Killington Lift Structure. SAD!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Re: Killington Lift Structure. SAD!

Post by ME2VTSkier »

skixc2 wrote:I would ALWAYS rather sit on a chair than stand in a life line, all else being equal (as is the case with the equal capacity discussed)
So you choose to freeze your ass off in mid-air. The other half of us prefer to freeze in line with less wind and blowing snow.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

madhatter wrote:
Captain Hafski wrote:HSQ at Snowdon [w.r.t. lift line wait] would be worse than M Moose states as more peeps flock to the HS chair and bew shiny object. As I,ve been saying for years HSQ there would ruin the great skiing there.
perhaps for you, it would improve it for me as I'd actually go over there for more than one run...
Exactly.

As shown over and over... It isn't really going to put any more bodies on hill as long as the timed sequencing of the chairs is the same. Of course the amount of people willing to ski that lift is going to increase if the ride is more comfortable and shorter. What's the point of running a lift if not as many people are willing to ride it?

Look at the Canyon Quad anytime other than holidays/busy weekends. Yup! All kinds of EMPTY chairs. That chair runs for maybe 25% of the customer base that can handle the terrain and are willing to deal with the slow ride.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

I just spent the week at Winter Park in CO. I paid attention to how often the lifts there stop. While they dont stop as often as the lifts at Killy, they do stop quite often. Especially the Panoramic lift. Although that one stops due to wind since it goes all the way to the Perssen bowl at 12000 feet
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
skixc2 wrote:I would ALWAYS rather sit on a chair than stand in a life line, all else being equal (as is the case with the equal capacity discussed)
So you choose to freeze your ass off in mid-air. The other half of us prefer to freeze in line with less wind and blowing snow.
Correct! I prefer to feel like I am moving, making progress. Plus, from the lift you get changing and prettier views, get to watch people ski, and generally have a more interesting experience. Plus you can sit down to rest and relax; as well as having the ability to eat or check a trail map or your phone or converse freely with friends as you see fit. (Note: reserved northern New Englander here who does not feel comfortable speaking to friends much in a crowd.) None of those things are easy to do while standing in a slowly moving lift line with skis and poles where you have to pay some amount of attention.
Also, on a more personal note. I've never been cold downhill skiing - even when the temps get into the single digits and below with wind, I've never felt any adverse affects. I actually hardly ever wear goggles or any type of face covering either, just a helmet. So all that to say that the cold factor is a total no issue to me; I well understand that it is an issue to others.
Raise 'Em Jay
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

With regard to choice of shuffling in lift line or stalled mid-air, for us, it depends on the lift involved.
There are certain lifts in NE that are truly worth waiting in line to take the chance for an easy ride.
Most are north of here. :like
Anytime we venture down to Snowdon lift, if the maze is surging, we simply bolt for the tunnel.
Historically, it is rare (knocking wood) that we ride Snowdon quad and enter suspended animation.

At least Snowdon ain't broken .. yet.
Worse than broken is that which is totally gone.

:seeya
Forever .. Goat Path
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

BoozeTan wrote:I just spent the week at Winter Park in CO. I paid attention to how often the lifts there stop. While they dont stop as often as the lifts at Killy, they do stop quite often. Especially the Panoramic lift. Although that one stops due to wind since it goes all the way to the Perssen bowl at 12000 feet
Parsenn bowl is awesome! :like Much better with the new lift that goes higher. Did you ever ride the old double lift there? That was an adventure! :lol:
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

BoozeTan wrote:I just spent the week at Winter Park in CO. I paid attention to how often the lifts there stop. While they dont stop as often as the lifts at Killy, they do stop quite often. Especially the Panoramic lift. Although that one stops due to wind since it goes all the way to the Perssen bowl at 12000 feet
When I first started skiing we took a day trip to Steamboat, from Cheyenne. There was a double chair off the gondola, lookers right. Line was getting pretty long and the lifty didn't want to stop or slow the chair. If you were not ready to load, they would just grab the chair, yell "DUCK", and let the chair go, hitting a few now and then. Then they would tell you to go to the back of the line. Guess that would be considered bad customer relations now days.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
eagle628
Green Skidder

Post by eagle628 »

Guess which Powdr property is getting a new HS6 next winter? Spoilers, it's not Killington.

http://bit.ly/2lBGDko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eagle628
Green Skidder

Post by eagle628 »

eagle628 wrote:Guess which Powdr property is getting a new HS6 next winter? Spoilers, it's not Killington.

Powdr buys a new HSQ.

http://bit.ly/2mCBIQG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still not for Killington!
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

eagle628 wrote:
eagle628 wrote:Guess which Powdr property is getting a new HS6 next winter? Spoilers, it's not Killington.

Powdr buys a new HSQ.

So how am I benefited out of this deal? Give me a reason to not buy into Stowe. Wtf? I still don't know what Killington pass pricing will be for 2017/2018. I'm loyal. This is B.S. What say you Mike Salimano ? Where is the expansion? Where is Southridge? Why do the lifts fail in comparison to the competition ? You can only get by on reputation for so long. I expect more for my money. Other resorts are willing to deliver. Why won't Killington up there winter game? You expect to sell a village in a sh*t hole? Good luck.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

This just tells people to ski somewhere else. Killington comes last. Enjoy the new mulch!
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

ANGUS wrote:
eagle628 wrote:

Powdr buys a new HSQ.

So how am I benefited out of this deal? Give me a reason to not buy into Stowe. Wtf? I still don't know what Killington pass pricing will be for 2017/2018. I'm loyal. This is B.S. What say you Mike Salimano ? Where is the expansion? Where is Southridge? Why do the lifts fail in comparison to the competition ? You can only get by on reputation for so long. I expect more for my money. Other resorts are willing to deliver. Why won't Killington up there winter game? You expect to sell a village in a sh*t hole? Good luck.
Definitely looking forward to hear next year's prices.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

icedtea wrote:
ANGUS wrote:
eagle628 wrote:

Powdr buys a new HSQ.

Definitely looking forward to hear next year's prices.
Who isn't.

They had already been posted by this time last year.

Doesn't bode well.

Taking all the profits from K and sending them elsewhere.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

My theory on why the lifts are on hold or stop so much is that after the Sugarloaf lift accident the operating parameters were tightened by insurance companies and Killington took them to the very careful end of the extreme probably to get lower rates. God know they are CHEAP! High speed chairs do seem especially vulnerable to the weather and you cannot deny that the Snowdon quad has been the only lift operating at times during extreme weather. Still they need some new lifts.

Anywho K seems to be blowing a lot on SS as it looks huge right now (probably to help sell them Spring passes) although that height is magnified as it tops out closest to the lift where it is viewed. They seem to have blown a lot more snow at the roll over before the lower "headwall" (snicker) which would help in the spring as that spot always goes early along with the "S". How wet or dry the spring weather turns out is the key.

On the pass pricing I think Powder is evaluating the new competitive landscape with Vail moving into town and will probably offer lower pass pricing next year or at least not increase it. Their execs are fighting it out as we speak.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

At the current direction the northeast ski industry is going. I'll have to have June first skiing out of K or a significantly reduced pass price. It pains me to say it but the big K is slipping in many respects. I can only be loyal to a point. Hiking to Tuckerman is cheap. Skiing out west just became affordable. What has Killington done for me latley? Take out and shorten lifts. Got it. Time to shop around.