Mosher court date

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Re: Mosher court date

Post by ANGUS »

I can't believe any select board would give a person this kind of opportunity. It seems wholly inappropriate. Will she be doing the talk show circuit next ? Is she trying to push for zoning so Mosher can't have livestock? First they want your money to live there. Then they want your guns because you can't be trusted with them. Now you can't have livestock. What's next? Will they take away my skis? I guess common sense is extinct.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

ANGUS wrote:I can't believe any select board would give a person this kind of opportunity. It seems wholly inappropriate. Will she be doing the talk show circuit next ? Is she trying to push for zoning so Mosher can't have livestock? First they want your money to live there. Then they want your guns because you can't be trusted with them. Now you can't have livestock. What's next? Will they take away my skis? I guess common sense is extinct.
Could someone on the Select Board have their own agenda vs Mosher ?

Makes you wonder.

Does the Select Board have a lawyer at every meeting ?
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

SnoBrdr wrote:
ANGUS wrote:I can't believe any select board would give a person this kind of opportunity. It seems wholly inappropriate. Will she be doing the talk show circuit next ? Is she trying to push for zoning so Mosher can't have livestock? First they want your money to live there. Then they want your guns because you can't be trusted with them. Now you can't have livestock. What's next? Will they take away my skis? I guess common sense is extinct.

Makes you wonder.

No lawyer for the Board, although there are sometimes lawyers in the audience. As for some hidden agenda, that is highly doubtful. The chair wrote a personal letter to the Mountain Times supporting Craig.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Bubba wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Makes you wonder.

No lawyer for the Board, although there are sometimes lawyers in the audience. As for some hidden agenda, that is highly doubtful. The chair wrote a personal letter to the Mountain Times supporting Craig.
Butt there are 3 people on the Board and why would they even entertain the idea of her speaking.

While it is a public meeting, this was totally inappropriate on both her part and on the part of the Board.

Any idea if any one on either the Board or the audience objected in any way?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Bubba wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Makes you wonder.

Butt there are 3 people on the Board and why would they even entertain the idea of her speaking.

While it is a public meeting, this was totally inappropriate on both her part and on the part of the Board.

Any idea if any one on either the Board or the audience objected in any way?
I wasn't there and there's nothing in the minutes to indicate an objection from anyone. It's possible that the Board was surprised and simply didn't know how to react. I suspect there will be some comments to the Board either publicly at the next meeting or at least privately about the appropriateness of what occurred. Several people who post here on occasion are at least semi-regular attendees. Hopefully one of them will comment.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
ndscaper
Green Skidder

Post by ndscaper »

I was at that meeting. Apparently Ms. Bellis requested beforehand to be allowed to present her statement. My feeling is that the chairwoman felt she had no choice because 1.) she wrote a letter to the editor supporting Craig which she signed as a Select Board member, and 2.) she allowed discussion of Mosher's plight from his perspective at a previous meeting. I don't necessarily agree with that because during the initial discussion on May 19 only efforts to support Craig were brought up, not the prosecutor's case or Craig's defense.

In a letter to the editor in this week's Mountain Times Rich Kropp wrote;
"At the Killington select board meeting, Tuesday, June 21, Ms. Kathryn Bellis whose husband was killed in an accident involving Craig Mosher’s bull July 31, 2015, was allowed to speak at the meeting during citizens input. What she said was for the most part a direct quote, from the letter that appeared in the The Mountain Times and Rutland Herald.
After the meeting concluded, I approached the Chairwoman and asked why Ms. Bellis was allowed to read her speech, which was included in the minutes of the meeting.
Her reply was that Ms. Bellis was a resident of Killington and allowed to speak during citizens input.
But, upon checking with the town office I learned that the Bellis family are NOT residents of Killington, Rutland County or the state of Vermont. When the select board allowed that speech to be read at the meeting, it gives the appearance that our town leaders may have served to promote Ms Bellis’ agenda to prosecute Craig Mosher. Not only that, I learned that Ms. Bellis has written letters to several of our towns employees promoting her case against Craig.
While we all feel sympathy for Ms Bellis’ loss of her husband, I would think it would be in the towns best interests to have our select board tend to our towns business, and leave what would be a legal matter to those who are qualified and involved."

More importantly:

Monday, Jul. 11 at 3:00 PM in Room 2
State vs. Mosher, Craig
363-4-16 Rdcr/Criminal
Status Conference
Plaintiff, State (Rosemary M. Kennedy)
Defendant, Craig Mosher (Paul S. Volk)
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

These are criminal proceedings ... yes?
Seems Bellis may be inclined to bring a civil action against Mo.

Ridiculous.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
ndscaper
Green Skidder

Post by ndscaper »

brownman wrote:These are criminal proceedings ... yes?
Seems Bellis may be inclined to bring a civil action against Mo.

Ridiculous.

:Toast
The civil proceeding has already taken place and settled. Ms. Bellis wants Mosher to pay ...and pay.....and pay.......
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Update:

Very quiet since this summer's brief status conference. Apparently depositions are being taken, and little else will move forward until that phase is complete.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Mister Moose wrote:Update:

Very quiet since this summer's brief status conference. Apparently depositions are being taken, and little else will move forward until that phase is complete.
They don't take depositions in a criminal case.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Vt Digger article: change of plea.

https://vtdigger.org/2017/04/03/possibl ... oose-bull/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Big Bob wrote:Vt Digger article: change of plea.

https://vtdigger.org/2017/04/03/possibl ... oose-bull/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ya that was in the Herald last week in conjunction of a bill introduced along these lines.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

RUTLAND, Vt. -
Inside a Rutland courtroom, we heard a truck driver's 911 call and the warning he tried to give the owner of a loose bull found on Route 4.

"I went and woke him up. But, you know, I don't know how dangerous the things is or aggressive-- if it wanders back up road, somebody's going to die," Jeffrey Herrick said in the 911 call.

Somebody did die when a Connecticut couple's car crashed into the Scottish Highlander. Driver Jon Bellis, 62, died on the scene. His wife, Kathryn Barry, survived.

"The facts are clear before you. This was not an accident. It was a crash. And it is not about agriculture, Vermont and the community of Killington. It is about one man, with questionable intelligence and no common sense, who kept doing the same thing, the same way and expected to get the same results," Barry said.

Craig Mosher of Killington owned the 1,800-pound bull which allegedly got out because of a bent wire in the fence.

Judge Cortland Corsones: Do you agree that your actions did constitute reckless endangerment in this matter?

Craig Mosher: Yes, yes sir.

Despite a guilty plea as part of a deal with the state, Mosher's defense attorney placed some blame on Bellis, alleging he was speeding.

"Was traveling at somewhere between 60 to 64 miles per hour at the time of the crash and had not applied the brakes in any attempt to avoid the animal," said Paul Volk, Mosher's lawyer.

The judge disagreed and told Bellis' wife her husband was not in any way at fault for the crash. That sparked concern for attending farmers about the precedent it could set for livestock owners.

"This is a first and it has national implications," said Ray Duquette of the Vermont Farm Bureau.

Rutland County State's Attorney Rose Kennedy said this is not an attack on all farmers.

"Where there's a pattern of not taking care of someone or not following the warnings that an animal is getting loose and someone gets hurt, the state should be prosecuting. My belief is that was the right move in this case," Kennedy said.

Mosher will not spend time behind bars. Instead, he'll serve a 6-12 month sentence on probation, perform 50 hours of community service and will be required to upgrade his fence.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

Mosher may otherwise be a good guy but I have no sympathy for him with how this case played out... if my father or family member struck a bull (and was found to not be driving recklessly or with negligence) you bet I would go after him for not tending to his fence or finding that bull... I work construction and am a property manager so I am on call for emergencies, going back to bed was his choice and his irresponsibility cost life.. want to have big livestock adjacent to the only route to a big tourist destination? Stay on top of your fence and your livestock...
Ski It If You Can!..
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Its sad but Mosher had to admit to the judge his culpability in the death of a guy just driving down the road who lost his life due to his actions. It could have been any one of us who drive down that road so many times and we all just got lucky. Having custody of an 1800 pound animal is a responsibility that has a zero failure rate due to the potential consequences. Wrong place wrong time but a situation that could have been avoided. You can get away with being sloppy in your many lifes choices for only so long but once enough time goes by the laws of averages call your number and you pay the price. The "but he was speeding" crap was BS but I think we would all be soul searching for a way out of that mess to defer the horrible guilt he must feel. He will have to live with that the rest of his life. I hope he can get over it he did not want this to happen in any way.