Skier Death at Sugarbush on Monday

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ski18vt
Green Skidder

Re: Skier Death at Sugarbush on Monday

Post by ski18vt »

Stormchaser wrote:You know those pointy little branch stubs sticking out of the lower parts of evergreen trees? I may be dead, were it not for my helmet...no real tree impact, I skied too close, clipped my goggles, and damn near bored a hole through the helmet to my skull...

Dude, when did you buy that helmet, 1990??

I hate to tell you this, but the only thing that bad boy is going to protect you from are those "pointy little branch stubs sticking out of the lower parts of evergreen trees."
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

ski18vt wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:You know those pointy little branch stubs sticking out of the lower parts of evergreen trees? I may be dead, were it not for my helmet...no real tree impact, I skied too close, clipped my goggles, and damn near bored a hole through the helmet to my skull...

Dude, when did you buy that helmet, 1990??

I hate to tell you this, but the only thing that bad boy is going to protect you from are those "pointy little branch stubs sticking out of the lower parts of evergreen trees."
Ouch. That helmet is less than 8 years old, and well retired...
ImageImageImageImage
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

I buy top of the line helmets for all my speed related hobbies. I have broken many helmets in my life. Most of the impacts that cracked or otherwise destroyed my helmets would have killed me or worse. They save lives. Plain and simple. Well worth the investment at any cost.

RIP brother.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Woodsrider wrote:I buy top of the line helmets for all my speed related hobbies. I have broken many helmets in my life. Most of the impacts that cracked or otherwise destroyed my helmets would have killed me or worse. They save lives. Plain and simple. Well worth the investment at any cost.

RIP brother.
You use any modular helmets ?
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:I buy top of the line helmets for all my speed related hobbies. I have broken many helmets in my life. Most of the impacts that cracked or otherwise destroyed my helmets would have killed me or worse. They save lives. Plain and simple. Well worth the investment at any cost.

RIP brother.
Never. On the majority of the full face helmets that I have broken the fracture occurred at the side of the helmet where the chin guard interface is. I really don't trust the hinge. I prefer one piece helmets that are designed to deform and break on impact. I'm using MIPS technology now on my trail bike helmets. Jury is still out on if it works. But I believe in the concept of reducing rotational forces. I would like to see similar technology on ski helmets. My downhill helmet is the same design as a motocross helmet with a carbon fiber shell. While they are hot, the copious padding provides excellent rotational slip.
Most important is to toss a helmet that has sustained a good hit. Whether you see damage or not.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Woodsrider wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

RIP brother.
Never. On the majority of the full face helmets that I have broken the fracture occurred at the side of the helmet where the chin guard interface is. I really don't trust the hinge. I prefer one piece helmets that are designed to deform and break on impact. I'm using MIPS technology now on my trail bike helmets. Jury is still out on if it works. But I believe in the concept of reducing rotational forces. I would like to see similar technology on ski helmets. My downhill helmet is the same design as a motocross helmet with a carbon fiber shell. While they are hot, the copious padding provides excellent rotational slip.
Most important is to toss a helmet that has sustained a good hit. Whether you see damage or not.
Do you believe in the shelf life of helmets and tires?

I keep them only five years and then they both get replaced.
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

Woodsrider wrote:Never. On the majority of the full face helmets that I have broken the fracture occurred at the side of the helmet where the chin guard interface is. I really don't trust the hinge. I prefer one piece helmets that are designed to deform and break on impact. I'm using MIPS technology now on my trail bike helmets. Jury is still out on if it works. But I believe in the concept of reducing rotational forces. I would like to see similar technology on ski helmets. My downhill helmet is the same design as a motocross helmet with a carbon fiber shell. While they are hot, the copious padding provides excellent rotational slip.
Some of the POC helmets claim to have MIPS technology.

http://www.pocsports.com/en/7/snow-helmets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

DrJeff wrote:
Currently the race helmet specifications vary by age group. The older 2 age groups (the U16/19's and the U14's) have to have a FIS approved helmet that has extra impact resistance over a "standard" helmet. The younger 2 age groups (the U12's and the U10's) until next year don't have to have the FIS approved helmets - These approved race helmets typically run between $160 and $400 depending on all the "bells and whistles" that may be part of the helmet - by far and away POC is the #1 brand for race helmets.

There is definitely a difference in my kids FIS approved helmets and my "regular" Giro helmet that I wear
According to the sales people at a couple of shops, and my (admittedly uneducated) judgement, there is no difference between the 2014 and 2015 POC Skull X race helmet aside from the holographic FIS sticker that is an absolute requirement for racing U14 and above. But when the regulation changed, helmets that confirmed got the sticker, and you have to have it to race. Annoying!
And that rule is for GS only, not SL. So at least now that we've got both, we can leave the slalom face guard permanently attached to the SL helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

SnoBrdr wrote:
I really wonder how much these helmets actually protect us.

Unless you get a real good helmet, they are just a styrofoam type lining.

Are the race helmets the same or are they more like MC helmets.
Race helmets are a lot closer to a recreational ski helmet than a MC helmet. My MC helmets are waaaay heavier/beefier. Race helmets mostly just have a hard shell over the ears.
I'm a helmet wearer nearly 100% of the time, but I'm also of the opinion that for on-trail skiing, they hardly matter. I imagine there's some studies out there, but haven't seen any myself.

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

RIP brother.
Do you believe in the shelf life of helmets and tires?

I keep them only five years and then they both get replaced.
I agree.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

random1 wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Race helmets are a lot closer to a recreational ski helmet than a MC helmet. My MC helmets are waaaay heavier/beefier. Race helmets mostly just have a hard shell over the ears.
I'm a helmet wearer nearly 100% of the time, but I'm also of the opinion that for on-trail skiing, they hardly matter. I imagine there's some studies out there, but haven't seen any myself.

Tell that to Liam Neeson and family.
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

random1 wrote:
DrJeff wrote:
Currently the race helmet specifications vary by age group. The older 2 age groups (the U16/19's and the U14's) have to have a FIS approved helmet that has extra impact resistance over a "standard" helmet. The younger 2 age groups (the U12's and the U10's) until next year don't have to have the FIS approved helmets - These approved race helmets typically run between $160 and $400 depending on all the "bells and whistles" that may be part of the helmet - by far and away POC is the #1 brand for race helmets.

There is definitely a difference in my kids FIS approved helmets and my "regular" Giro helmet that I wear
According to the sales people at a couple of shops, and my (admittedly uneducated) judgement, there is no difference between the 2014 and 2015 POC Skull X race helmet aside from the holographic FIS sticker that is an absolute requirement for racing U14 and above. But when the regulation changed, helmets that confirmed got the sticker, and you have to have it to race. Annoying!
And that rule is for GS only, not SL. So at least now that we've got both, we can leave the slalom face guard permanently attached to the SL helmet.

Both my kids have the easy on/easy off POC chin guard for slalom, as opposed to their original screwed in chin guard - I have to say, for a U12 and U14 racer, their easy on/easy off one is very simple to use, and frankly I doubt has any appreciable effects on their overall aerodynamics when the chin guard is off and the attachments are still on the side of their helmets :wink:
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

DrJeff wrote:
random1 wrote:
DrJeff wrote:

Both my kids have the easy on/easy off POC chin guard for slalom, as opposed to their original screwed in chin guard - I have to say, for a U12 and U14 racer, their easy on/easy off one is very simple to use, and frankly I doubt has any appreciable effects on their overall aerodynamics when the chin guard is off and the attachments are still on the side of their helmets :wink:
Sure - but since my daughter now has two identical helmets(save for the sticker) she keeps the guard on one. I guess I could maybe get a few bucks selling the old one instead, but who'd buy the pre-fis version?
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

SnoBrdr wrote:
random1 wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Tell that to Liam Neeson and family.
Tell them what? That a helmet might have made a difference. My first search found this:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/s ... uries.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting - the impact injuries don't seem to be mitigated. I dunno. In any case, I see no downside in wearing a helmet, so I do.

ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

I think the biggest problem with helmets is that they are only designed to protect against head injuries at speeds up to 15mph, when most of us cruise at 25+. They do reduce injuries the severity of injuries (that makes it worth it in my book) and protect against other "softer" objects like branches etc. There are numerous studies on the effectiveness, just google it.