiing down the side - wimped on the pipe I guess, and he came out right above me - wished I had a photo :wink:
Bumper

Post by 180 »

So is any more snow going to be made on SS this year. I remember March 1 shutdown last year. If not, we are in deep doo doo
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

K can't expect to sell many spring passes if the guns aren't turned back on.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

There's hoses out from tower 7 up. This week's Drift talks about blowing more on Superstar. That's the good news.

There's not much cold in sight and the build on Supe to date is visibly way lower than previous years. We need a solid week of 20 degree days. Will March provide it?

It might be time to buy Mike a cigar and call in....
The A Team.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Lots of cold nights in the March forecast. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/killin ... r=3/1/2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;