1/15/17 sunday

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Finn
Postaholic

1/15/17 sunday

Post by Finn »

Started early went to Bear. The snow was okay at Bear.
Did the stash way to lower skyburst. Snow nice.
Did dream maker 4 times...run of the day for me.
Went over to Needles did a few cruise nice, panic ok ,
Needles better than Friday. Travelled over to SS area. Ok snow. Did a few on sky lark nice. Went to snowdon did a few there. Nice snow but a lot of peeps.
Chilly today. Lots of peeps today so guess I am done. At the peak now busy with tourists. A few regulars at peak but not many:(
Enjoy your day and be safe. :)
MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: 1/15/17 sunday

Post by MrsG »

Early bird got the worm this morning .... conditions were ten times better than Friday, and significantly better than yesterday - that third day groom crushed most of the marbles up for a very nice soft surface everywhere on the Bear to Sup side .... hard to believe everything except woods and Fiddle open at Bear! Well, not sure if Dream head wall open, but soft snow over giant mounds down to a flat pipe was a surprise! Everything at Needles good, but you could feel a bit of a skied off surface on Panic developing, but definitely maneuverable. Bitter, Sky and Sup nice with the blown snow of last few days. Guns were blasting on Ovation, but took a pass ..... good job K working with what Mother Nature dealt you this past week :mrgreen:
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

made my "triumphant" return after getting out of dodge for a few days waiting for this to blow over. yup mtn did a great job recovering from the latest mess. snow guns everywhere or at least in key spots. good grooming. bear excellent out of the gate though lower wildf deteriorated quickly. needles had some nice fresh snow to play with. surprise rotd was ovation, from middle down with snowguns blaring all the way. 2nd place was east fall. mouse also good under guns. and yeah dreammaker was a hoot. skied the morning shift and kissed the ground when we got back to the car. got purty damn zooey out there.
Last edited by skiadikt on Jan 15th, '17, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Finn wrote:Started early went to Bear. The snow was okay at Bear.
Did the stash way to lower skyburst. Snow nice.
Did dream maker 4 times...run of the day for me.
Went over to Needles did a few cruise nice, panic ok ,
Needles better than Friday. Travelled over to SS area. Ok snow. Did a few on sky lark nice. Went to snowdon did a few there. Nice snow but a lot of peeps.
Chilly today. Lots of peeps today so guess I am done. At the peak now busy with tourists. A few regulars at peak but not many:(
Enjoy your day and be safe. :)
Dunno how we missed you as we were all the same places as you at same time.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Pico exceeded my expectations today, especially considering that yesterday morning I was at home debating on weather I would come up or not.

Guns going on 49er and expressway made a nice surface and things were well groomed elsewhere.

Still not great overall, but a pleasant surprise considering the weather we had this week.
Don't Killington Pico
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Another pretty good day.

Normal ride up Skyeship and down Stash to Cruise Control. Stash still very good, Cruise OK. Panic to Needles Eye was early ROTD with nice snow and some decent small bumps on Needles. Several laps there including one down lower Vertigo; good eastern skiing !!. Down Bitter that was generally very good. Old Bitter cutoff very skiable (do-over) with some wayward man made snow adding to it's cover.

Surpise of the day (Skiadikt beat me to it) was middle / lower Ovation. ROTD for sure. Bit of ice here and there but nice bumps throughout and good snow.

Over to Bear mid afternoon with several laps on Dream Maker / Pipe trail that was very good; got a bit icy later in the day near and in the pipe. Lower Skyeburst pretty good as well.

Ended the day with another Stash to Cruise and up to Panic Needles. Very different skied off Panic but Needles eye still good.

Bitter to Supe chair for our scary run back down to the Skyeship.

Put in almost 20 runs in 4+ hours; basically no waiting.

Saw the guns on it, but did not get over to East Fall.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Forgot to mention, OL run was workout of the day; quite a bit stiffer than yesterday with the same, troughy bumps all the way down. Good to see the leaving it bumped up if nothing else; it was seeing a good bit of traffic including a whole bunch of "KMS" kids.

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Skied Cascade and East Fall (before snow guns) early in the morning and at that time they were good. Well for me Ovation this morning was way too wet and scary because the googles were constantly full of wet snow. Friend reported to Ski Patrol and the snow makers made some corrections and it was more pleasant to ski later in the morning. Middle Ovation was the ROTD for me. Skied almost everything at least once from Bear to Snowdon. We liked the Stash and skied that a few times. Dreammaker was the way Dr. No likes it - very fast. The Dreammaker headwall was not open. As everyone already said Needles had good snow but Panic was a bit slick. Cruise Control was nicely groomed and lower Vertigo was a nice surprise. Someone wanted me to try the old headwall on Bittersweet but I passed - after reading Captain Hafski's report I wish I had gone for it. Bittersweet was pretty good. Skylark by the time we skied it was skied off in the middle so you had to stick to the sides to get the goods. Superstar was good as long as you stuck to the bump line on skier's right once you hit the lower headwall (Preston's Pitch). Went back to East Fall in the afternoon and did not like it at all because you had big mounds of wet snow with lots of ice in between and visibility was very low. Did a few runs off the poma. Skied middle Chute to lower Chute - both were quite good. Called it a day when I was extremely cold and finished by doing a Bunny Buster to Mouse Trap (both had good snow) to lower Bunny Buster where you had to ski the sides to avoid the ice. Another pretty good day of skiing in the books.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

I guess the crowds were not a factor?
Where is Happy Hour ?
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Rusty. I didnt find a big crowd factor. Avoided K1 and SPQ until very late in the day. OL chair ran all day as well as needles eye chair. Between those and superstar, pretty easy to get around without waiting.