World Cup Race: 144 hours of snowmaking

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

World Cup Race: 144 hours of snowmaking

Post by Highway Star »

There is going to be very limited skiing available to the public before December.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40816" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Highway Star wrote:The people running Killington are on crack.

What about in 2006 when Killington didn't open until Thanksgiving Day, or 2009 when they were closed all of Thanksgiving weekend? What about the DEW TOUR held in January being a huge drain on resources? They will need to blow in excess of 100 acre feet of snow by Thanksgiving week to pull this off, which is something they can only do only 50% of the time.

POWDR is run by a bunch of morons.
Highway Star wrote:
daytripper wrote:Sounds great to me as I am never up thanksgiving weekend, but I can just imagine how crazy it will be on the limited terrain. Also They would have to blow a ton of snow on SS so that there is no chance it will melt out in a thaw, will that be taking away from other early season snowmaking? They like to blow the glacier when it is perfect snowmaking conditions and this would force them to blow it in less than stellar conditions making it much more expensive.
This is PURE INSANITY, what they are considering doing. It's either going to fail completely, or there's going to be extremely limited skiing for the public in November. The public / online backlash is going to cost them far more than any positive publicity they could possibly get out of it.

------
Edit:

Well, put this to the BS test then....

Superstar is 3400ft long, and roughly 200ft wide, 300ft wide at the bottom. Lets call it 15 acres. They need to put down roughly 5 feet of snow to get the base depths required to groom the hill nice and flat.....trust me, race teams will not be happy if they keep shanking rocks. So that's 75 acre feet of snow. About what it would take to get the northridge triple open and a snowdon route open, with decent but marginal coverage, to the bottom of the K-1. They have to make all this snow by around Nov 20th, the weekend prior, so they can get the hill prepped and allow some training on it.

Now, without getting into the details of the low-e snowguns, which are FAR less effective than old style snowguns at marginal temps..........what has Killington's past performance been like? Well, some years they do great, and have the snowdon route plus many other trails open by thanksgiving, say 150 acre feet of snow (after melting) by Nov. 20th - this is the max. The average is probably somewhere around 100 acre-ft after melting by Nov 20th, enough to get open top to bottom on the K-1, plus a few more trails. In a poor year, they have just a few trails open off the northridge triple, or are closed entirely, with only 10-20 acre feet of snow on the ground.

Now what about this race? They are contractually commited to host it and if they can't pull it off, they stand to loose a pile of money. Hopefully they have insurance for this sort of thing. Lets compare senarios based on past winters - each of these happen about a third of the time:

Cold November: No problem, race happens, skiing for public likely on other trails off superstar chairs, plus K-1, NRT and Snowdon.

Average November: Race draws most snowmaking resouces for first half of November. Superstar might be open to public for first half of November. Snowmaking on K-1 / NRT starts once Superstar looks to be in good shape, public skiing only on NRT for Thanksgiving weekend (45 minute lift lines).

Warm, rainy November: Snowmaking focused entirely on Superstar, during small overnight windows of snowmaking, with several r*in events melting snow. No public skiing on Thanksgiving weekend.

So, by my estimates they have a 2/3rd's chance of having either NO public skiing, or skiing on the NRT only for Thanksgiving - both of those are pretty bad senarios.

This is not even taking into account the chances of an ice storm, major r*in storm, or 70F thaw the week of the event.

EPIC FAIL!
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Big Bob
Postinator

Re: World Cup Race: 144 hours of snowmaking

Post by Big Bob »

Highway Star wrote:There is going to be very limited skiing available to the public before December.

What about in 2006 when Killington didn't open until Thanksgiving Day, or 2009 when they were closed all of Thanksgiving weekend? What about the DEW TOUR held in January being a huge drain on resources? They will need to blow in excess of 100 acre feet of snow by Thanksgiving week to pull this off, which is something they can only do only 50% of the time.

Highway Star wrote:
daytripper wrote:Sounds great to me as I am never up thanksgiving weekend, but I can just imagine how crazy it will be on the limited terrain. Also They would have to blow a ton of snow on SS so that there is no chance it will melt out in a thaw, will that be taking away from other early season snowmaking? They like to blow the glacier when it is perfect snowmaking conditions and this would force them to blow it in less than stellar conditions making it much more expensive.
This is PURE INSANITY, what they are considering doing. It's either going to fail completely, or there's going to be extremely limited skiing for the public in November. The public / online backlash is going to cost them far more than any positive publicity they could possibly get out of it.

------
Edit:

Superstar is 3400ft long, and roughly 200ft wide, 300ft wide at the bottom. Lets call it 15 acres. They need to put down roughly 5 feet of snow to get the base depths required to groom the hill nice and flat.....trust me, race teams will not be happy if they keep shanking rocks. So that's 75 acre feet of snow. About what it would take to get the northridge triple open and a snowdon route open, with decent but marginal coverage, to the bottom of the K-1. They have to make all this snow by around Nov 20th, the weekend prior, so they can get the hill prepped and allow some training on it.

Now, without getting into the details of the low-e snowguns, which are FAR less effective than old style snowguns at marginal temps..........what has Killington's past performance been like? Well, some years they do great, and have the snowdon route plus many other trails open by thanksgiving, say 150 acre feet of snow (after melting) by Nov. 20th - this is the max. The average is probably somewhere around 100 acre-ft after melting by Nov 20th, enough to get open top to bottom on the K-1, plus a few more trails. In a poor year, they have just a few trails open off the northridge triple, or are closed entirely, with only 10-20 acre feet of snow on the ground.

Now what about this race? They are contractually commited to host it and if they can't pull it off, they stand to loose a pile of money. Hopefully they have insurance for this sort of thing. Lets compare senarios based on past winters - each of these happen about a third of the time:

Cold November: No problem, race happens, skiing for public likely on other trails off superstar chairs, plus K-1, NRT and Snowdon.

Average November: Race draws most snowmaking resouces for first half of November. Superstar might be open to public for first half of November. Snowmaking on K-1 / NRT starts once Superstar looks to be in good shape, public skiing only on NRT for Thanksgiving weekend (45 minute lift lines).

Warm, rainy November: Snowmaking focused entirely on Superstar, during small overnight windows of snowmaking, with several r*in events melting snow. No public skiing on Thanksgiving weekend.

So, by my estimates they have a 2/3rd's chance of having either NO public skiing, or skiing on the NRT only for Thanksgiving - both of those are pretty bad senarios.

This is not even taking into account the chances of an ice storm, major r*in storm, or 70F thaw the week of the event.

EPIC FAIL!
And why should you even care, you bought a Sugarbush pass. You are now Wins problem!

And why condone them for stepping up to the plate for trying! The world would never advance if people with big gonnads didn't try.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

So this can go one of two ways:

1. The weather allows enough snowmaking to hold the World Cup. We get to participate in an exciting, different, buzz filled crowded weekend.

2. The weather doesn't allow sufficient snowmaking and the World Cup is cancelled. Skiing is limited to the Glades and GN, and there's some useless snow on Superstar. Snowshed or Ramshead is not open as a result. Did that already last year, and we grudgingly survived.

We know early season they are air limited. We know they are bringing in some number of additional compressors, so the additional snow on Superstar will not draw a 100% in kind reduction from other areas.

Even if the odds are as low as 50/50, it's worth a try. Let's see how many fan guns and compressors they bring in.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Big Bob wrote:
Highway Star wrote:There is going to be very limited skiing available to the public before December.

Highway Star wrote:

------
Edit:

EPIC FAIL!
And why should you even care, you bought a Sugarbush pass. You are now Wins problem!

And why condone them for stepping up to the plate for trying! The world would never advance if people with big gonnads didn't try.
:roll:

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

its a good question why don't you answer it?

For a dude that appears to hate Killington, and basically everything, you sure are a wimp when you are called out. I don't even need to summon Hatter to confirm this...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

jimmywilson69 wrote:its a good question why don't you answer it?

For a dude that appears to hate Killington, and basically everything, you sure are a wimp when you are called out. I don't even need to summon Hatter to confirm this...

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Big Bob wrote:And why should you even care, you bought a Sugarbush pass. You are now Wins problem!

And why condone them for stepping up to the plate for trying!

The world would never advance if people with big gonnads didn't try.
1. Who says I didn't buy a Killington Pass?

2. con·done

/kənˈdōn/

verb

verb: condone; 3rd person present: condones; past tense: condoned; past participle: condoned; gerund or present participle: condoning

accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.
"the college cannot condone any behavior that involves illicit drugs"

synonyms: disregard, accept, allow, let pass, turn a blind eye to, overlook, forget; More
forgive, pardon, excuse, let go

"we cannot condone such dreadful behavior"

antonyms: condemn

•approve or sanction (something), especially with reluctance.
"the practice is not officially condoned by any airline"

3. The world would be much less interesting if morons didn't do stupid things. Like offer to host World Cup comps in November, or Dew Tour in January. It's got a good chance of messing up the skiing at Killington for a month, if not longer. This comes from POWDR who has a long, rich history of poor management and poor, ill-considered and uninformed decisions. I fully expect them to fail, screw us, and blame Killington.

steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Highway Star wrote:
Big Bob wrote:And why should you even care, you bought a Sugarbush pass. You are now Wins problem!

Well then you must have bought two passes since you already told us you bought a Sugarbush pass.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41841&p=578041#p578041
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

steamboat1 wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

Well then you must have bought two passes since you already told us you bought a Sugarbush pass.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Highway Star on Jun 27th, '16, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Highway Star wrote:

And why condone them for stepping up to the plate for trying!

The world would never advance if people with big gonnads didn't try.

3. The world would be much less interesting if morons didn't do stupid things. Like offer to host World Cup comps in November, or Dew Tour in January. It's got a good chance of messing up the skiing at Killington for a month, if not longer. This comes from POWDR who has a long, rich history of poor management and poor, ill-considered and uninformed decisions. I fully expect them to fail, screw us, and blame Killington.
still not sure why you continue to ski at killington since they only bring you unhappiness ...

the weather certainly is a major roll of the dice. if k wins, then major bragging rights and good things "could" ripple through the resort. if things go poorly, then you get to say i told you so. whoopee, do you think anyone cares. others will say nice try and accept the fact that they had a 50/50 chance of it working. and for the most part, by the time we really get into the season, it'll be long forgotten.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

steamboat1 wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

he said he was a good skier too, clearly he's delusional and has no idea wtf he says from one minute to the next...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

madhatter wrote:
steamboat1 wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

he said he was a good skier too, clearly he's delusional and has no idea wtf he says from one minute to the next...
I'm a far better skier than you've ever been, short stuff.

roundabout
Bumper

Post by roundabout »

Does anyone on here recall when Superstar opened in 1992, because on 10/31/92, they where making snow on it TTB as well as on Snowshed. If memory serves me correct, I think it opened on 11/11/92.

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

roundabout wrote:Does anyone on here recall when Superstar opened in 1992, because on 10/31/92, they where making snow on it TTB as well as on Snowshed. If memory serves me correct, I think it opened on 11/11/92.

In 1992, Killington was getting a million skier visits a year, fuel was ~50% of today's cost, and that's certainly not enough snow to hold a world cup race on.

roundabout
Bumper

Post by roundabout »

Highway Star wrote:
roundabout wrote:Does anyone on here recall when Superstar opened in 1992, because on 10/31/92, they where making snow on it TTB as well as on Snowshed. If memory serves me correct, I think it opened on 11/11/92.

In 1992, Killington was getting a million skier visits a year, fuel was ~50% of today's cost, and that's certainly not enough snow to hold a world cup race on.
The pictures where taken about 6 hours after snowmaking had started on both Superstar and Snowshed. What does skiers visits have to do with early season snowmaking attempts?