Mother dies after falling out of Colorado ski resort LIFT

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Re: Mother dies after falling out of Colorado ski resort LIF

Post by rogman »

How many times have you guys ridden chairlifts and you're still getting hit in the head by the bar? Maybe the problem is you... :lol:
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

rogman wrote:How many times have you guys ridden chairlifts and you're still getting hit in the head by the bar? Maybe the problem is you... :lol:
Agree - as the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared" :wink:
E O Eleven
Black Carver

Post by E O Eleven »

:zzz
Last edited by E O Eleven on Nov 17th, '22, 11:04, edited 2 times in total.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

rogman wrote:How many times have you guys ridden chairlifts and you're still getting hit in the head by the bar? Maybe the problem is you... :lol:
Must've happened when I was bending forward scratching my ass! :-)
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Big Bob wrote:I would think that this incident shows the importance of using a safety bar. What I find amusing is most people will rush to lower the bar when you are 2' off the ground at the bottom, but can't wait to raise the bar at the top when you are 30' in the air! It only takes a few seconds to raise the bar. Wait till you are close to the unloading platform or at least over the safety net before raising the bar. A sudden stop can send you fling off the seat.
:like
frankieski
Beginner On Rentals

Post by frankieski »

the skye peak quad in particular is one we wait until we're over the net. that thing gets pretty high.[/quote]

If I remember right, the old lift that went to the actual Peak at Ram's Head was extremely high with a safety net. And, ... I remember always riding with someone that would lift the bar way before the net was in range.

I liked that first drop below that lift. Always had some good bumps. "Header" I think?
GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Post by GlacierBoy »

Jan 20 News update - Granby Ranch officials have since confirmed that they hired an as-yet-unidentified contractor not affiliated with the lift’s manufacturer Leitner-Poma to modify the lift’s electrical drive this past summer. Othe news reports in December cite witnesses who confirm that the family did not have the safety bar down.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/31/wi ... -bar-down/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/20/gr ... tion-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fatal fall of a Texas mother from a high-speed chairlift at Ski Granby Ranch last month was likely caused by modifications an independent contractor made to the ride before the start of the ski season, the resort said Friday.

The ski area says a preliminary investigation into the Dec. 29 incident revealed work on the lift’s electrical drive control system probably prompted the circumstances under which Kelly Huber, 40, and her two daughters fell about 25 feet from their chair onto hard-packed snow.

Huber was killed. Her daughters were injured.

“In the interest of safety, Granby Ranch has retained the original manufacturer of the lift to return the Quickdraw Express Lift to safe operating condition under electrical power,” the resort said in a statement Friday. “The electric drive will be installed and tested under exacting conditions and will not be operational until inspected, licensed and authorized to operate by the (Colorado Passenger Tramway Safety Board).”