Holy Pow !

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

wannabeskibum
Bumper

Re: Holy Pow !

Post by wannabeskibum »

Stormchaser wrote:My last trip to Tahoe during a storm cycle, provided 4 days of skiable weather, and 3 days of wind holds with 100 mph winds... Hit and miss during a storm cycle in Tahoe. Chase the lower elevation resorts when Heavenly, Kirkwood, etc. are all on wind hold. Had two good days at Sierra when the Heav couldn't handle the blowjob. If you are staying at Heavenly on the Nevada side, and access is an issue by vehicle and/or lift, Mott and Killebrew may be your own private stash. Winds are a prob at Mt Rose, but its also off the beaten path. Highest base elevation in Tahoe. If snow levels are a concern, its a good bet, and the Chutes are damn fun. Just don't duck ropes there, an inbounds avy killed someone earlier this year in the Chutes who dove in pre-avy control...

On the Nevada side at Heavenly - Stagecoach lift offers some decent terrain and trees and generally is open when other lifts at Heavenly are on wind hold. I once skied nearly a whole day at Heavenly just skiing Stagecoach and North Bowl chair with constant refresh of snow on the lift ride.

Northstar is a good bet when winds are high post storm - they are lower elevation and a bit more sheltered from the winds. Backside Northstar has some great tree pods - but its moniker is also FlatStar!

Sierra Tahoe as mentioned is also a good bet and it also has tremendous tree pods -
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

wannabeskibum wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:My last trip to Tahoe during a storm cycle, provided 4 days of skiable weather, and 3 days of wind holds with 100 mph winds... Hit and miss during a storm cycle in Tahoe. Chase the lower elevation resorts when Heavenly, Kirkwood, etc. are all on wind hold. Had two good days at Sierra when the Heav couldn't handle the blowjob. If you are staying at Heavenly on the Nevada side, and access is an issue by vehicle and/or lift, Mott and Killebrew may be your own private stash. Winds are a prob at Mt Rose, but its also off the beaten path. Highest base elevation in Tahoe. If snow levels are a concern, its a good bet, and the Chutes are damn fun. Just don't duck ropes there, an inbounds avy killed someone earlier this year in the Chutes who dove in pre-avy control...

On the Nevada side at Heavenly - Stagecoach lift offers some decent terrain and trees and generally is open when other lifts at Heavenly are on wind hold. I once skied nearly a whole day at Heavenly just skiing Stagecoach and North Bowl chair with constant refresh of snow on the lift ride.

Northstar is a good bet when winds are high post storm - they are lower elevation and a bit more sheltered from the winds. Backside Northstar has some great tree pods - but its moniker is also FlatStar!

Sierra Tahoe as mentioned is also a good bet and it also has tremendous tree pods -
Had Stagecoach within walking distance and the Mott chair running for two days with wind and road closures. 21 laps in Mott the first day. 17 split between Mott and Killebrew the next. Killebrew wasn't open for first day. 6' in 7 days. Been chasing that ski trip ever since. 54" the three days prior to arrival in Tahoe last March is the closest. One day here and there on numerous trips, but have yet to have things pan out like they have in Tahoe.
ImageImageImageImage
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Alpine Meadows may well be the most exciting place I've even been....great variety of terrain.....but DO hit a veritable unknown over the Donner....Sugar Bowl...GREAT stuff on Judah Bowl at same....rockin good time!
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Stormchaser wrote: 54" the three days prior to arrival in Tahoe last March is the closest.
That's sensational! :like

Have vivid memory of Taos with a 3 day storm of that magnitude.
( .. had place to ourselves, as Taos access rd was closed by avi :D )
Even at Squaw, 54" dictates some strong pitch to maintain pace.
Curious, did you get Sierra density and/or dream stuff?

To reiterate, hoping this Pacific River holds together.
Big dumpage here would still qualify as a stocking stuffer. :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

brownman wrote:
Stormchaser wrote: 54" the three days prior to arrival in Tahoe last March is the closest.
That's sensational! :like

Have vivid memory of Taos with a 3 day storm of that magnitude.
( .. had place to ourselves, as Taos access rd was closed by avi :D )
Even at Squaw, 54" dictates some strong pitch to maintain pace.
Curious, did you get Sierra density and/or dream stuff?

To reiterate, hoping this Pacific River holds together.
Big dumpage here would still qualify as a stocking stuffer. :wink:

:Toast

Heavy heavy heavy. Fat skis, stay on top, big turns...
ImageImageImageImage
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Mammoth 20 feet expected in the next 10 days! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
4-5 feet so far...
http://ktla.com/2017/01/04/20-feet-of-s ... t-10-days/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Up to 7 feet now in 2 days. Looks like a packed house in this cam: http://www.mammothmountain.com/winter/m ... -lodge-cam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RENO on Jan 5th, '17, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

I hope you're flying into Reno. May even be hard to get to Tahoe from there. The highway closures and chain law restrictions are going to be epic.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

West is talking in FEET while here on the home front we received another Nor Incher, at least in the Otter Valley.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Dr. NO wrote:West is talking in FEET while here on the home front we received another Nor Incher, at least in the Otter Valley.
We got a nor incher also in central NJ. I slid down my driveway while clearing the car. Does that count as a ski day?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

RENO wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:West is talking in FEET while here on the home front we received another Nor Incher, at least in the Otter Valley.
We got a nor incher also in central NJ. I slid down my driveway while clearing the car. Does that count as a ski day?
How big is your boot? Anything over size 12 should be good for a ski or ride day. ;)
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Reports out of Tahoe are not pretty. Road closures. Avalanches. Ski areas not able to open. And r*in predicted up to 10,000 ft elevation.

Be careful what you wish for.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

PinnacleJim wrote:Reports out of Tahoe are not pretty. Road closures. Avalanches. Ski areas not able to open. And r*in predicted up to 10,000 ft elevation.

Be careful what you wish for.
At some ski areas they can't move the snowcats. They're snowed in. Probably have to plow some of the lift lines.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

And 70 MPH winds -

Looks like Thursday or Friday will be the day out there........
blakeslee_a
Black Carver

Post by blakeslee_a »

Thanks for the tips guys! I know some stuff from research like Mott & killebrew, meeting up with some friends who live out west too. Just landed in Reno after a 2 hour delay leaving JFK.. tomorrow may be a bust if they open or not but rest of the week looks great... I'll report back later on
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

blakeslee_a wrote:Thanks for the tips guys! I know some stuff from research like Mott & killebrew, meeting up with some friends who live out west too. Just landed in Reno after a 2 hour delay leaving JFK.. tomorrow may be a bust if they open or not but rest of the week looks great... I'll report back later on
Good thread to follow on TGR board:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... EAD/page49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;