Sunday. 1/8/17 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Sunday. 1/8/17 report

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Very cold day, sunny but no wind made it tolerable as long as you rode the gondolas in between chair rides. Not that many people ventured out today so there were no lines really even at the gondolas. We started at Bear hoping that it would be warmer there. The groomers were all in good shape. OL was doable but took effort because the snow was not as soft was yesterday. Guns going in the Stash and lower Dreammaker. The snow being made was wonderful and felt like velvet .At Needles, Thimble more solid than yesterday and Old Needles was even more beat up. Needles was a grooming pleasure.
Bittersweet skied well. Skylark was also OK. Superstar skied well later in the afternoon probably because of lack of traffic. Skied Skyhawk a few times as the right side was still pretty soft. At Southridge skied Pipedream and it was still good. Finished with a nice run on Highline under the guns. Did not venture over to Snowdown because it would have meant a long and cold chair ride. Also did not ski anything in the Canyon because of how cold it was.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Sunday. 1/8/17 report

Post by skiadikt »

skied afternoon shift until couldn't take cold anymore. pace empty like a weekday. groomers held up well. skyelark good. snowmaking was velvet over at bear. first major dip into trees for us. stayed close to main lines which were skied off but ok. they pretty much ruined tinman with the bike stuff. patsies not as much. breakaway good. lower down on flush pretty beat.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

skiadikt wrote:skied afternoon shift until couldn't take cold anymore. pace empty like a weekday. groomers held up well. skyelark good. snowmaking was velvet over at bear. first major dip into trees for us. stayed close to main lines which were skied off but ok. they pretty much ruined tinman with the bike stuff. patsies not as much. breakaway good. lower down on flush pretty beat.
Agree on the Snowdon woods, need a few feet to fill in the depressions created by the bike trails, couldn't get a groove going, not happy!
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Cold, but the crowds were nill.

Peak lodge pretty empty compared to Saturday.

Talked to some mechanics at the Sky Mid station about Chalker. They were told not to say anything until the official report.

Lots of slick stuff in the trees as the crowds decimated them the day before.

Hit a couple reserved with Ty at the end of the day. Under the guns is still where it is at.

Unfortunately.

RIP Chalker.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon report. Cold and firmer than Saturday. Empty.

ROTD was Stitchline (sans decapitator). Real good cover for the most part.

Pipe dream still pretty good. Superstar OK.

Tried squeeze play hoping for better cover than Snowdon, not real good.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Snowboardgod
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Snowboardgod »

Went up for a few runs Sunday afternoon... major issues when I arrived at skyeship. Waited about 25 minutes w the gondola stopped then went to bear. Started to run as I left, got off SPE and it was stopped yet again. Went again today, multiple stops on the couple of trips I made on it... wonder what the deal is. We need some more snow but at least the cold is keeping the snow that is left nice.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Snowboardgod wrote:Went up for a few runs Sunday afternoon... major issues when I arrived at skyeship. Waited about 25 minutes w the gondola stopped then went to bear. Started to run as I left, got off SPE and it was stopped yet again. Went again today, multiple stops on the couple of trips I made on it... wonder what the deal is. We need some more snow but at least the cold is keeping the snow that is left nice.
Lift was grieving for its mechanic.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.