Killington / Okemo Snowmobile Tours - Backcountry Tour

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Killington / Okemo Snowmobile Tours - Backcountry Tour

Post by KingsFourMan »

Plug for my VT neighbor and friend "Spike" who owns and operates Killington / Okemo Snowmobile Tours along with his partner. The snowmobiling in and around Killington and Okemo is amazing. Check him out in Plymouth on Rt 100A for the backcountry tour, you will see a side of Vermont that you have never seen before and have a blast doing it. I grew up, and still am, an obsessed skier but now love snowmobiling as much if not more than skiing. The VAST (Vermont Association of Snow Travelers) trail network is incredible and endless. If group tours are not your thing, rent a sled for the day and head out on your own. They also do tours out of the old Sunrise base lodge on the Killington trails which are great for families.

Links:

https://killingtonsnowmobiletours.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://vtvast.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Re: Killington / Okemo Snowmobile Tours - Backcountry Tour

Post by KingsFourMan »

bump. Ski in the morning and then take a back country tour in the afternoon, you will love it. Hard pack is not great for skiing but it is for snowmobiling, the VAST trails are in great shape right now in and around Killington.
noknees
Blue Chatterbox

Post by noknees »

What trails around killington? Are you hiding some VAST trails of the map? I start in Pittsfield and ride north!
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

noknees wrote:What trails around killington? Are you hiding some VAST trails of the map? I start in Pittsfield and ride north!
VAST tours start at their big barn off 100A in Bridgewater. Mountain tours start at the old Sunrise Lodge and use the old Sunrise area trails until 5PM when the snowmobiles are allowed to duck the ropes and use the Killington resort trails. Tons of fun.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
noknees
Blue Chatterbox

Post by noknees »

Can VAST registered sled ride these trails?
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

noknees wrote:Can VAST registered sled ride these trails?
I'm 99.9% certain that the old Sunrise ski trails, and especially the rest of the open Killington ski trails, are not open to all registered VAST snowmobiles but will confirm. Also, Old Sunrise and the rest of the Killington ski trails are not connected directly to VAST, the nearest points are at 100 South in Plymouth at the CCC road and on Rt 4 just west of Pico. Talked to one of the guides at Spikes Place in Plymouth yesterday and he said the VAST trails out of Plymouth have an excellent base, are riding great, and that reservations are filling up fast. Not surprising, snowmobiling the remote back county hard pack is way more fun that skiing crowded ice trails. Check it out, you will absolutely love it.

Spike's Place:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... rmont.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
noknees
Blue Chatterbox

Post by noknees »

I have my own sleds and ride from Pittsfield. Was hoping you had some insite to how to gain access to Killington trails. Like riding north to Waterbury vs riding Bridgewater and Mt Holly.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Bump for the upcoming holiday weekend. Was out all day last Thursday and Friday on the VAST trails and they are in amazing shape.

Book a tour now because they fill up fast. I highly recommend the back country tour out of Plymouth on Rt 100A but the one out of old Sunrise is great too. A bunch of buddies did the backcountry tour last weekend for the first time, had a blast, and came back all smiles.
Attachments
The Big K from many peaks away
The Big K from many peaks away
sled2.jpg (270.78 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Okemo from the VAST trail overlook
Okemo from the VAST trail overlook
sled1.jpg (158 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

With the sun setting at 5:20 and getting later everyday the Pico Sunset ride comes into play. Rental sleds are allowed to duck the ropes and use the Killington trails after 5:00. Hammering up Rams Head is a blast then up the Hershey Highway to the Pico Summit. Try to do it once a season. Really shows Killington from a different perspective.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Guy in Shorts wrote:With the sun setting at 5:20 and getting later everyday the Pico Sunset ride comes into play. Rental sleds are allowed to duck the ropes and use the Killington trails after 5:00. Hammering up Rams Head is a blast then up the Hershey Highway to the Pico Summit. Try to do it once a season. Really shows Killington from a different perspective.
Can season pass holders use their own sleds? :)
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Big Bob wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:With the sun setting at 5:20 and getting later everyday the Pico Sunset ride comes into play. Rental sleds are allowed to duck the ropes and use the Killington trails after 5:00. Hammering up Rams Head is a blast then up the Hershey Highway to the Pico Summit. Try to do it once a season. Really shows Killington from a different perspective.
Can season pass holders use their own sleds? :)
No as Killington has contracted with KST to run the operation. You must rent their sleds and go with a guide. KST also run the summer ATV mountain tours.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Can we rent sleds and go out on our own without the tour? In Maine we rented sleds for two days and went wherever we liked
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

daytripper wrote:Can we rent sleds and go out on our own without the tour? In Maine we rented sleds for two days and went wherever we liked
No, they used to do that out of their 100A location but stopped doing that a couple of years ago. The back country tours are great and the next best thing, very small groups of 3 or 4 and you can pretty much set your own pace, the guides gauge the pace based on your comfort level and like to crank it up as much if not more than anyone else.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Bump for the upcoming Christmas/New Years Holiday Week. "Killington Snowmobile Tours" is now called "Snowmobile Vermont" and now has 5 locations - Mountain Snow, Okemo, Killington at the old Sunrise base, the back country tour at "Spikes Place" out of Plymouth near Killington, and Stowe:

https://www.snowmobilevermont.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... rmont.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With snow on the ground in the flatlands and VT ski resorts off to a great start, it should be a busy Holiday week so reservations are highly encouraged and can be easily made online.

Snowmobile Vermont and the VAST trail system opens next Saturday December 16th and with snow on the ground now and more forecast for next week, the trails should be a great shape for opening weekend.

https://vtvast.org/trails.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;