Jackson Hole closed

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Big Bob
Postinator

Jackson Hole closed

Post by Big Bob »

A massive wind storm has knocked down a bunch of power poles, so no power at Teton Village and the mnt. It could be for up to 7 days.

http://www.jacksonhole.com/weather-snow ... ReportCond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
brownman
Postinator

Re: Jackson Hole closed

Post by brownman »

A patrol buddy of ours there has been working every day on avi crew and shoveling roofs nightly for last 3 weeks.
His text last nite indicated they were getting massive heavy gloppy stuff and people in Wilson were without power.

Anyone with multiple pitches on a roof can appreciate the task they are facing. Here's an example from yesterday there.
MooseWilsonRd.PNG
MooseWilsonRd.PNG (331.01 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Be careful what you wish for. :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

I riding there the day it closed. I took last run off the tram. Crazy conditions up top. Pure white out. Drove North to Big Sky and it took forever with the pass closed.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
lifeisgood
Bumper

Post by lifeisgood »

Just my luck, I was there for the first time ever (working on my bucket list) and after skiing for only 2 days, we lost power on Tuesday night and didn't find out about the extent of the outage until the next morning. We were staying on the mountain and had to evacuate. There wasn't any cell service, either the cell tower blew down also, or it didn't have any backup power to it, so we caught a shuttle bus into Jackson, found a Starbucks and charged up our phones and started making plans to reschedule a flight home early. We were lucky to get seats on an afternoon flight back, but after waiting in the Jackson airport for over 3 hours to check in, we finally got to the counter and was told our flight had been cancelled. We were rescheduled for Thursday, and it too was cancelled, and then we ended up barely getting home on Friday night. The really sad thing about this (actually it's all sad) is that we never made it up to the peak. It was snowing like crazy all day on Monday and Tuesday, and there was no visibility at all and the tram lines were long - they were running on reduced capacity due to wind, so we skied other parts of the mountain off the two gondolas they have (there was no shortage of powder anywhere) thinking that we had the rest of the week to get up to the peak. Even though we did ski there 2 days, I feel like we were never there at all. :sad:
Do what you like.
Like what you do.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

lifeisgood wrote:Just my luck, I was there for the first time ever (working on my bucket list) and after skiing for only 2 days, we lost power on Tuesday night and didn't find out about the extent of the outage until the next morning. We were staying on the mountain and had to evacuate. There wasn't any cell service, either the cell tower blew down also, or it didn't have any backup power to it, so we caught a shuttle bus into Jackson, found a Starbucks and charged up our phones and started making plans to reschedule a flight home early. We were lucky to get seats on an afternoon flight back, but after waiting in the Jackson airport for over 3 hours to check in, we finally got to the counter and was told our flight had been cancelled. We were rescheduled for Thursday, and it too was cancelled, and then we ended up barely getting home on Friday night. The really sad thing about this (actually it's all sad) is that we never made it up to the peak. It was snowing like crazy all day on Monday and Tuesday, and there was no visibility at all and the tram lines were long - they were running on reduced capacity due to wind, so we skied other parts of the mountain off the two gondolas they have (there was no shortage of powder anywhere) thinking that we had the rest of the week to get up to the peak. Even though we did ski there 2 days, I feel like we were never there at all. :sad:

I was lucky got up the tram twice. Tons of powder and nice drops everywhere up there. Well now you have a reason to go back.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

lifeisgood wrote:Just my luck, I was there for the first time ever (working on my bucket list) and after skiing for only 2 days, we lost power on Tuesday night and didn't find out about the extent of the outage until the next morning. We were staying on the mountain and had to evacuate. The two gondolas they have (there was no shortage of powder anywhere) thinking that we had the rest of the week to get up to the peak. Even though we did ski there 2 days, I feel like we were never there at all. :sad:
Sorry to learn of your bumma scene on that trip. :sad:
Take solace in the fact that, if it was snowing as hard as you describe, you skied more terrain in the Gondolas, Thunder, Sublette and Apres Vous than you'd do here in weeks. 'Go back Jack and do it again. Wheel turning round and round'. Hope you got a look at the The Tetons, saw how spectacular they are and how that area is one of our Country's Absolute Best !

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path