Skier Death at Sugarbush on Monday

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Skier Death at Sugarbush on Monday

Post by daytripper »

DrJeff wrote:
spanky wrote:I wear a similar helmet bike riding. I don't see any reason not to wear one skiing. I am also of the belief they do not make me invincible. It's just a possible reduction of risk.

Also, I was recently at Alta/Snowbird. It appeared that most of the patrollers at both resorts did NOT wear helmets. I wonder why that is.
I've asked a few of my patroller friends why most of them don't wear helmets while working, and their answer tends to be that the helmet makes it more difficult at times to hear what the person they're working on during a call may be saying at times. Valid point or not? Not sure....

I do know that one of my patroller friends who doesn't where a helmet while he is working, does wear a helmet when he's out free skiing at not wearing his red "work coat"
Why don't they just take off the ear flaps? They are removable on any helmet I ever owned, then they could hear just fine. I take them off in the spring when it gets to warm for them.
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

Stormchaser wrote:
ejrides wrote:
da Pimp wrote: I wish someone would gather all the fatality reports for head trauma pre-helmet and post-helmet and compare against the number of skier visits each year. I suspect that the helmet industry would be broadcasting that info as a means of generating sales, but I do not see any such info in the market.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/spor ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article you reference shows no reduction in # of brain injuries, but does reflect reduction in severity of injuries including large rates of reduction for non-brain head injuries.
The increase in helmet use has had positive results. Experts say helmets have reduced the numbers of less serious head injuries, like scalp lacerations, by 30 percent to 50 percent, and Schumacher’s doctors say he would not have survived his fall had he not worn a helmet. But growing evidence indicates that helmets do not prevent some more serious injuries, like the tearing of delicate brain tissue, said Jasper Shealy, a professor emeritus at Rochester Institute of Technology.
I think we are basically all agreeing on the same thing - it's a good idea to wear one for all the reasons we've said, but it really does not help the issue of brain injuries. I'll keep wearing mine.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

daytripper wrote:
DrJeff wrote:
spanky wrote:I wear a similar helmet bike riding. I don't see any reason not to wear one skiing. I am also of the belief they do not make me invincible. It's just a possible reduction of risk.

Also, I was recently at Alta/Snowbird. It appeared that most of the patrollers at both resorts did NOT wear helmets. I wonder why that is.
I've asked a few of my patroller friends why most of them don't wear helmets while working, and their answer tends to be that the helmet makes it more difficult at times to hear what the person they're working on during a call may be saying at times. Valid point or not? Not sure....

I do know that one of my patroller friends who doesn't where a helmet while he is working, does wear a helmet when he's out free skiing at not wearing his red "work coat"
Why don't they just take off the ear flaps? They are removable on any helmet I ever owned, then they could hear just fine. I take them off in the spring when it gets to warm for them.
I started to type the same thing then decided why bother...but that would seem to be the more practical approach....or simply take the helmet off when you are in a situation that requires better hearing...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

ejrides wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
ejrides wrote:
da Pimp wrote: I wish someone would gather all the fatality reports for head trauma pre-helmet and post-helmet and compare against the number of skier visits each year. I suspect that the helmet industry would be broadcasting that info as a means of generating sales, but I do not see any such info in the market.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/spor ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article you reference shows no reduction in # of brain injuries, but does reflect reduction in severity of injuries including large rates of reduction for non-brain head injuries.
The increase in helmet use has had positive results. Experts say helmets have reduced the numbers of less serious head injuries, like scalp lacerations, by 30 percent to 50 percent, and Schumacher’s doctors say he would not have survived his fall had he not worn a helmet. But growing evidence indicates that helmets do not prevent some more serious injuries, like the tearing of delicate brain tissue, said Jasper Shealy, a professor emeritus at Rochester Institute of Technology.
I think we are basically all agreeing on the same thing - it's a good idea to wear one for all the reasons we've said, but it really does not help the issue of brain injuries. I'll keep wearing mine.
I don't think that short of never leaving your couch that anyone can really be protected from a brain injury.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

SnoBrdr wrote:
ejrides wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
ejrides wrote:

I don't think that short of never leaving your couch that anyone can really be protected from a brain injury.
Again, motor sport helmets are very effective at reducing brain injuries. That is why we wear them. That is why most states require them for street bikes. In time I believe manufactures will produce ski helmets for this purpose if only for fast or extreme skiing. Downhill mountain bike helmets are now in this category for a premium price.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

I agree but some people seem to feel that because it can't stop 100% of all brain injuries that they are ineffective.

My state still doesn't require a MC helmet for the operator, no idea why.

They do require a bike helmet for kids under 13 but this is almost never enforced.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

SnoBrdr wrote:
ejrides wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
ejrides wrote:

You obviously don't watch a lot of TV. :wink:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

hell, reading posts from certain ass hats on here is enough to give you a brain injury
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Here's report of a death at Breck within the last week. Also hitting a tree and not wearing a helmet.
http://www.summitdaily.com/news/regiona ... ay-jan-13/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

skilab wrote:Something not good just happened at K. State trooper, witt, emt, administration truck. Ambulance left with no lights. Prayers
Did anyone else hear more about this? I hope no one had a bad day at K.

Always use common sense.
Always wear a brain bucket.
Always wear your seat belt.
Always carry lawfully.
Nine times out of ten you wont regret it.
ski18vt
Green Skidder

Post by ski18vt »

BoozeTan wrote:hell, reading posts from certain ass hats on here is enough to give you a brain injury
You're not kidding, 4 flippin' pages on "should you wear a helmet... "
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Skier's death renews calls for helmet use

http://www.mynbc5.com/article/skier-s-d ... se/8620031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe