New boots.... love/hate

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skifaster
Poster Child Poster

New boots.... love/hate

Post by skifaster »

Ugh, it was time. Got new boots... So the uncomfortable process starts.... But excited once they are broken in!!!
Have to say not too bad out of the box with a few adjustments, but the hill is gonna be different.
Tecnica Mach 1 130LV
"Audaces Fortuna Luvat” Fortune Favors the Bold...
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Re: New boots.... love/hate

Post by Woodsrider »

Nice let us know what you think of them. I'm looking to try a pair of Cochise Pro 130's. always liked my many Technica's.
ski18vt
Green Skidder

Post by ski18vt »

There shouldn't be an "uncomfortable process."
skifaster
Poster Child Poster

Post by skifaster »

ski18vt wrote:There shouldn't be an "uncomfortable process."
Unless your feet are a perfect match to the molds of a ski boot.
There is a breakin process, that can be a bit uncomfortable till your new shoes are dialed.
Granted boots have come a long long way. Still a process for any performance boot.
I have heel spurs, sixth toe and some minor issues so, yes there is a process till the boots are
Primo.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Two words: Boot fitter.

Life is too short
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
skifaster
Poster Child Poster

Post by skifaster »

throbster wrote:Two words: Boot fitter.

Life is too short
Agreed 100%. Not my first rodeo. I have a great boot fitter. We did work and it feels great. I am just reserving time if things need to be adjusted, punched or whatever.
Feels great now, we shall see soon on the white.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Even a perfectly fitted boot needs time to break in.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

I've been breaking in and fitting my Dalbello Pantera's for three years, way, way longer than all 3 pairs of Langes I previously had which hardly had any adjustments needed. Finally getting the Dalbello's dialed in just right, been a process.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

Check out heat molded shell boots, such as some Fischer and Atomic models.

I switched from a Lange race boot, that I had been skiing on in many different colors and model names for over 30 yrs until about a month ago. I switched to Atomic Hawx Ulta 130's on the STRONG encouragement of my preferred bootfitter of many years! The shell is fully heat moldable, so even before any tweaking to the shell itself for various anatomical irregularities of one's foot is considered, the shell is shaped to YOUR foot after the molding process. I have developed a bone spur of my right pinky toe in the last year or so, that even with punching out the shell of my former Lange RS130's, was still uncomfortable over the bone spur area. My new Atomics have been 100% pain free, with no adjustments after the initial heat molding process, in the now 8 days that I've skied them.

The performance is everything I was used to in my Langes, precise, plenty of lateral stiffness and a consistent flex pattern throughout. The added advantage is with the new plastics the shell is made out of, these Atomics are close to half the weight of my old Langes. I was quite convinced that I was going to be a Lange wearer for the rest of my skiing career, these Atomics changed that for sure.

My 13 year old racer daughter has Fischer similar concept heat molded shell, 100 flex race boots, which took care of her fitting challenges as well - she has a high arch and a narrow, long foot, which presented had presented issue with getting enough arch support and later support and yet still retaining snug, responsive race performance. This is the 2nd season she's been in heat molded shells, and has been happy with both pairs, and I have heard way lees complaints about cold feet and/or hot spots than in the past from her.

As my boot fitter says, if you can make the shell fit your foot shape, that's much easier, and quicker to full comfortable, performance, than having to adapt your liner and/or shell to the shape of your foot by removing or adding things to/from the boot that weren't designed to originally be there

My Hawxs 130 Ultras, or as my daughter refers to them affectionately, "Dad's pair of Converse Chuck Taylor Allstars!"

Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I am on season 3 or 4 (can't remember how long)in my Fischer Ranger Boots. They are a 120 flex and fit well. The Rangers that I have also can be used as a side country/slack country boot with a walk mode.

In that time I've had these boots, my foot has spread out (because I'm over weight I am sure). My shop said the boots can be re-molded so that it fits my foot. Apparently it can be molded an endless number of times, as the plastic returns to stiffness after it cools.

When I first got these boots, there was no breakin period. They were very comfortable right after the fitting. I had them fit, for an "aggressive" skier, so its not like they weren't tight.

If you have a funky foot, I would highly recommend considering one of the heat moldable options. They won't be cheap, but you truly get a customizable boot.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
skifaster
Poster Child Poster

Post by skifaster »

Update
Tecnica Mach 1 130 lv
Great responsive boot for day one. Will need a shell punch on right boot by sixth toe.
Excellent when gassed up and driving the ski through a turn. Total confidence inspiring boot. Fantastic feel and quick edge to edge. With a bit more tweaks it will dial in and be even that much better. New buckles are very cool and easy. In and out of boot is a dream compared to past langes and race boots I have used. I expected that but it was very noticeable.
If this fits your foot shape, it's a definite serious player.