Impact of New Mt Bike Trails on Glade Skiing

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

throbster
Postaholic

Impact of New Mt Bike Trails on Glade Skiing

Post by throbster »

I did a little hiking this weekend and I am concerned about what the new mountain bike trails will do to glade skiing. "Sideshow Bob" cuts across Scarecrow, Tin Man, Patsy's, Low Rider and other unnamed glades. Probably not a big deal, but some of the high bank switchbacks and new glade drop-in places will likely affect the skiing. Thoughts?
Attachments
Mt Bike.jpg
Mt Bike.jpg (166.45 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Impact of New Mt Bike Trails on Glade Skiing

Post by skiadikt »

same thought occurred to me. while my faves are off anarchy ridge and bear, consider the trees in the snowdon bowl my go-to runs especially since those other trees are not always skiable.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

recon pics from july reposted from the bike thread...
madhatter wrote:Ramshead recon mission july 16th...

new offload for rams chair

skiers right top of rams

scarecrow from frolic

heading down thru scarecrow

looking down "woodstove" from caper

looking back up from same spot

along vale trail taken from @ the vale lot entrance

BIG loop from snowshed, up to the peak and back down to snowshed via snowdon and rams...seriously awesome new trails, some real big hits and features in there that will probably be fun for many in winter too...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

throbster wrote:I did a little hiking this weekend and I am concerned about what the new mountain bike trails will do to glade skiing. "Sideshow Bob" cuts across Scarecrow, Tin Man, Patsy's, Low Rider and other unnamed glades. Probably not a big deal, but some of the high bank switchbacks and new glade drop-in places will likely affect the skiing. Thoughts?
Looks like some rollers and wide open areas.....I don't see a problem with that.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

It's just gonna be different. Looking forward to the winter changes...
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Highway Star wrote:
throbster wrote:I did a little hiking this weekend and I am concerned about what the new mountain bike trails will do to glade skiing. "Sideshow Bob" cuts across Scarecrow, Tin Man, Patsy's, Low Rider and other unnamed glades. Probably not a big deal, but some of the high bank switchbacks and new glade drop-in places will likely affect the skiing. Thoughts?
Looks like some rollers and wide open areas.....I don't see a problem with that.
it's going to make that area a lot more fun for some, a lot less fun for others and far more accessible for everyone...easy zip down sideshow bob gets you right in to all those woods that were not quite so obvious before....makes ramshead lift a bit more useful too.... a significant number of trees were removed from that area...it's far more like an open park setting...goatskull goes straight down the fall line for the most part, that will be fun too...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
klondick
Black Carver

Post by klondick »

They are very fun trails on a bike... Can't wait for the winter.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

RENO wrote:It's just gonna be different. Looking forward to the winter changes...
...Room for everyone in da sandbox....a good winter dump and a lil drifting?....youll never know whats lurking underneath....hell....beats wide open , carpeted boulevards anyday....
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote:
RENO wrote:It's just gonna be different. Looking forward to the winter changes...
...Room for everyone in da sandbox....a good winter dump and a lil drifting?....youll never know whats lurking underneath....hell....beats wide open , carpeted boulevards anyday....
There's many bike trails in Patsy's, Scarecrow and Tin man that people don't even realize once they get buried by the snow. Granted, they're not quite the size of some of the new stuff.
I'm looking forward to hitting the new stuff in the winter. Even the ski home trail is more interesting for a bit now with the Blue Magic effect! :wink:
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

For the most part bike trails do not make for good skiing because the cross the fall line. But they do make for cool ski sections in the woods. A piece of open here and there. The new stuff on snowdon/Ramshead does open up quite a bit of the trees in sections and the massive berms will make sick jumps. Once it's packed out some of the new stuff will be fun to try and follow. But it's not steep enough for the most part in powder.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Easy entrances will encourage more to give it a go. Thinning and clearing always improves tree skiing. Only a few acres of our over 1900 are affected.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Easy entrances will encourage more to give it a go. Thinning and clearing always improves tree skiing. Only a few acres of our over 1900 are affected.
most of your dnf trails should be unaffected ...
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

The new high bank bike switchbacks act like the biggest waterbars you can imagine. Took out the first challenger in our group. Once they get skied up we will see if they become easier to deal with. This shot was taken were Black Magic crosses Vagabond into Patsy's making two big sweeping turns. One thing is for sure these big bike turns love to gather up the windblown snow. For now be aware of terrain change and always be smart in the trees.
Attachments
New Hazard.JPG
New Hazard.JPG (98.05 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Guy in Shorts wrote:The new high bank bike switchbacks act like the biggest waterbars you can imagine. Took out the first challenger in our group. Once they get skied up we will see if they become easier to deal with. This shot was taken were Black Magic crosses Vagabond into Patsy's making two big sweeping turns. One thing is for sure these big bike turns love to gather up the windblown snow. For now be aware of terrain change and always be smart in the trees.
maybe more like the stash now? will withhold judgement but concerned that the crossing trails & features will effect the continuous flow of the areas.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Black Magic had a lot of jumps and turns so it will definitely be different in there. I think trying to gauge the impact on the woods skiing after 12" of natural is difficult. We'll see what it looks like after much more snow and they officially open the woods. Looking forward to it! :like