Saturday, 1/14/17 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Saturday, 1/14/17 report

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Today was a groomer kind of day. I heard that they were making snow on OL so I went straight to Bear. The snow they were making on OL this morning was velvety (ROTD). I enjoyed skiing it until one of my skis came off and I twitched my knee a bit. Also skied Bear Claw, lower Skyburst, AntiVenom and lower Wildfire. Upper Wildfire was closed. Moved over to Needles and enjoyed Cruise Control and Needles under the guns. Panic Button despite new snow on it was still slick. Superstar had very nice snow until the very last part of it where it got a bit slick. Bittersweet was pretty good too because of the guns on it. Skylark was doable if you stuck to the edges of it. Saw some folks on lower Ovation but I did not try it. In the afternoon skied Cascade which was fast and skiable if you found some snow to make a turn. The North Ridge Runs were in the same shape. Was told that East Fall was already skied off so I avoided it. Over to Snowdown where I only rode the poma and that had long lines to wait on. Guess most people did not want to ride the Snowdon chairs. The park run was in better shape than Bunny Buster. Mouse Trap had some nice fresh snow and lower Bunny was OK too. So it turned out to be a pretty good day despite the very frigid temperature and limited terrain.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Re: Saturday, 1/14/17 report

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Ty nailed it pretty well.

Better than I expected. Noonish start up the Skyship and noted the guns on Needles Eye. Warmup on Cruise Control was OK and Panic / Needles Eye was very good. Should be great Sunday.

Across to the other side. Mouse Run (park) to Mouse Trap was best we found there; bottom half of Mouse Trap very good. Lower Chute OK as well.

Took Kilink to try East Slide and found the ladies tee closed. So up the NRT and did Cascade instead. If nothing else, was able to get enough speed on the runout to ski into the SS liftline.

Superstar was pretty darn good. Headwall OK and got better as you went down (typical). Middle section very good and I found the lower "pitch" to be "good eastern skiing". Added technical difficulty on the right side due to all the herbs in the moguls trying to avoid the hockey rink further to the left. They were horrified and not looking up for skiers above them. But, it was pretty easy to get buy them by assuming they would not link more than one turn in a row.

Over to Bear, Stash OK -> Viper Pit with one mogul at the bottom, and lower Skyeburst (Bear Claw) was very good. OL just as they were shutting the guns off was ROTD. No ice whatsoever and huge bumps. Technically challenging as there was quite the ridge formed by the guns with very narrow line of no double fall line. Not zipper lines either but more like just random, did I mention huge, bumps.

Lower Dream Maker into the new trail "DM Pipe" was good as well, and a do-over.

Run down to the Skyeship at days end was scary as expected. I wonder how many beginners slide off the trail on it at the end of the day.

All in all, a pretty good day. Only lift line of any mention was SPQ.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Big Bob
Postinator

Re: Saturday, 1/14/17 report

Post by Big Bob »

Did Killington replace the tower guns on OL again this summer? They seemed to have more throw across the slope.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22